Here's my needs/wants. What should I get?

BigMike7801

Reaction score
Country
United States
My wish-list:
  • GPS
  • Ability to stamp speed to the recorded video.
  • Speed on video needs to be in MPH
  • I want to be able to turn the camera around in case I get pulled over so I can film the interaction with the cop.
  • Ability to read license plates from oncoming traffic going around 30mph (~50KPH) in daylight.
  • Screen
  • Under $175 US
  • The temperatures very here from about 30F to 95F (-1C to 35C)

Here's some of the models I'm considering:
  • KDLINKS X1
  • Dexors X7
  • Drivewatch 380G (Only does KPH)
  • Dome D201 (Only does KPH)
  • DOD LS460W (A little more money than I want to spend)
  • AUSDOM A261 (Doesn't stamp speed to video)

Last edited:
sorry, missed that bit, would be well over budget I guess if it did, there are other compromises on your shortlist though so I guess sometimes something has to give
Yes there are compromises, all of which could potentially be fixed with firmware ;)

I know jokiin won't suggest his cams, but although a touch over your price, they will meet those requirements. The RC has a nice screen.

I should add that I too was convinced I needed a screen. I thought it would be a good thing to have to show the police right there at the scene if needed. But now that I have tried a A118C and the MG600G I can see that the 118C screen would be pretty much useless for that due to size and location. The MG600G ( same form factor as the SGZC12RC ) is better for sure but in the end I have ordered a JooVuuX as I think being able to view on my iPhone/iPad is a better option for me.

Last edited:
screen is convenient for settings etc but it does take a decent size screen to be useful for playback, even some of the cameras that have large screens are still going to be a struggle to see any appreciable amount of detail

screen is convenient for settings etc but it does take a decent size screen to be useful for playback, even some of the cameras that have large screens are still going to be a struggle to see any appreciable amount of detail
How do you change settings for JooVuu X without a screen? Do you hook it up to a computer?

There is an app for your phone IOS/Android.

As jokiin mentions, it is all about what you are expecting from the screen. If only to see the settings and current view then the Street Guardians will be fine. But if you want a screen for playback ( like I do) then I think I need a bigger, portable screen ( iphone/iPad)

Last edited:
yeah iPhone/Android app as mentioned but I believe they're doing a PC program as well
Well maybe this is a viable option. Is there a recommended retailer for the US?

Thanks for looking at us! FYI, we're working on getting MPH on the cameras as well as KPH via firmware update. Just waiting on our manufacturer, but as soon as we have the upgrade we will release it along with instructions on updating.

Just to be aware the JooVuuX is pretty much a brand new camera so is still going thru some growing pains. But they are working hard to solve all the bugs and I trust they will in the end so that's why I did order one. I'm in Thailand so I ordered mine direct from the OEM but for you Pier28 is the US distributor and from what I see on this forum their customer service is second to none.

Just to be aware the JooVuuX is pretty much a brand new camera so is still going thru some growing pains. But they are working hard to solve all the bugs and I trust they will in the end so that's why I did order one. I'm in Thailand so I ordered mine direct from the OEM but for you Pier28 is the US distributor and from what I see on this forum their customer service is second to none.
Are there some specific growing pains that are causing issues right now?

there's still some work happening with the apps for them at the moment, @JooVuu would be able to give you a more accurate update than anyone else though

Have a look here: http://joovuu.com/community/ I do believe that a lot of the bugs you are seeing there are from the very first batch of cameras that were sent out to beta testers and you will see the great support they are giving to address all of this. I have every confidence that this will be a great little camera in the end.

I should mention that out of the 4 different cameras that I have experience with the form factor of the A118C is the one I liked the best. If the SG9665GC had WiFi I would be a jokiin customer. 1) for the video quality and 2) for the after sales service.

• KDLINKS X1
  • Dexors X7
  • Dome D201 (Only does KPH)
  • DOD LS460W (A little more money than I want to spend)
  • AUSDOM A261 (Doesn't stamp speed to video)

I would delete all but the 380G from your shortlist, as the others rely on an internal LiPo battery to save the video clip being recorded when external power is cut.

These batteries are almost guaranteed to fail within 18 months, possibly much sooner. Then you can throw the camera away, or source a replacement battery, crack the camera case open, cut out the old battery & solder-in the replacement.

The 380G uses a capacitor instead of a LiPo, & should outlast the rest of the camera. I suggest that you choose between it & other capacitor-equipped DashCams.

Back