Hevc H.265

Gintaras

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, i just bought Viofo 119 V3 and trying to understand, still learning that dash cam. This is first cam i ever had, so lots to learn probably.

I tried to watch some footage from cam on PC, most of files are working good, but some, and mostly with P letter at the end (parking mode i guess) cant be opened. I have this error attached here.

Memory card bought from Viofo website, class 10.

Tried 2 different laptops, two players....

Attachments

• error.jpg
    error.jpg
    64.4 KB · Views: 43
I'd stick with the 264 format. 265 is OK if you have a powerful graphics card but it is power hungry.

Your problem seems to be missing 265 codes though.

That's what it should be by default.

I seem to recall there is a trick to enable 265 which you must have set by accident maybe.

Hidden H.265 Option​

The default compression used for the A119 V3 is the common H.264 codec. However VIOFO has included a hidden H.265 HEVC codec option.

While video quality is virtually the same using H.264 and H.265, file sizes are approximately 20% smaller when using the H.265 codec. However there are some drawbacks with H.265:

1. Requires more system resources hence generates more heat in the camera (not ideal in hot environments)
  2. Requires more processing power to view and edit
  3. May not be compatible with older computers and televisions
Since one of the primary purposes of a dash cam is to have video evidence of an event that you can provide to police or an insurance company, we recommend sticking with the more popular H.264 codec. Those video files are more compatible with older equipment which can minimize head aches when submitting to agencies that don’t have the equipment to view H.265 files.

That being said to access the hidden H.265 HEVC codec you will have to:

1. Stop Recording by pressing the record button
  2. Long press the MIC button for 4 seconds
  3. Enter the MENU and select the resolution settings.
  4. You should see a 3840×2160 24fps option (do not use this option since it is fake 4k). However all resolutions will now record with H.265. See pictures below:
How you turn it off is another thing.

Ah, found it:

To go back to H.264, simply repeat the process with the “Mic” button. You’ll see the 4K option go away, letting you know you’re back to normal.

Last edited:
Since you are using a PC, I suggest installing the "K-Lite Codec Pack", which should sort the error message. Using H265 is OK if your PC can cope, but for most people doesn't have significant advantage.

The main posted issue is that if you have need to forward any footage to the authorities they may not be able to view it.

Some are probably still on Windows XP :D

The main posted issue is that if you have need to forward any footage to the authorities they may not be able to view it.

Some are probably still on Windows XP :D
Most UK police now use operation snap, which can definitely do better than Windows XP!

Although from experience you don't want the files too big because they have upload limits that are not good for 4K H264 files, and unfortunately they don't accept edited files, so it is questionable if you can cut them down to fit.
But that is best sorted by not going beyond 3 minute segments.

Guys, i am impressed how active this forum is, just thank you all!!

May i ask, what is best optional resolution for Viofo 119 v3? I can have higher res, but 30fps, or lower res but 60 fps.
And, how to i check what type is video? like, is it 264 or 265? as i tried to change this a few times, nothing turned on nothing said that it was changed...now not sure what is set to :D

The best is always the native resolution, i think the A119 V3 are a 1440p camera ?
Some have a option / ability to extrapolate up to a higher resolution, but as this is from a smaller resolution sensor that is never going to be better.
On the other hand going down is doable, often you can gain FPS so maybe be able to do 60 FPS at 1080p, but the added FPS is not really needed for a accident recorder so i would stick to 30 FPS video.

I have once compared 2 similar cameras but the one running 60 FPS and the other 30 FPS, if the 60 FPS one captured something the 30 FPS one did not, it was extremely rare, so i forgot all about 60 FPS being the new holy grail in dashcams.
Only way to move forward is with new better sensors, and maybe technologies like HDR

i have 1 more question about parking mode:

i set to event detection only, g sensor parking high.

so i left the car, REC flashing (sleeping). i wanted to check parking mode event detection, so from side of the car i was pushing car, and little, and hard, so ''fake'' accident while parked. But camera didnt give a crap :D still flashing. But if i pass through the front window in 2 meters distance, oh hello, it wakes up for this thing!? :D

i thought little car movement will trigger event detection mode on... :(

The problem with asking for settings recommendations is that we all have different requirements.

As you will see from other posts my favourite is firmware 1.03 as I need the sharpest screen captures. Others require better night footage so are using the Mod firmware like 2.6T.

I don't need parking mode so I can't help with that as I've turned that off.

And, how to i check what type is video? like, is it 264 or 265?
H265 has an extra icon on the screen, a white file like icon.

H.265 offers higher data compression rate of video file than those H.264. The H.265 files are smaller and use less storage space. However, the H.264 files can be played on (almost) every computer. The H.265 files are only compatible with some new computers with pre-installed codec. The VLC media player should be able to play H.265 files and could further convert H.265 files to H.264 files. Try to update your VLC player. Search online for playing and conversion instruction of H.265 files.

H.265 offers higher data compression rate of video file than those H.264. The H.265 files are smaller and use less storage space. However, the H.264 files can be played on (almost) every computer. The H.265 files are only compatible with some new computers with pre-installed codec. The VLC media player should be able to play H.265 files and could further convert H.265 files to H.264 files. Try to update your VLC player. Search online for playing and conversion instruction of H.265 files.
On the OP's A119 V3, there is a bitrate setting for choosing the compression rate which offers a good range, so higher data compression from H265 is not actually an advantage, you have that option anyway. Most new computers should cope easily with H265, although some do need the H265 codec to be installed as an option, due to licensing issues.

Is H265 enabled by default when the latest firmware is installed? Is there any way to turn it off or turn it back on?

@Gintaras' experience is a superb example of something I've been cautioning about for several years on this forum ever since H.265 was introduced as an update to the older H.264 compression scheme.

As a long time member here I've noticed that some dash cam owners lose sight of the fact that the primary purpose of dash cams is to record evidence in the event of a traffic incident. It is not just for our personal entertainment. As evidence in a legal matter you may be obligated to provide a copy of your footage in its original unedited form to law enforcement, insurance companies, attorneys, courts of law, etc.

Many of these entities will have computers that do not have the latest technologies or the required video codecs installed on their machines. Indeed, many of the people within the chain of evidence custody will not have the computer skills to know what the problem is and in fact will have no idea what the terms "H.265" or "H.264" even mean. They will only know that they cannot view your video. In all likelihood, an insurance adjuster or some other bureaucrat may simply move on to the next case.

I have learned from personal experience with dash cams that it is vital when handing off dash cam video evidence to third parties such as a law enforcement officer, an insurance company, attorney, prosecutor or court of law that you make it as easy and idiot proof as humanly possible for the parties that receive your video to view it, otherwise your matter will never get the attention or result you are hoping for.

Many dash cam owners focus primarily on viewing their videos on their home computers but it is important to remember that we are really making videos that, at the end of the day, are evidence really intended for viewing by others as a result of a legal matter such as a serious motor vehicle accident. In many instances, you could be required to provide an unaltered copy of your original video, especially in a serious matter such as a lawsuit that might involve serious injury or a fatality.

While H.265 is slowly making the transition to becoming the next de facto standard, it is simply not there yet.

For this reason, H.265 should be avoided at all costs!

Back