Here you will see how important of 6Layers Glass Lens for Car Dash Cam!

rogaworld

Manufacturer
Reaction score
Country
China
Dash Cam
Firstscene Dash Cam
getSeal

Sad that I can not upload image by url, hope it is ok to see in the attachment.

Attachments

• LX2S LENS.jpg
    LX2S LENS.jpg
    228.9 KB · Views: 72
The infra red filter is one of the 6?

I always thought it was 6 lens elements + infrared filter.

Most of the cheaper cameras seem to have 6, what is the advantage of 7 like some of the better cameras have?

It's not just the number of layers of glass; their manufacturing precision, their coatings and their size play a part too.
Then there's the size and sensitivity of the sensor. Then there's the quality and reliability of the hardware and firmware.

Most of the cheaper cameras seem to have 6, what is the advantage of 7 like some of the better cameras have?
Dear Nigel,certainly, 7 is better than 6, however, few 7 in Car Dash Cam industry, Most 7 lens are equipped for unmanned plane

Dear Nigel,certainly, 7 is better than 6, however, few 7 in Car Dash Cam industry, Most 7 lens are equipped for unmanned plane

Also, in our opinion, the cost-effective device is the best choice! Cheap and High-Performance Device should be acceptable for the market

It's not just the number of layers of glass; their manufacturing precision, their coatings and their size play a part too.
Then there's the size and sensitivity of the sensor. Then there's the quality and reliability of the hardware and firmware.
Yes, Lens is one of the key part in Dash Cam.

I see the nanoQ 0903 dashcam has 7.

I also have 7 in my GitUp Git1 action camera which I also use as a dashcam.

7 does seem to give a sharper image, less blur towards the edges and corners.

I see the nanoQ 0903 dashcam has 7.

I also have 7 in my GitUp Git1 action camera which I also use as a dashcam.

7 does seem to give a sharper image, less blur towards the edges and corners.
Dear Nigel, as the @2000rpm said that the Major Components of Dash Cam is Lens, Sensor and Hardware(chipset), which means if use 7 lens, then it is necessary to upgrade the Sensore and Hardware... Anyway, if you demand the Car Dash Cam, you will find that 6Lens is enoug. And, you may consider to take sample to make the comparison, thank you
Enclosed the screen capture image which took by one of ROGA Dash Cam for your nice ref.

Attachments

• ROGA A10 Recording Video-03.jpg
    ROGA A10 Recording Video-03.jpg
    571.4 KB · Views: 35
  • ROGA A10 Recording Video-04.jpg
    ROGA A10 Recording Video-04.jpg
    441 KB · Views: 33
Enclosed the screen capture image which took by one of ROGA Dash Cam for your nice ref.
That does look to be a good lens :)

Of course if you use more expensive lens elements like aspherical and achromatic elements then you need less elements so the number of elements does not indicate the quality of the lens. In some ways less elements is good because there are less surfaces to cause reflections which spoil the image quality.

And while on the subject of lenses......some are wide angle, some medium angle and some are narrow angle.
The angle changes the way people perceive the same event.

I find cams with wide angle tend to make everything look far away and it's easy for a casual viewer to think I took too long to stop. Often the shallow angle of modern car windscreens means the cam sits so far back that half of what it sees is dashboard and A-pillars. But they capture more of what's around, albeit in lower detail. Better suited to being a rear cam than a front cam.

Narrow angle cams make everything look close and it's easy for a casual viewer to think I was too close to the car in front. Narrow angles capture less of what's around, but what they capture is in greater detail. Better suited to being a front cam than a rear cam.

I think the 'sweet spot' between capturing enough of the peripheral vision (wide angle), capturing enough detail (narrow angle), and giving a realistic perception of events to a random viewer, is a medium angle (about 130 degrees) and is how many cams are set up.

Narrow angle low-quality cams can give the perception of being better than wide-angle high quality cams, since details such as number plates are easier to read with a narrow angle, but the narrow angle can mean some things happen out of the camera's view.

