Hidden dual dashcam with the best quality and reliability

brigadir

Reaction score
Country
Ukraine
*dual, sorry :)

I'm searching for a dashcam which fits these requirements:
- separate front and rear camera, and separate DVR box - it's main restriction because there is no space behind mirror in my car:
IMG_2017_.jpg
- no overheats, lags and turn-offs
- good picture quality at night
- GPS, wi-fi and other features are welcome

Thinkware F800 seems to fit my needs except it's huge, so I couldn't hide it behind the mirror. Other option - Koonlung k1s but it's poor in reliability and old (is there mk2 version of 2017 or it's just new label on old hardware?). Another good device - upcoming Street Guardian SG9663DC (dual cam) should be pretty good at quality if it shares params of SG9665GCV3, but it still is too large and doesn't have some features F800 has. What else is worth to take a look?

It's pretty challenging quest to pick the best device for these needs. I even thought to buy separate front dashcam with external camera and another dashcam for rear view (ex. VIOFO A119 for rear and __what's_here__ for front).

I even have some crazy ideas which I hope I will not start to materializing (I'm familiar with soldering and programming):
- disassemble F800, extract camera and solder it to long cord - risky because it can stop working at all
- assemble custom dashcam on Raspberry PI - opens door for extensive features but will take months of time and probably will lose in video quality

What do you suggest guys?

SGZC12RC looks good although it lacks many features. But it is 3 years old. Is it still competitor for fresh dashcams? While reading the forum, it looks like in 2016 everyone was expecting "new dual dashcams by the end of the year" which should bring market to new level...

Found today Lukas Qvia AR790 - fits pretty well into my requirements and costs not so much. Strange that it's not popular. How reliable it is - still open question.
71gJuud%2B8vL._SL1500_.jpg

Okay, I've purchased the Lukas Qvia AR790 dashcam and now can share some first-experience notes.
Starting from bad stuff:
- main camera is too large. I didn't notice it's dimensions before purchasing - on images it looks smaller
- Wi-Fi speed is slow when downloading records to iPhone
Good stuff:
- pretty good video quality in difficult conditions - at night and in front of blinking sun- or lamp-light
- the same for microphone - good quality, sounds are reach and clear
- excellent performance - it starts recording in ~3 seconds after powering on, writes continuous and emergent videos in parallel, no lags/stucks/restarts (it's just my one day experience)
And at last, what could be little bit better, maybe Lukas engineers will read this :)
- no option to turn off assistant voice but keep rings, the "Drive safely" message starts distracting soon
- iOS app is 'so-so' - poor UI, not intuitive synchronization of settings, unnamed buttons etc...
- and corresponding manual also has some gaps in info (too many cautions about "we are not responsible for any fault", not clear usage and installation instructions)

Overall it's pretty good dashcam. I still have to figure out how to mount it on windshield to make it stealthy, but all other my requirements are fulfilled by it.

Back