Hi all, and I'm having trouble already.

peterm

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Dash Cam
DR650GW-2CH
First post on here, so hello from Bribie Island in south east Queensland.

I've got a DR500GW-HD and it's playing up. I've been through quite a few posts and found an excellent tutorial on replacing the battery.

My problems are that the date shows as 1/1/70 on the viewer, the files are getting jumbled up and some don't even seem to have recorded (gaps in the playback). A bit confusing is the GPS side of things: On the viewer screen, the speed and an incorrect date, March '73 I think come up in the lower left corner, but even though the blue light is on, I get nothing but a map of somewhere else and no speed, position etc, when I click on 'map'.
It's the same if I click on 'my way viewer.'

I sent off for, and received a 32GB Pittasoft card from BlackVue, put it in and it's still the same. I formatted it in the camera, but it made no difference. I don't know how to format the card in my iMac or Macbook air.

I've emailed BlackVue and am waiting for a reply, but wondered if anyone has some suggestions.

I've looked on ebay for the MS621FE battery, but most seem to be non genuine, not all, but I'd like to see Japan stamped on them. Does anyone know where I could get one in Australia ?

Soldering's no problem for me if I need a battery, but the time to post them here from ebay puts me off a bit.

Sorry to waffle on with the first post, but I want to get this camera fixed without having to splash out on postage to Melbourne and back. I want it back in the car asap too.

Thanks for reading.

don't know anyone that sells a Japanese battery, you'll probably need to buy from eBay, not the kind of thing anyone keeps

Thanks jokiin. Yeah, looks like ebay. I did find a bloke that reckons he can get one in about a week, for about $20.00. Bit rich eh.

Jokiin.

I ordered one from Germany and paid $10.00 all up. I went for that one because it had Japan stamped on it. I know: anyone could stamp anything on it, but it keeps this old bugger happy. I reckon the bloke that said he could get one from his warehouse in about a week, might have had the same thing in mind, making 100% profit. Cynical ain't I.

Gabacho.

Thanks for the welcome.

I've had a reply to my email from 'auto black box' who said they'd repair it for $69.00 + $10.00 return postage + the postage to get it down to Melbourne. As I'm now on a pension, I'll put the new battery in and see how it goes. If it still plays up, I'll have to bite the bullet and send it away.

I must admit to being disappointed with this camera, as a mate bought a cheap one (about$70.00) at the same time as me and his is still going strong.

Jokiin.

I ordered one from Germany and paid $10.00 all up. I went for that one because it had Japan stamped on it. I know: anyone could stamp anything on it, but it keeps this old bugger happy. I reckon the bloke that said he could get one from his warehouse in about a week, might have had the same thing in mind, making 100% profit. Cynical ain't I.

Gabacho.

Thanks for the welcome.

I've had a reply to my email from 'auto black box' who said they'd repair it for $69.00 + $10.00 return postage + the postage to get it down to Melbourne. As I'm now on a pension, I'll put the new battery in and see how it goes. If it still plays up, I'll have to bite the bullet and send it away.

I must admit to being disappointed with this camera, as a mate bought a cheap one (about$70.00) at the same time as me and his is still going strong.

Hi Peter,

With the information that was presented at the time the cost of repair is based on the costs associated with our staff handling the RMA for you. Your camera has been working well for the first 15 months of use, and will still be functioning OK but does need a replacement WTC battery. Battery units are known for not lasting forever in some cases failing after 8 months or going strong for 3 years. This particular component is vulnerable as it is a battery being used in very hot conditions.

We are happy to offer you a reduce price of $49.00 including free postage for the repair work on your unit which is a number of months outside of the warranty period. Of course inside the warranty period we would replace the unit free of charge.

Thank you,

Thanks Hillbilly. I've ordered one and it's due between today (too late) and Wednesday. Thanks all the same.

Well here we are, 2nd Feb' and the battery still hasn't arrived. Ok, it's coming from Germany, but gizabreak !

Hillbilly, if you can give me a ring on 3408 2784, I'd like to come over and pick up one those batteries if that's ok.

Hi wozzzzza. Yes thanks, I read it and watched the video. That part's all good, just waiting for the battery... and waiting.

Well the battery is here. I took the camera apart, and noticed that the speaker wires had been squashed and had bare spots of wire where the insulation had been broken. I took pictures of them and carried on. When I went to take the old battery out, I noticed that the outboard terminal (positive) was dis-connected. The solder pad itself was right off of the pcb. I should have stopped then and sent it back for a repair. Even though it's out of warranty, these were obvious manufacturing/assembly faults.... Noooo, I had to carry on and try to bridge the gap with solder. After about an hour, I finally managed to melt what looks like a surface mount diode, so that's me buggered. I should imagine that the pcb complete with lens etc, wouldn't be worth bothering with. I might drop the retailer a line and see if anything can be done, you never know.

Hi Wozza, I'm (hopefully) posting a pic' that shows the solder pad adrift I moved it up slightly for clarity) and in the background, you can see the two bare patches in the black wire.
Camera.jpg

cant see the top of the board.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Speed Racer DR500GW-HD 12
B DR500GW-HD 13
Back