High pitched whine audible in videos and from dashcam itself

varg

Reaction score
Country
United States
Dash Cam
Mini 0805
I searched around a bit and saw that others have had an issue with this, though only one mentioned being able to hear it if you hold the camera to your ear. The audio is overwhelmed by this ~3100hz whine, which makes sense since you can hear it coming from the camera itself. My question is has anybody fixed this, and if not how is the gearbest warranty process? I got it in December of 2015, so it's only a few months old, and the whine started last week.

I know sometimes it is possible to fix whine from electronics by covering the offending component with a glob of hot glue or silicone, maybe one of you has done this and knows where the sound is coming from? It's probably a ceramic capacitor, I doubt there are any coils in this thing. It's a long shot but I'm hoping for it, because I know the warranty exchange/repair process can be quite inconvenient and will probably leave me without a dashcam for some time and probably paying for shipping. It's not the charger, it does this on battery power outside of the car or hooked up to a cellphone charger too.

Last edited:
I have the same thing in one of mine. It's doing that on the camera in my truck, but not my van. I was thinking it was picking up something from where I had placed it on the window.. didn't think to troubleshoot it at all.

good luck with that

Is it that bad?

I have the same thing in one of mine. It's doing that on the camera in my truck, but not my van. I was thinking it was picking up something from where I had placed it on the window.. didn't think to troubleshoot it at all.

Don't bother troubleshooting your installation. It's internal. There are many surface mount capacitors and a couple of inductors inside, and one or more of them are the culprit.

wait and see, the way they handle after sales is pretty poor unfortunately

Uggh.... I may just end up dealing with the noise then. Of course that's the price I pay for trying to save a few dollars by getting a cheaper model and ordering from a cheaper source.

Back