Higher quality on rear?

Okdpardak

Reaction score
Country
United States
I'm curious why manufacturers generally place the higher quality sensors on the front camera. I would want to be able to capture more detail from the rear camera since that is where you're focusing the least while driving and most likely need to capture a hit and run license plate. The front camera would seem to be more of a who's-at-fault camera.

I use a Blackvue Dr750 in the front and a DR450 in the rear Both similar quality and easily fitted Never was a fan for 2ch cameras as the rear I originally had was only 720p as are most rears and couldnt read plates at all

The IQ gained from the different sensors are more or less the same ( both 1080p sensors ) but the least light sensitive one are often used in the back.

Out back you will see nothing, at least not at night and out in the country with no ambient light, when you then get into town and get some ambient light a good sensor will be good, but the headlights of cars behind you can be problematic not least at a distance, once the car get closer then plate capture are fine.
So if we just look at night time, then if a car come up fast and side swipe you and keep on going, then capturing its plate are not given.
In the daytime the chance of capturing the plate are much better, and a full bright day it are pretty much certain with a good camera.

in general and outside the best of sunny days, then most dashcams still struggle with small details, and the problem just escalate as the light get less and less.

I still see dashcams in low light as providers of the big picture only, and by then just document that i do nothing wrong with my driving.
Hit and run are bad, and while it are on the up here in Denmark it really dont bother me from a dashcam perspective.

Back