High-quality, GPS and Wi-Fi enabled Dashcam (long-time recording)

RobotReboot

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello everybody,

I am new here, I found your community through the reddit sub dashcams.

I have a very specific question for you. I am collecting street footage for research purposes, I need a dashcam with these characteristics (regardless of the price)

- Good video quality (HD at least)
- GPS enabled
- Wi-Fi enabled
- Can record for extended amount of time (even days if possible)

Basically, my ideal system would record during the day street footage only(I don't care for the inside of the vehicle) and in the idle time upload through home wifi (is there a dashcam that can do that?) the data for the day, then erase it to have the memory ready for the next day.

Is there anything like this or similar on the market?

Thank you

DDPAI M6 plus or M4 features with GPS & Wifi,you can have a check then.

Whichever cam you're considering, research it well because they all have quirks or problems. Wifi on dashcams isn't intended as a way to download the entire contents of the SD card, but more as a convenient method to view a file of two. You will find it s-l-o-w and sometimes a cumbersome process (depending on the cam). Best to simply pull the card and copy the files directly from it ;)

On recording times, no cam can go more than a couple hours on it's internal battery; most have far less duration with pure dashcams giving only minutes. Using the car battery can give you a couple days time at most before you reach charge levels which will damage the car battery. With many of today's cars which use the smallest battery possible that time is even less. No dash or action cams are designed for such constant usage (which will void the warranty) but a couple are known to do it well anyway. Many are known to fail in 24/7 recording scenarios.

If it's possible, your needs would likely be better served with an IP cam (security cam) as these are designed for the purposes you describe and many are now made for continuous wifi operation :) Using the right tool for the job always gives better results :cool:

Phil

Their rep told me they're able to live stream on 3G!
And you believe a salesman? :eek:

The Janus site only mentions 'live tracking' and the Zendu sample showing 'live video' is anything but HD streaming, maybe 1 FPS best case.

And you believe a salesman? :eek:

The Janus site only mentions 'live tracking' and the Zendu sample showing 'live video' is anything but HD streaming, maybe 1 FPS best case.
GSM car dashcam features with live streaming,but it is difficult to stream HD video via SIM data plan,you can have a check with its supplier for more details!

I fully believe in "buyer beware"and in doing your own research when choosing what to spend your money on :D There have always been those who over-rate specs and performance just to increase sales and that will never end :eek: The technology available in these small relatively cheap cams is not going to get you top-level performance in any regard and at best may be just adequate for the intended purpose or a little more. A good reliable easy-to-use streaming wifi feature may be in the future but right now will by necessity come with other compromises which you may not like such as low resolution or bitrates, or even the use of cheap components in order to meet a price point which will sell :rolleyes: I also advocate waiting for a new product to be well-tested and well-proven before buying because many 'duds' have appeared with great promises made which were not well kept :(

I know nothing of the cams you mention which to me says something because I do keep up with dashcams and I am quite interested in them. If they did what they promise I would have probably heard something of them by now. Perhaps their being new is the cause of that or perhaps they are not well-known because they do not deliver on their promises. Research deeply and keep in mind the sources of your information and how that might relate to what is being said ;) That should be enough to guide you to making a good choice. Exert any less effort than this and you may be disappointed.

Phil

Back