History of Dashcams [2022 Short Documentary]

DrekiTech

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Dash Cam
A129

In 1907 William Harbeck was one of the first people to put a camera and a vehicle together, hand cranking a video that is one of the earliest known clips of Vancouver, Canada. In 2022, the Dashcam has come a long way. Once set up, it becomes a silent witness to the changes around us, the way the world passes us by. Today let’s explore the dashcam’s roots, and how it became a ubiquitous part of driving history.

Thank you very much for this video. Amazed knowing that dash cams have such a long history morethan 100 years.

My first dashcam was actually a palm sized camcorder from Samsung, wedged in under the headrest on the passenger seat.
Sadly i dont seem to have uploaded or in other ways saved any of that footage, but i recall i got the camera in 2006 or 7 as i got it to film myself on my Yamaha quad bike, and i got that 2005 bike in 2006, the oldest dashcam video on my soon to be deleted YT channel are from December 30 - 2012, and i am pretty sure that is not from my first dashcam.

Judging by videos on youtube, dashcams seem to be gaining ground fast in the US and Canada, with frequent new uploads of compilations by some channels.

My first dashcam was actually a palm sized camcorder from Samsung, wedged in under the headrest on the passenger seat.
Sadly i dont seem to have uploaded or in other ways saved any of that footage, but i recall i got the camera in 2006 or 7 as i got it to film myself on my Yamaha quad bike, and i got that 2005 bike in 2006, the oldest dashcam video on my soon to be deleted YT channel are from December 30 - 2012, and i am pretty sure that is not from my first dashcam.

Judging by videos on youtube, dashcams seem to be gaining ground fast in the US and Canada, with frequent new uploads of compilations by some channels.
Back in the 00s, I had a flip phone camera (Moto RAZR) and I would sometimes tape that to my car to get some "dashcam" footage at 352x288 @ 15FPS resolution. Haven't been able to scrounge up any of that footage either, and the phone got recycled when I moved out of the family home. Sometimes I would borrow the family Powershot SD1000 for VGA video @ 30 FPS and to get timelapses. Those were the days.

Thank you very much for this video. Amazed knowing that dash cams have such a long history morethan 100 years.

It was pretty cool to see that some of the earliest 'dashcam' footage was taken here in Vancouver and Victoria! Even if it was a hand cranked camera on a street car. Crazy how much the city has changed.

My first dashcam was actually a palm sized camcorder..
Mine was a digital P&S camera with video capabilities. Wedged it up against the windshield on top of the dash. Surprisingly it never once became dislodged while using it that way.

It was pretty cool to see that some of the earliest 'dashcam' footage was taken here in Vancouver and Victoria! Even if it was a hand cranked camera on a street car. Crazy how much the city has changed.

Actually, William Harbeck, the American filmmaker who shot the "dash cam" video in Vancouver apparently was the same film maker who shot very similar footage from the famous Market Street Cable Car in San Francisco in 1905 two years prior, not long before the great earthquake of 1906. It is mistakenly or possibly falsely cited as being shot in 1906 "just days before the Great San Francisco earthquake" on YouTube but actually appears likely to have been filmed the previous year. FWIW, unlike the Vancouver "dash cam footage", it features actual automobiles but all this vintage footage is absolutely fascinating. Anyone who's seen my "Vintage 'dash cam' footage" thread knows my interest in such things.

I find this "History of Dashcams" video somewhat entertaining, but troubling. This sub-forum is supposed to be for individual DCT members to post personal dash cam videos they have recorded. Here we are presented with a slickly produced video that in no way shape or form is a legitimate "Recorded by You" personal dash cam video. Instead we are treated to a what amounts to a professionally produced promotional video for @BlackboxMyCar .

The conceit of the video is clever. Basically, it begins with a superficial, somewhat loose with the facts and incomplete “history” of dash cams which just happens to include BlackBoxMyCar as a part of the history. Half way through the video it essentially pivots into a full blown commercial for the company. It highlights their well stocked warehouse, all the brands they offer along with their logos, some of their other products offerings like auxiliary parking batteries and then goes on to hype and demonstrate the various reasons one should own a dash cam along with some sensational crash videos. It then discusses the benefits of higher resolutions and various newer camera features in general. The BlackBoxMyCar logo is repeatedly featured throughout.

IMHO, this video is essentially SPAM in sheep's clothing.

Last edited:
Actually, William Harbeck, the American filmmaker who shot the "dash cam" video in Vancouver apparently was the same film maker who shot very similar footage from the famous Market Street Cable Car in San Francisco in 1905 two years prior, not long before the great earthquake of 1906. It is mistakenly or possibly falsely cited as being shot in 1906 "just days before the Great San Francisco earthquake" on YouTube but actually appears likely to have been filmed the previous year. FWIW, unlike the Vancouver "dash cam footage", it features actual automobiles but all this vintage footage is absolutely fascinating. Anyone who's seen my "Vintage 'dash cam' footage" thread knows my interest in such things.

