Here is how to manually set the time and date on BlackVue

defbear

Reaction score
Country
United States
This has been staring at me in the face for days. Right there all along. Hillbilly had done a nice post on Aug 8th saying he was fooling with the sdcard. Really nice that you are still plugging away Hillbilly. Someone else had put an old 1gb card in and thought they got the date back for a while. Between the two posts, it hit me. I've been keeping my camera plugged in all night. GPS on and parking mode off. Just to make sure the GPS battery is charged up. The creation date of 1.008 is 07-25-13 10:15. During the update some of us had our clocks default to that date. Ok so right now my camera says its 7-28-13 11:59. I Power down and load the sd chip into my Win7 PC. I delete the contents of the Record folder. Boot up and YES I find my date back to 7-25-13. The camera seems to be checking that folder to see the date and time. I've been looking at the creation date of the files created in there. I should have looked at the names of the files. Not the creation 'tag'.

So it let the camera create a couple of short videos. Took the sd card back to the PC. Each video has 3 files associated with it. They all have the same name with different file extensions. They are :'date'.mp4, 'date'.gps and 'date'.3gf.
I renamed all three to the current date and time, keeping the file extensions intact. I booted my camera. It now displays the date I put in.

Here is the bad news fellow Clockers. After you power down for the night, and then power up in the morning, is the time and date correct for today's new videos, or did the camera pick up where it left off last night by reading the card?

It's too late to go into GPS battery's vs software dissertation. Buh! We Clockers had working, updating, cameras before the update. There are also log files that reference the software build installed. And it doesn't say 1.008. How many different builds of Win7 are there. Perhaps there are some tweaks besides the language in 1.008. Just speculation. If you can program for different bit rates, you can also oops, stop updating via GPS by accident. I've written a lot of code for years. Another time.

I don't know if the camera is reading all three files or just one of them to get the date. I suspect the 3gf file is the one. I'll play more later. Perhaps the camera uses the last video date until the GPS kicks in. My GPS displays proper mph but won't update the date. Maybe it's like a weak car battery that will play your radio bit not start the car. But that's too Analog.

You only need to rename the newest 3 files to set the proper date and time.

It's not the solution to the problem.

Re: Here is how to manually set the time and date on BlackVu

I dont think thats the solution as My 350 which does NOT have GPS keeps time quite well even having been turned off for several days as car gets used less than once a week and its at least 3 weeks since I set the time last,

Also in my "Plugging away" ?????? I have loaded 1.008 on to several cards and put them in the camera and let it record for 5 mins.

Each time it couldnt access the satellite as in my garage you cant even get cell phone access.

The time has always been correct regardless of which card it was so dont think it reads the prev files to get the time as there WASNT ANY FILES IN THE RECORD FOLDER on the cards to read when put in the camera.
I do however run my rear camera through a Power Magic but hear the cameras shut down each time I park at home.

The front one actually bypasses the Power Magic by tweaking my wiring somewhat from standard so it wont have any power once the ignition is off.

I think something else like a faulty batch of cameras or batteries may be the problem.

It very well could be a bad batch of cameras! My term plugging away was a complement. You have been working for us 'Clockers' on a problem you personally do not have. A sincere thank you from me.
The cameras are little special purpose computers. They must have their own BIOS. Basic input output system. In the PC world we have bios by ami and Phoenix and others. They all work a little differently but achieve the same end. Perhaps Pittasoft has changed the bios a bit for different country's. Some of us has hit on a unique circumstance. And yes it could be a weak but not dead battery. Power problems can cause all sorts of havoc and make software behave just plain weird. My camera is three months old. It is a pity if the battery is causing problems.

I have been messaging back and forth with User Blackvue. He indicated yes there were time and date problems that they have not put their fingers on yet. They asked for my shipping address indicating they wanted my camera back for an autopsy and would send an exchange. I was,told I would be contacted again last Thursday. But Thursday, Friday and now the weekend and no contact. So either there was nothing new to say yet, or they sent me a package sans tracking or perhaps I'm getting one of the Torts my, now good friend, e350 coupe and I spoke of. So I am patiently waiting for their next communication.

Edit: BlackVue had sent a message I hadn't received. All on track.

Nope my date setting discovery is no answer at all. The hardware Clock has to work. But it could give some of us the emotional comfort of having the correct date on our videos :D

So, it looks like i have to send my faulty DR500GW back for warranty
As i'am still not able to set correct date and time for 3rd week already :(

No support from Pittasoft yet
Once they responded, but nothing about how to solve problem

This is troubling as this is a major bug which could cause evidences to be not recognised for insurance claims if an accident happens~! TOUCH WOOD~!

Truly disappointed with pitasoft for failure to find a solution and insist there is nothing wrong with their cameras.

