High quality dash cam recommendation

KarenD

Reaction score
Country
Australia
The car gets parked in the hot Aussie sun in a car park all day so after something which can deal with high temperature and also offer very good quality video recording. I'm looking to do both front and rear and came across the Thinkware F750 but i'm not sure how this camera stacks up with whats available out there ?

Not bothered on price just want something durable and top quality.

Just to clarify I believe has the voltage cut off and timer built into the cam so don't need any third party power management devices?

Thanks heaps for all the suggestions.

If you want to leave it running while you're parked in those conditions any camera will die an early death in our conditions, if off when parked is no problem though
What camera would you recommend ?

there's no camera that is perfect for everyone and all situations, best is create a list of all the features you want/need and see if you can short list some suitable models, once you've done that I'm sure you'll find some relevant feedback on the models you've selected if there's no clear choice

there's no camera that is perfect for everyone and all situations, best is create a list of all the features you want/need and see if you can short list some suitable models, once you've done that I'm sure you'll find some relevant feedback on the models you've selected if there's no clear choice

Thanks for the help !
So far i'm looking at the Thinkware F750 and street guardian SGZC12SGV2

I basically want something with good video recording ability/clarity, really good parking mode and reliability.
I saw with some cameras when they detect motion they take a while for them to actually start recording. I don't know if these cameras have that problem.

they're two quite different products, ours pre buffers so events include about 5 seconds prior to whatever triggered them, I'm not sure but the Thinkware may have this function also

I saw with some cameras when they detect motion they take a while for them to actually start recording. I don't know if these cameras have that problem

Don't confuse motion detection with parking mode. I believe almost all decent cameras will have motion detection, which as you say only starts to record after motion is detected. But true Parking Mode cameras do what @jokiin says, record a few seconds prior to when that motion was detected. Of course for this to work you need to have continuous power supplied to the camera, normally with the use of a hard wire kit and a battery discharge prevention device such as the Vico.

The Vico would be the best bet for battery protect and constant power as it has a temperature cut off.

Don't confuse motion detection with parking mode. I believe almost all decent cameras will have motion detection, which as you say only starts to record after motion is detected. But true Parking Mode cameras do what

So a good parking mode means it will continuously be on recording but won't save the file till the G sensor gets activated ?

I was just curious since some places I saw said whilst a camera can have motion detection. When the camera senses motion it can take a few seconds to start recording. I don't know if any of these cameras have this problem.

@jokiin
says, record a few seconds prior to when that motion was detected. Of course for this to work you need to have continuous power supplied to the camera, normally with the use of a hard wire kit and a battery discharge prevention device such as the Vico.

I was going to hard wire it for sure.

I just saw a video where one person said that with some cameras it can take a few seconds for the camera to start recording when it sense motion. I wanted to get something which wouldn't have this problem.

I park a lot in the street and wanted any front and rear damage to be picked up. It's a shame Street guardian doesn't have a dual channel camera.

I park a lot in the street and wanted any front and rear damage to be picked up. It's a shame Street guardian doesn't have a dual channel camera.

later this year, we haven't been able to do it any sooner as there was no viable chipset

we expect to be beta testing in around 8 weeks but can't really give an ETA for release until we start that process and see how it shapes up and how much work will be needed

we expect to be beta testing in around 8 weeks but can't really give an ETA for release until we start that process and see how it shapes up and how much work will be needed

Can I volunteer to be a beta test :p ?

We will be putting some cameras out with users as part of the testing, early units might not be so user friendly though, will have to see how it goes when we get to that stage

We will be putting some cameras out with users as part of the testing, early units might not be so user friendly though, will have to see how it goes when we get to that stage

I"m perfectly fine if they're not user friendly.

First round of beta units will go out to our existing testers, will see how those shape up before putting more out with other people

Back