High End Dash Cam with Wide Angle Lens

nOrbX187

Reaction score
Country
United States
I'm looking in to my first dash cam and found this website through reading reviews on Amazon. Information provided here is great.

Based on my research, I have narrowed it down to either the BlackVue DR750LW-2CH or the Lukas LK-9750 DUO Type D. I really like the Lukas as far as the features (OBD and built-in GPS) but do like the wider angle for the front camera on the BlackVue.

I think I am leaning towards the Lukas. The main question I have: is there is a camera equivalent to the Lukas but with a 160 degree angle on the front camera? If not, can anyone recommend a camera that has the following features:
  • 2 channel with front and back cameras
  • 1080p 30fps minimum for both cameras (60 fps preferred)
  • good night time capture (seems like the Lukas cameras are better at this than the BlackVue)
  • at least 64GB SD/microSD support
  • 160 degree angle (for front camera at least, preferred for both)
  • GPS capability (preferred built-in)
  • G-sensor
If there is nothing that matches all the requirements, I will probably get the Lukas.

Thanks for the help!

Have you checked out the Panorama X2?

Hi GJHS, just looked at it and according to DCT, the diagonal angle is 120 which is less than the Lukas and BlackVue. The night vision looks good though, better than the BlackVue.

Keep in mind, the wider the FOV, the further things look. 120 is a nice in between.

Have you checked out the Panorama X2?
I would second this. I am hoping to save up to get to pick one up at some point. If you want a high quality camera this is the way to go.

The OBD feature on the Lukas cams are cool, its just too bad its not universal so chance are it cant undestand the language your car speak.
And it allso seem like lukas are dropping the ball when it come to customer support and QA.
Allso i would not bother too much with the super wide cameras, all that mean is you will se more of your A-pillars in the footage.

My only personal gripe with the X2 is that it do not save footage from both cams on 1 regular SD card, and the large front camera.
I am not a fan of the micro SD cards, especially not when its seated so deep in a devise you have to use a nail to get it in and out.

GJHS and kamkar1: Thanks for the info. I was thinking about the A-pillars being an issue with the wider view cameras. I figured it would depend on where it is installed and how much the front windshield slopes. Wish there was some easy way to test without have to go through trial and error.

I was driving in my car earlier today and was thinking where I would be able to mount the front camera, especially with the large screen. Then wondered if there was a dash cam set which was just the camera itself with no screen but the cameras would be controlled/viewed by my smartphone (which I pretty much always have with me). Did some more research when I got back home and saw the BlackVue DR650GW-2CH.

Is there a better 2 channel set like the DR650GW-2CH? I read the reviews on this site and it seems to be somewhat positive but some of the cons point to image quality I was watching the videos the company has on their site and noticed on the front day video you really couldn't read the license plate that well while the vehicles were in motion.

Thanks for the replies. Again, this is my first foray in to dash cams. Didn't realize there were so many companies manufacturing dash cams so I'm still trying to research what will fit my requirements.

BlackVue bitrate is low and blocky. It's better if you install the hacked Russian firmware though.

Panorama X2 night quality is excellent. The medium wide lens is just right. (Not too wide not too narrow)

Thanks for the suggestion. The reason I was hesitant about the X2 was originally the viewing angle and the size of the front camera. I was looking at the Lukas LW-7950 WD but realized the X2 is actually smaller than the LW-7950 front camera. Still debating between the two but now leaning toward the Panorama.

...I was thinking about the A-pillars being an issue with the wider view cameras. I figured it would depend on where it is installed and how much the front windshield slopes....

I don't think you'll have much issue with that unless you mount whatever camera you get way back in the passenger compartment.

I have this cam - https://www.amazon.com/gp/B00HMNFWYW which has the widest published FOV I've seen

..installed in this car - https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/attachments/copy-jpg.10920/

..with this mount - https://www.amazon.com/gp/B00JWGC29U
..and do not get the A-pillars in the videos -

The edge of the frame is at a point not even halfway between the A-pillar and the front corner of the vehicle.

if that video is from that lens then it's nowhere near 160, the figures published are generally way off anyway as they often quote a lens max figure rather than an actual figure

if that video is from that lens then it's nowhere near 160, the figures published are generally way off anyway as they often quote a lens max figure rather than an actual figure

Just when I thought dash cam buying could not get more confusing it suddenly changes that idea.

Probably 160 diagonal, likely 140 or so edge-to-edge.

Probably 160 diagonal, likely 140 or so edge-to-edge.

numbers quoted are generally diagonal max of the lens, depending on which sensor is used with that lens will vary what angle is actually possible, it would be closer to 135 diagonal looking at the picture

numbers quoted are generally diagonal max of the lens, depending on which sensor is used with that lens will vary what angle is actually possible, it would be closer to 135 diagonal looking at the picture
I'll take your word on that as you have much more experience than I in these matters. It will be interesting to compare against the SG9665GC when I get it.

The ammount of A-pillars you will have in the footage offcourse allso depend on how close you can get the lens to the window, factors playing in there is slope on window and the form factor of the dashcam and how the camera is mounted.
My lukas LK-7500 have 3-4 inche of the bottom a-pillar in the footage, but as so many dashcams my lukas is not small and its shape and mount cant do any better in my little car.
The larger pocket camera shaped dashcams like the dual lukas cameras and allso the popular X2 do have some limits on how close you can get the front camera to the windscreen, and not least how stealthy your install will be.

Me personal i am willing to go as low as 90 degree lens if need be, the warped sense of depth perception the wide angle lenses give bother me as things appear to be far off and IRL the car in front is only 2-3 feet from your bumper.

Back