Actually, i've found the same issue with DR400G-HD II model
When tested one

I've inserted my general test card - old 1Gb card and date was exactly 25 July 2013
But SD format has resolved this problem for DR400, unlike for DR500 (

p.s. renaming *mp4 *3gs *gps files with current date and time, solved problem as described above, till i'll delete all files again or format SD card.
p.p.s. i can't get GPS signal currently within 30 minutes already, don't know how date and time will work in this case

KoreanDVR said:
When tested one

I've inserted my general test card - old 1Gb card and date was exactly 25 July 2013

p.s. renaming *mp4 *3gs *gps files with current date and time, solved problem as described above, till i'll delete all files again or format SD card.
p.p.s. i can't get GPS signal currently within 30 minutes already, don't know how date and time will work in this case

The date and time is not set by the satellite as far as I understand The unit works out where you are by the time zone you put in the camera and then works out as an offset from UTC time or GMT

IE East coast Australia is + 10 hours It wont work out the time from prev file times as a camera without GPS keeps time but does not see a satellite.

Read this A satellite does NOT RECEIVE it only TRANSMITS

How does GPS work?

Calculating a Position

A GPS receiver calculates its position by a technique called satellite ranging, which involves measuring the distance between the GPS receiver and the GPS satellites it is tracking. The range (the range a receiver calculates is actually a pseudorange, or an estimate of range rather than a true range) or distance, is measured as elapsed transit time. The position of each satellite is known, and the satellites transmit their positions as part of the "messages" they send via radio waves. The GPS receiver on the ground is the unknown point, and must compute its position based on the information it receives from the satellites.

Measuring Distance to Satellites
The first step in measuring the distance between the GPS receiver and a satellite requires measuring the time it takes for the signal to travel from the satellite to the receiver. Once the receiver knows how much time has elapsed, it multiplies the travel time of the signal times the speed of light (because the satellite signals travel at the speed of light, approximately 186,000 miles per second) to compute the distance. Distance measurements to four satellites are required to compute a 3-dimensional (latitude, longitude and altitude) position.

In order to measure the travel time of the satellite signal, the receiver has to know when the signal left the satellite and when the signal reached the receiver. Knowing when the signal reaches the receiver is easy, the GPS receiver just "checks" its internal clock when the signal arrives to see what time it is. But how does it "know" when the signal left the satellite? All GPS receivers are synchronized with the satellites so they generate the same digital code at the same time. When the GPS receiver receives a code from a satellite, it can look back in its memory bank and "remember" when it emitted the same code. This little "trick" allows the GPS receiver to determine when the signal left the satellite.

SO u see no GPS no lock but a 350 still keeps time from an internal clock as does all GPS units

KoreanDVR said:
When tested one

The date and time is not set by the satellite as far as I understand The unit works out where you are by the time zone you put in the camera and then works out as an offset from UTC time or GMT

IE East coast Australia is + 10 hours It wont work out the time from prev file times as a camera without GPS keeps time but does not see a satellite.

A satellite does NOT RECEIVE it only TRANSMITS

Read this

How does GPS work?

Calculating a Position

A GPS receiver calculates its position by a technique called satellite ranging, which involves measuring the distance between the GPS receiver and the GPS satellites it is tracking. The range (the range a receiver calculates is actually a pseudorange, or an estimate of range rather than a true range) or distance, is measured as elapsed transit time. The position of each satellite is known, and the satellites transmit their positions as part of the "messages" they send via radio waves. The GPS receiver on the ground is the unknown point, and must compute its position based on the information it receives from the satellites.

Measuring Distance to Satellites
The first step in measuring the distance between the GPS receiver and a satellite requires measuring the time it takes for the signal to travel from the satellite to the receiver. Once the receiver knows how much time has elapsed, it multiplies the travel time of the signal times the speed of light (because the satellite signals travel at the speed of light, approximately 186,000 miles per second) to compute the distance. Distance measurements to four satellites are required to compute a 3-dimensional (latitude, longitude and altitude) position.

In order to measure the travel time of the satellite signal, the receiver has to know when the signal left the satellite and when the signal reached the receiver. Knowing when the signal reaches the receiver is easy, the GPS receiver just "checks" its internal clock when the signal arrives to see what time it is. But how does it "know" when the signal left the satellite? All GPS receivers are synchronized with the satellites so they generate the same digital code at the same time. When the GPS receiver receives a code from a satellite, it can look back in its memory bank and "remember" when it emitted the same code. This little "trick" allows the GPS receiver to determine when the signal left the satellite.

SO u see no GPS no lock but a 350 still keeps time from an internal clock as do all GPS units. Therefore if you have faulty hardware or software it will give false readings The problem is working out which is wrong.

My guess is that as only a small number are having this fault its the hardware as if it was software we all would have the problem

Think about this You say renaming the files with the correct time fixes it.

What about when you first load the firmware THERE ARE NO FILES WITH TIME IN THEM so how does your theory work then.????????????????????????????????????????????

