Hi from Australia

h45e

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Hi,
Just bought myself a 2020 Seltos GT and wanting to get a 4k dashcams that I can transfer the video files to my NAS. First time I bought a brand new car and want to protect my investment.

Gday. Welcome to the forum.
Automated transfer are as good as not possible, only with blackvue cameras are that sort of possible with a program some user made, and i am not even sure that is to a NAS.
4K might be a tall order in AU in the summer at least, these cameras do already run hot due to being 4K, so if you also contemplate stuff like using parking mode, then you will probably run into problems.

you should not keep all your footage, really its just when you had a event you need it, otherwise its just what i call garbage data not worth saving.

Thanks, I'm looking for a camera that can easily read people's licence plate number for crash and dash (happening way to often now - what happened to own your mistake?) I would love it to be able to park in my garage and download the footage direct to my Synology NAS at night, then on the weekend I can look over the footage. Thinking of getting a DR750-2CH LTE now.

Problem is the smart cameras, like blackvue - thinkware well it is not the cameras with the best image quality, granted it is not garbage either but just cuz it say 4K and actually is true 4K ( lots of fake 4K cameras out there ) then it do not mean top of the line plate capture abilities.
I think it is agreed upon that in regard to IQ the cheaper viofo A129 duo pro ( or whatever it is named ) are a bit better than the 2 other, and it still have a few issues to deal with too.
Blackvue and thinkware also seem to go out of their way to make sure only their own memory cards work in their cameras,,,,, and that's just a scary approach.

Hit and run are also on the up here in Denmark, but i have never heard of anyone actually experiencing it.
But even with a camera, a plate capture are not a given thing, first of all you will want a fair amount of light, up here in Denmark with the normal winter weather ( cloudy ) getting a plate capture ( on easy to read EU plates ) are far from a sure thing.
And you also want speeds and angle of attack to not be too far from ideal.

As i understand from Rick the boss of Street Guardian ( AU brand of cameras ) then the AU plates are problematic also from all the stuff allowed on them, in EU you cant have any stuff on plates, must be white background with blackk letters, and any national code or so must be off to the left side of the plate, no wavy lines , no koalas or kangaroos or what ever crazy are allowed in AU.

Still you should get a dashcam in that Kia, any dashcam are better than no dashcam, but plate capture are still a major issue of all cameras, it is a good thing at night or in low light to see the plate yourself and call it out for the microphone to record, cuz your cameras probably dident catch it.

And 4K cameras due to having way more smaller pixels on a given sensor size are not as good as the same sensor size with larger pixels that form up a 1080p image.
The larger the pixel on the sensor are the better it is at capturing light when there are not much of it around, but the best low light 1080p sensors are still far from miracle makers.

Back