High quality low light 1ch dashcam - upgrading from Mobius

it's evolution rather than revolution, the improvements are incremental

indeed, even as they do get better and better people just raise their expectations accordingly anyway

When I purchased my first dash cam a little over six years ago it was actually useless at night as was just about every other dash cam available in the marketplace at that time. Cameras back then could barely see anything after dark except a grainy glow just in front of a car in the headlights and maybe the tail lights of the cars in front of you with modest details of the surroundings.

Eventually we started seeing cameras with NT96650 DSPs and AR0330 sensors which was a breakthrough and a game changer at that time when it came to low light performance, especially considering the price point. Suddenly modest priced dash cams with excellent performance during the day and decent performance at night became a practical reality. So, there was a time not too long ago when the low light performance of the Mobius and other cameras using similar components offered unheard of low light capabilities that some folks now describe as "useless". Now we have Sony Exmor sensors and others along with improved image processing. Technology marches onward and it is exciting to see where things are going but it is good to maintain a perspective and consider how far things have come in a relatively short time period.

A bit of Thinkware F770 night footage HERE mainly non street light area. A bit more street lights HERE

Last edited:
I am from India and this is my first post. I am too looking for a dash-cam that is obscure, well-built, has parking mode and around 140-150 degree lens CPL filter compatible and not too heavy (like GoPro / SJCam). I am considering Vantrue N1 / Transcend Drivepro / Viofo A119.

Though I am not adding to the ongoing discussion, I felt the night videos of the above ones are not bad.

Any advice from the manufacturers / users here?

I am from India and this is my first post. I am too looking for a dash-cam that is obscure, well-built, has parking mode and around 140-150 degree lens CPL filter compatible and not too heavy (like GoPro / SJCam). I am considering Vantrue N1 / Transcend Drivepro / Viofo A119.

Though I am not adding to the ongoing discussion, I felt the night videos of the above ones are not bad.

Any advice from the manufacturers / users here?

None of the models you've mentioned have proper parking mode (pre-buffered). Which transcend model are you referring to?

With Transcend the advantage is local warranty.

The A119 is a good choice if you are looking for a discreet install. It has motion-detect (not true parking mode) like the others mentioned by you and a CPL will be available soon.

....looking for a dash-cam that is ....... around 140-150 degree lens....

I can't think of a dashcam that manages more than around 130 degrees horizontal angle in the real world.
Most cams use sneaky unrealistic measurements when they state the width of their field of view, although a few manufacturers tell the truth even if it makes their field of view seem less 'on paper'.
I think in one of the more extreme cases a manufacturer claims 170 degrees but what it actually recorded is about 130 degrees horizontal.

Look here for a comparison of 4 dashcams considered good at night:

enjoy,
Mtz

@harsh, I was considering Drivepro 200 or 220, but more inclined to the former, as 220 is more glittery. I don't know if CPL can be fitted on it. Vantrue N1 looks equally solidly built (metal and all), but A119 doesn't look so, though its wedge shape (same as Street G, A118, Rexing) makes it discrete . Moreover it is new and is from the family which (as I read somewhere) has reliability issues.

I would really appreciate more info from users on Vantrue N1.

One question is regarding placement - placing the camera lens slightly away from the wind-shield may make it more hidden (I think), but it may hinder the clear view? Any info on this?

I was considering Drivepro 200 or 220, but more inclined to the former, as 220 is more glittery. I don't know if CPL can be fitted on it. Vantrue N1 looks equally solidly built (metal and all), but A119 doesn't look so, though its wedge shape (same as Street G, A118, Rexing) makes it discrete . Moreover it is new and is from the family which (as I read somewhere) has reliability issues.
Welcome to DCT. As you're in India, I suggest that you avoid dashcams with internal batteries. Which rules out the DrivePro 220 & Vantrue.

enjoy,
Mtz
Since you cannot read licence plate from any of these videos it doesnt really matter what you have i think.
If you crash with somebody who has lights on then case is clear, if you crash with somebody with no lights at all that case is then clear too.
I wonder is it even possible to have human like vision at night if you assume that your car is worth more than your dashcam.

As I have mentioned before, these newer cams may have better quality but are using wide angle lenses. This provides more side view but makes number plates harder to read. Maybe manufacturers can option them with regular or wide angle lenses. This way we can buy one of each to have the best of both worlds. It could double sales if they have a good device (hint, hint).

Since you cannot read licence plate from any of these videos it doesnt really matter what you have i think.
If you crash with somebody who has lights on then case is clear, if you crash with somebody with no lights at all that case is then clear too. I wonder is it even possible to have human like vision at night if you assume that your car is worth more than your dashcam.
I think there's more value in recording the overall action than simply reading a licence plate. Details such as the colour of the cars; whether or not someone braked or used a turn signal; the position of any pedestrians, cyclists, parked cars or other obstructions on the road that forced one driver or another to change lane etc.

Even human vision will struggle to make out the licence plate of a passing car at night.

I think the best use of a dashcam is to show that you did no wrong and to show the actions of others so that they cannot conspire against you or lie their way out of the wrong they've done. Reading plates is good but the only real protection from hit-and-run and other cases where knowing the plates could help is for you to insure yourself against that. Honest people are not going to run away, and those who run away are not likely to be able to cover the damage they've done which is why they ran, so knowing their plates isn't going to help you.

Still a good idea to have the best cams you can, just understand they aren't a universal salvation from trouble.

Phil

I think there's more value in recording the overall action than simply reading a licence plate. Details such as the colour of the cars; whether or not someone braked or used a turn signal; the position of any pedestrians, cyclists, parked cars or other obstructions on the road that forced one driver or another to change lane etc....
I think the best use of a dashcam is to show that you did no wrong and to show the actions of others so that they cannot conspire against you or lie their way out of the wrong they've done....
Right and right.

@harsh, I was considering Drivepro 200 or 220, but more inclined to the former, as 220 is more glittery. I don't know if CPL can be fitted on it. Vantrue N1 looks equally solidly built (metal and all), but A119 doesn't look so, though its wedge shape (same as Street G, A118, Rexing) makes it discrete . Moreover it is new and is from the family which (as I read somewhere) has reliability issues.

One question is regarding placement - placing the camera lens slightly away from the wind-shield may make it more hidden (I think), but it may hinder the clear view? Any info on this?
Welcome to DCT @Ravi_M

You'll have to 'DIY' a CPL for the DrivePro yourself as one's not available from Transcend.

I don't own a A119 but if the build quality is same or any better than the A118C, I think that's as good as it can get in this price bracket.

Normally the wedge shape dash cams are mounted on the dotted area top-centre on the windshield but one can mount it anywhere as per his/her liking. It does not obstruct the view, hides nicely behind the IRVM.

Is there a consensus for the best night footage camera? Looks like we have A119 and Thinkware F770 are top recs?

Also, what manufacturers are active on this forum? Is it just Jokiin? I'd like to send some feedback :)

Thinkware and Viofo (A119) are both on these forums, but Viofo is by far more active. Other manufacturers are here too ;) AFAIK no other dashcam forum has so much of this level of direct contact and sypport available.

Phil

Also, what manufacturers are active on this forum? Is it just Jokiin? I'd like to send some feedback :)

I come on here quite a bit, i'm not actually working for Thinkware. I'm at the main UK Distributor for them however we have a good relationship with Thinkware and i try and help people the best i can!

Is there a consensus for the best night footage camera? Looks like we have A119 and Thinkware F770 are top recs?

I represent Akenori brand here. Best night time video is one of our main priorities and your feedback will be very usefull.

Back