The majority of cameras then start recording at the correct time so is very odd that ours do and yours doesnt

KoreanDVR said:
When tested one

Are you outside when waiting on GPS to lock on

Yes, tested it outdoor

Finally GPS signal received, date and time shows correctly, for a while
Will turn off for about an hour to see, how will it start without GPS (with correct time?) and when will receive GPS signal again

Already know, deleting files in Record will show incorrect date again

Hillbilly, the date/time is definitely set by the satellites!
The satellite sends utc =gmt date and time. The offset (timezone) you manually set in the unit is to calculate to local time. How it stores that and feeds the real time clock is the next mystery of course..

KoreanDVR said:
Yes, tested it outdoor

Finally GPS signal received, date and time shows correctly, for a while
Will turn off for about an hour to see, how will it start without GPS (with correct time?) and when will receive GPS signal again

Already know, deleting files in Record will show incorrect date again

Leave it on for several hours as it seems the battery is flat

tonymy01 said:
Hillbilly, the date/time is definitely set by the satellites!
The satellite sends utc =gmt date and time. The offset (timezone) you manually set in the unit is to calculate to local time. How it stores that and feeds the real time clock is the next mystery of course..

Yes so how do the cameras that dont have GPS keep time after they have been turned off for a while.

They must have an internal clock powered by a battery. My 350 was turned off for 3 days and yet the time is still correct.

Admittedly when you originally set it up you have to use the timesetter program to set the time but after that it seems to retain it.

Also when you set up a 500 with a new card and put the card in the camera I have sat in the garage WITHOUT a GPS signal and the recording for the 5 mins it was on is correct.

So can you explain that to me as if it needs the satellite for the time how does it do it without one. Beats me.

Maybe Blackvue can answer and tell us exactly how the cameras do it

Ok, here is last update
DR500 next start, will take time settings from last saved file
Even if GPS signal received, will not update time settings

For example, i've turned DR500 at 8:00 and then turned on at 9:00, DR500 will show time 8:00
GPS signal will not synchronize time at all (

KoreanDVR said:
Ok, here is last update
DR500 next start, will take time settings from last saved file
Even if GPS signal received, will not update time settings

For example, i've turned DR500 at 8:00 and then turned on at 9:00, DR500 will show time 8:00
GPS signal will not synchronize time at all (

As I said turn it on for up to 12 hours to charge the battery If that doesnt work send it back.

I dont think prev files have any bearing as I have already said that the time is there WITHOUT ANY TIMED files.

You can put a new update in and in live view as soon as it turns on the correct time shows up without sat lock or anything.

Hillbilly said:
Yes so how do the cameras that dont have GPS keep time after they have been turned off for a while.
The chipset has a real time clock, simple.
I never said it needed the satellite to keep the clock running,I said it uses the satellite timestamp to update the time of the real time clock (occasionally presumably, or never for a couple of people here..and thus they haven't had their real time clock properly set). The real time clock uses very tiny current draw so can keep running for long after the external power is removed.

Sent from my GT-N7105 using Tapatalk 4

tonymy01 said:
Hillbilly said:
The chipset has a real time clock, simple.
I never said it needed the satellite to keep the clock running,I said it uses the satellite timestamp to update the time of the real time clock (occasionally presumably, or never for a couple of people here..and thus they haven't had their real time clock properly set). The real time clock uses very tiny current draw so can keep running for long after the external power is removed.

Sent from my GT-N7105 using Tapatalk 4

Yes thats what I thought you meant. I had figured that out for the 350 so probably the fault is with the hardware in that the clock is not working if its stuck on one time.
Strange that the 500 can be updated and knows the time without a signal. I guess it retains it in memory but how does it know straight away.

I guess as long as it does we should be happy

Or else there is a loading fault with the firmware in some cameras as some work and some dont.

On checking the different links to the 1.008 all the files are identical so makes it harder to work out whats wrong.

Would be good if Blackvue could give a response and a reason for this

Based on what a couple of posters are experiencing, it seems to seed the initial date/time from one or more of the last modified files on the card. I still speculate that if the internal battery completely drains such that the internal clock can't be maintained, it would explain some of the behaviours here. Another scenario might be the real time clock got some junk info during the upgrade, and it can't deal with it until a total reset (internal & external power removed?)

tonymy01 said:
Based on what a couple of posters are experiencing, it seems to seed the initial date/time from one or more of the last modified files on the card. I still speculate that if the internal battery completely drains such that the internal clock can't be maintained, it would explain some of the behaviours here. Another scenario might be the real time clock got some junk info during the upgrade, and it can't deal with it until a total reset (internal & external power removed?)

Sounds the most logical reason actually.

RAGY said:
This is troubling as this is a major bug which could cause evidences to be not recognised for insurance claims if an accident happens~! TOUCH WOOD~!

Truly disappointed with pitasoft for failure to find a solution and insist there is nothing wrong with their cameras.

I have been a vocal critic but let me say AFAIK Pittasoft has never insisted that there is nothing wrong with their cameras. They are aware that there are issues that have affected a minority of cameras. They want to solve them. My camera is on its way to Korea for a bit of vivisection.

Back