@2000rpm and if (bad) things happen out of cam's view that's no good at all...

That does look to be a good lens :)

Of course if you use more expensive lens elements like aspherical and achromatic elements then you need less elements so the number of elements does not indicate the quality of the lens. In some ways less elements is good because there are less surfaces to cause reflections which spoil the image quality.
You are expert of Dash Cam! I do expect to make more communications with you :)

And while on the subject of lenses......some are wide angle, some medium angle and some are narrow angle.

I find cams with wide angle tend to make everything look far away and it's easy for a casual viewer to think I took too long to stop. Often the shallow angle of modern car windscreens means the cam sits so far back that half of what it sees is dashboard and A-pillars. But they capture more of what's around, albeit in lower detail. Better suited to being a rear cam than a front cam.

Narrow angle cams make everything look close and it's easy for a casual viewer to think I was too close to the car in front. Narrow angles capture less of what's around, but what they capture is in greater detail. Better suited to being a front cam than a rear cam.

I think the 'sweet spot' between capturing enough of the peripheral vision (wide angle), capturing enough detail (narrow angle), and giving a realistic perception of events to a random viewer, is a medium angle (about 130 degrees) and is how many cams are set up.

Narrow angle low-quality cams can give the perception of being better than wide-angle high quality cams, since details such as number plates are easier to read with a narrow angle, but the narrow angle can mean some things happen out of the camera's view.

Dear @2000rpm, thank you so much for your sharing, absolutely! Wide Angles/Medium Angles/Narrow Angles....Have their own advantages, just according to your demand to make a choice. :)

If use the Dash Cam as the Car Black Box, surely, the more wide visual angle the better.

its a double edged sword, wide yes to get the two front wings of the car in one frame. but too wide and a person unfamiliar with optic’s might come to the conclusion that you had sufficient time to avoid the accident as the car/pedestrian/ cyclist was a very long way in front/to the side of you, for you to avoid the collision and one might find the DVR is/was more of a hindrance

as near to the same angle of view to the human eye as possible would be good but not practical (in 35mm I think is a 42mm lens) as at that angle of view you’d need about 3 DVR’s to capture what you see out the front windscreen, for me personally, I like a DVR to have a lens of around 120 to 155 angle of view, one with an angle of view of 170 is possible, but to me at that angle, someone only a foot or 2 infront of you will look as if they’re 2 or 3 yards in front

its a double edged sword, wide yes to get the two front wings of the car in one frame. but too wide and a person unfamiliar with optic’s might come to the conclusion that you had sufficient time to avoid the accident as the car/pedestrian/ cyclist was a very long way in front/to the side of you, for you to avoid the collision and one might find the DVR is/was more of a hindrance

as near to the same angle of view to the human eye as possible would be good but not practical (in 35mm I think is a 42mm lens) as at that angle of view you’d need about 3 DVR’s to capture what you see out the front windscreen, for me personally, I like a DVR to have a lens of around 120 to 155 angle of view, one with an angle of view of 170 is possible, but to me at that angle, someone only a foot or 2 infront of you will look as if they’re 2 or 3 yards in front
@mollydog real useful knowledge, that's why, all of our ROGA back camera(rearview camera) use Nallow Angle(120degree) Lens only! and all of ROGA rearview camera support to automatically display the reverse image & distance line when back the car(like the enclosed image)

Attachments

• Rearview Camera.jpg
    Rearview Camera.jpg
    200.6 KB · Views: 17
ROGA rearview camera support to automatically display the reverse image & distance line when back the car
I like that feature! But sadly my car's rear-view mirror has sensors to dim the side-view mirrors.

I like that feature! But sadly my car's rear-view mirror has sensors to dim the side-view mirrors.
Dear @M---, thanks for your post. Excuse me, would you mind tell tell me what's the rear-view mirror ahs sensor do dim the side-view mirrors? Also, the ROGA rearview mirror DVR should replace the original car rearview mirro. ROGA LX51S-02.gif Wiring Diagram.jpg

Back