Hevc H.265

Most UK police now use operation snap, which can definitely do better than Windows XP!

Whatever the UK police may use is only a tiny facet of the problem. As mentioned it could be one's insurance company, a court of law, a clerk, an attorney's office, or wherever.

And as is so often the case Nigel, you ignore the fact that there is a big world outside of the UK where things may be different than your personal frame of reference. @Kremmen's post, which you were responding to could apply anywhere in the world.

Last edited:
I run H265 on the 4K camera to save space and lower the wear and tear on the SD card.

@Dashmellow is correct as I ran into a case where the opposite party said they have trouble viewing a footage that is taken on a latest dash cam video with H.264 compression. Basically the other party's insurance was trying to weasel out of admitting running a red light after receiving a traffic citation from a police officer and having to pay a now upside down SUV (Basically other drive ran a right light and I T-boned his car and his car turned upside down). My insurance company asked me to put the video on youtube and I have to teach my insurance adjustor how I can't alter the video and they have to figure out how to view the video themselves as and I have to send them the Blackvue video player (which is no better than the Windows Media Player or VLC Player). At the end the case was settled by insurance company. The funny thing is that the video plays perfectly fine in a 5+ year old laptop (H264 compression format) so I don't understand what the 3rd party means by they can't view it.

Realistically speaking if people want to make excuses they will do that regardless of what. Just make sure you feel protected and then stick with your story if you are correct.

I run H265 on the 4K camera to save space and lower the wear and tear on the SD card.

@Dashmellow is correct as I ran into a case where the opposite party said they have trouble viewing a footage that is taken on a latest dash cam video with H.264 compression. Basically the other party's insurance was trying to weasel out of admitting running a red light after receiving a traffic citation from a police officer and having to pay a now upside down SUV (Basically other drive ran a right light and I T-boned his car and his car turned upside down). My insurance company asked me to put the video on youtube and I have to teach my insurance adjustor how I can't alter the video and they have to figure out how to view the video themselves as and I have to send them the Blackvue video player (which is no better than the Windows Media Player or VLC Player). At the end the case was settled by insurance company. The funny thing is that the video plays perfectly fine in a 5+ year old laptop (H264 compression format) so I don't understand what the 3rd party means by they can't view it.

Realistically speaking if people want to make excuses they will do that regardless of what. Just make sure you feel protected and then stick with your story if you are correct.

That's very interesting.

I am surprised that the insurance company asked you to put the video on YouTube. Attorneys and insurance companies usually insist that video evidence like this must remain confidential because putting it in public view can compromise a case. Did they request that you post it privately? Also, there is the issue of YouTube videos being over compressed and of poor quality, but that may well be another example of an insurance company bureaucrat who has no technical clue as I talked about in my previous post.

That's very interesting.

I am surprised that the insurance company asked you to put the video on YouTube. Attorneys and insurance companies usually insist that video evidence like this must remain confidential because putting it in public view can compromise a case. Did they request that you post it privately? Also, there is the issue of YouTube videos being over compressed and of poor quality, but that may well be another example of an insurance company bureaucrat who has no technical clue as I talked about in my previous post.
The person that was handling my case was not very experienced. I have to "walk" and show this individual what's the proper way and professional way to handle such instances. I also reminded this person that video evidence must be presented tamper proof and putting videos on youtube equates to alteration of evidence thus disqualifies its use.

It was an eye opener and surprising experience indeed. Lucky I worked in a regulated industry who deals with frequent audits from regulatory body so I know how to properly handle data and evidence.

The UK Police always require an original clip and will check for any changes.

Back