Hit-and-Run - Caught on Dashcam

Then, when I find the frame I need I'll use Dashcam Viewer to zoom in a bit to see if it can improve things. Again, here with the built-in zoom capability Dashcam Viewer offers a unique and valuable feature not always seen in other viewers and media players.
I do like the look of this zoom capability, particularly for cameras with a video resolution higher than my 1920x1080 screen - assuming that they are supported.

I tend to do the frame by frame approach too, with a different player, but as @traveler said in his video, sometimes it's easier for our eyes to discern detail from a moving video than from any single frame.

I have never tried Dashcam Viewer so this was a good introduction to its capabilities for me.

As far as attempting to discern detail from a moving video is concerned, that's why I mentioned that if you hold down the left or right arrow on your keyboard you'll see a slowed down moving video. You can then use the arrow keys to scrub backwards and forwards through the footage and simply stop pressing the arrow key(s) when you finally find the frame(s) you want. The final step is to go frame by frame until you find the exact one you need.

Last edited:
Trust me if i get to realize my dream US tour, doing part of it in a convertible would be nice.

There's nothing like driving with the top down on the open roads... Got my 1st one when I was 18... Took decades to get this 2nd one. I just love it!

I think I would have paused the video playback at its sharpest frame showing the front license plate of the truck, then taken a screenshot on the computer. Then open up the screenshot in some image editing software and then do some enhancements to try to bring out more detail.

Wonderful! Thank you, @jokiin.

BTW, some good news:

My insurance company did a reverse search on the license plate and sure enough it came back as a "2002 Ford F150" truck, registered to an owner who lives about 6 miles from the crash site. This is consistent with what's seen in the video. They are trying to determine if he's got insurance. I still haven't heard anything from the CHP despite two inquiries to the cop who took the report.

Just got the repair estimate from the body shop: $10,000 to fix her up. :oops:

@kamkar1 This is my first convertible sports car-- and it's a blast to drive! Very visceral, analog, and connected experience that's hard to explain.

Are Miata's that expensive to fix? What else is damaged besides the bumper and tail light? I live in OC and got my left car side swiped and fixed for around $3500. I could give you 2 shops I know of that are great and reasonably priced. If you go to one of those franchise type repair shops, they'll charged ya double or more.

Back