I find this "History of Dashcams" video somewhat entertaining, but troubling. This sub-forum is supposed to be for individual DCT members to post personal dash cam videos they have recorded. Here we are presented with a slickly produced video that in no way shape or form is a legitimate "Recorded by You" personal dash cam video. Instead we are treated to a what amounts to a professionally produced promotional video for @BlackboxMyCar .

The conceit of the video is clever. Basically, it begins with a superficial, somewhat loose with the facts and incomplete “history” of dash cams which just happens to include BlackBoxMyCar as a part of the history. Half way through the video it essentially pivots into a full blown commercial for the company. It highlights their well stocked warehouse, all the brands they offer along with their logos, some of their other products offerings like auxiliary parking batteries and then goes on to hype and demonstrate the various reasons one should own a dash cam along with some sensational crash videos. It then discusses the benefits of higher resolutions and various newer camera features in general. The BlackBoxMyCar logo is repeatedly featured throughout.

IMHO, this video is essentially SPAM in sheep's clothing.
It's too bad you couldn't have stayed positive with your comments like everyone else has in this thread and as you were in the first half of your post.

The short video was very informative and well done. And many companies were mentioned/displayed in the film... Tesla, Viofo, Blackvue, Thinkware, etc., not just BBMC.

I found the film to be very interesting and informative. And I give a big thank you to BlackBoxMyCar for putting it together in such a professional fashion. - And no, I do not have any connection to any dashcam business, although like many here, I'm always looking for the latest and greatest in dashcam innovations.

It's too bad you couldn't have stayed positive with your comments like everyone else has in this thread and as you were in the first half of your post.

The short video was very informative and well done. And many companies were mentioned/displayed in the film... Tesla, Viofo, Blackvue, Thinkware, etc., not just BBMC.

I found the film to be very interesting and informative. And I give a big thank you to BlackBoxMyCar for putting it together in such a professional fashion. - And no, I do not have any connection to any dashcam business, although like many here, I'm always looking for the latest and greatest in dashcam innovations.

I'm sorry, I just don't agree with you. While I did find some of the video to be interesting and entertaining, I felt it was indeed a commercial promotion that doesn't belong in this sub-forum. Additionally, all of the companies featured in the video with the exception of Tesla happen to be sold by this retailer, so they are merely promoting their product line. That was exactly my point as it has nothing to do with "the history of dash cams". As for Tesla, BBMC has a history of specializing in custom dash cam installations in Teslas which can be challenging and word is they do a great job of it, so the way it was presented also felt a bit promotional as well.

And please remember, this sub-forum is titled " Your Dash Cam Videos (recorded by you)". This video is certainly not that. I don't object to the video, I just feel that as a sub-forum intended for individuals to present their own personal dash cam videos, this was not the place to post it.

Finally, I have a strong feeling that if an unknown retailer were to suddenly show up here on DCT and post a nearly identical video in this sub-forum rather than a very well known and well respected retailer like @BlackboxMyCar , that the video would not be allowed as it would be considered a commercial brand promotion, i.e "spam". As a very long time member here who has watched the forum grow and evolve from just a couple of thousand members to what it is today, my feeling is that such videos belong in the vendor's sub-forum. Of course, we have no idea if BBMC is even aware that the video was presented here, so the fact that it was may well not be on them.

It's quite clear that we do not agree. - - In a time where censorship has become all too common, the last thing we need is someone squawking about a film that just might benefit the maker in some fashion.

Let's give priority to the consumer who on this forum is seeking out the kind of information that was provided in that short, informative film. - Why get picky about exactly where a post ought to be... at the end of the day, what difference does it make?

It's quite clear that we do not agree. - - In a time where censorship has become all too common, the last thing we need is someone squawking about a film that just might benefit the maker in some fashion.

Let's give priority to the consumer who on this forum is seeking out the kind of information that was provided in that short, informative film. - Why get picky about exactly where a post ought to be... at the end of the day, what difference does it make?

Wherever we go on the internet these days we have marketing thrown in our faces in many different forms. One reason I really enjoy threads like this one is that they are traditionally devoid of any form of marketing and instead are just average members sharing their personal videos. It is a respite from the barrage of marketing we are all subjected to and a breath of fresh air. Allowing commercial promotional videos into threads like this will just ruin it. If you believe the "History of Dash Cams" video is not a commercial promo for BlackBoxMyCar you are in denial about the motivation for why companies produce such material. And to repeat for a third time, this sub-forum is intended for personal dash cam videos posted by individuals not slick productions from corporate entities.

I am not in any way suggesting that this video should be "censored" or not be posted on the forum, I'm simply saying this particular thread is not the place on the forum for it to be posted. If you are "seeking out the kind of information" in this video, there are plenty of other places on this forum and elsewhere on the internet to find it.

Last edited:
They changed it to a different forum now so hopefully that should clear it up. My bad for posting it in the wrong place!

Back