Hiring a surveillance babushka

Mtz

Reaction score
Country
Romania
Dash Cam
Viofo A229 Pro TeleQuad
I know the title is funny but we can learn even from thinks which looks funny.

[joke]A russian car owner rent a russian babushlka to guard his camera which is used as surveillance camera. Something like the control of the control.

Here is the video about a permanent dashcam mounted in the car.
Unfortunately the grandmother of Harry Potter aka the russian babushka made a witchcraft and disappeared at 2:43.[/joke]

I don't think the camera was hidden too much.
Judging from the image quality and font used for hour and date I think is not a cheap camera.
Maybe a Blackvue? The Blackvue is not full black like Itronics is, so maybe this is another reason why the thief couple saw the camera.

What we can learn from this lesson? Maybe:
- hide the camera as best you can even adding things to the car like a top solar film or painting in black the rearview mirror
- buy a smaller camera
- think to a camera which have external lens and in a hidden place you can put the DVR. Maybe just the lens is not worth to steal.
- try to avoid bling-bling cameras and the ones which are looking so expensive like FineVu does. Looking cheap is better for you.
- if you have a mount idea which is looking so solid like being a part of the car or of the entire mirror, use it
- you can think to some crazy ideas like wireless transmitting and recording during parking mode. Or to use some external SD card extension cable which will protect your recording even the camera is stolen
- a perimeter sensor alarm
- ... add your ideas here

Of course nothing is ideal from my list, but try the best you can.

enjoy,
Mtz

Last edited by a moderator:
It was definitely BlackVue DR400 model

As per video description, owner of this car arrived just in time
Thief was in process of stealing, owner seen thief's legs out of window and run for him, but thief prefer to drop dashcam and run away
Blackvue with it's silver casing, very attractive for thiefs
I don't know which way will hide it enough other than:
1) paint it with black... and wait for overheating at summer
2) change it to another model with black casing

By the way, most hidden model i've ever met is Vision Drive VDxxxx series (VD8000HDS e.t.c.)
And Janus V2 (older 2ch model), currently using in one of my cars

In a scene like the youtube video, because I have a wireless dash cam I can transfer the latest files before going after the thief. If he will escape I have the latest recordings.

1.) not the black color is the big heat problem of a dashcam but if exposing it in the direct sun. This is another reason to put the camera right under the roof. Put in a hot summer day one CD on the dashboard under the sun direct light and put another CD on the chair for example. You will see only one will melts.

Your two cameras are just huge.

The most hidden model ever for me is the 808 #18 or #16 even it is not a real dashcam.
Here are some pictures with Itronics also:

You can see the whole camera is the same size as only the Itronics mounting system. And this system is one of the smallest from all dashcams.
And on the right side is the Itronics with a black card, not the original SD Card which is the blue on the left. Even the cards I am usint are black. :lol:

enjoy,
Mtz

I'm surprised that the 808 doesn't have auto start and auto stop yet. The size is great.

The 808 was designed as spy camera and is including a battery which can record up to 1 hour. The keychain shape tell us that.
Then it was used very much by the american FPV flyiers because of its 17 grams weight. Then I discovered it as the smallest 720p camera.
To have autostart need a modified PCB and a new tiny circuit and until now the developer was thinking is too much effort in creating a new one just for some car owners.
But who knows what next weeks will bring to us? :roll:

enjoy,
Mtz

Yes, they are huge, but they are hidden well
You'll have to watch better to see this dashcam installed

Janus V2

Attachments

• glass.jpg
    glass.jpg
    168.4 KB · Views: 243
  • CIMG1727_s.jpg
    CIMG1727_s.jpg
    158.9 KB · Views: 243
  • v2_4.jpg
    v2_4.jpg
    74.9 KB · Views: 243
From left to right - VD3000 > X-Driven DRS1100 > Safebox 120 (most visible)

Attachments

• glass.jpg
    glass.jpg
    178.4 KB · Views: 242
  • CIMG1590_s.jpg
    CIMG1590_s.jpg
    381.9 KB · Views: 242
Least visible is hidden DVR under dashboard with small camera on windshield
I have one installed previously (in 2010) - Smarty BX3000

3x channel DVR
GPS
G-sensor