Hit and Run--dash cam couldn't make out the license plate

gekisen

Reaction score
Country
United States
I'm looking to get a new dash cam, but the emphasis this time will be on night vision. I was using an Apeman C450 and even though it was self touted to have great night vision. It did not.

Any recommendations on a dash cam that has superior night visibility?

edit: also requires capacitors that can withstand extreme temperatures

You should never rely on a dashcam getting a plate capture, cuz sadly the technology are not there yet, and least at all at night or low light conditions.
This time of the year in Denmark on the highway doing 55 MPH and the on coming cars do the same, well as we have cloud cover most of the time there are pretty much no captures for me, only if the skies clear up and there is a little sun can i get a plate at those highway speeds ( A danish highway are 2 lanes one in each direction )

The best low light performing sensors in dashcams at the moment are the Sony IMX 291 sensors, but these also easy fall short even in the best and most optimized cameras.
And optimized are where gains can be made but by far most cameras are running pretty stock settings, and not much are made in regard to better it, though there are decent gains to be made.

If you focus too much on plate capture i can pretty much guarantee you any camera you buy will let you down.

If you browse backwards in this thread, you can see modders working on a SG camera, and getting pretty clear to see results, but to be honest i doubt that will make the camera a much better plate capture camera.
CUZ i am willing to bet the cameras are still using 1:30 second exposure times, and really that is far too slow a exposure to get a reasonable sharp at anything moving faster then a baby can crawl.

you can see some night footage from a car driving in a town and clearly it capture plates just fine, but if you pause and think about what you look at then it make sense.
The camera car and target car have pretty small differences in speed, and most often these are also recorded in a town with a high ambient level of light.

But thats also a far cry from any Danish town street at least, and even more so the speed at which cars often move in relation to each other.

And on a good day, well pretty much any camera can get a plate capture, at least 90% of times, but then drive into the shade of a building or high trees lining the road, and suddenly though mid summer and slear skies and sunshine, well not where you drive right now in the shade and at once a plate capture get next to impossible if the speeds are still the same.

In sunshine i get plates left and right.

Additionally you Americans have severe issues in this regard.

1: often only 1 plate on cars
2: smaller writing and graphics on the plate too

Making it much harder to deal with than big old EU plates like i deal with

Reactions: Mtz
I'm looking to get a new dash cam, but the emphasis this time will be on night vision. I was using an Apeman C450 and even though it was self touted to have great night vision. It did not.

Any recommendations on a dash cam that has superior night visibility?

edit: also requires capacitors that can withstand extreme temperatures

Care to post the video? There have been some we've been able to enhance and make out details. Also, there was a project someone was working on here geared towards your needs, too.

I also think the IMX291 is the best sensor for low-light right now, but the IMX335 can do well at night in a really good cam. There's more to it than just the sensor although that's what sets the absolute limit of what can be done. It also needs a good lens and firmware which is tuned well for night-time imaging, and these points are as important as the sensor being used ;)

Overall one of the best cams right now is the Viofo A119V3. Viofo seems to get the best images from the hardware used, and other cams with the same hardware don't do imaging nearly as well. Maybe not the absolute best at night but very good, and it will get at least 90%+ of the plates at night that any other cam can get. It will get a few plates the other cams won't get simply because part of plate capture at night is just plain luck :cautious: The worst are the reflective plates some states have- those are very tough to get because the images tend to wash out from over-brightness when they're close enough to read.

Driving conditions and your own headlights will also play a role here. Some of the best night-time images in my old van with halogen sealed-beam lights are from a cam with the old OV4689 sensor which doesn't seem to handle extreme headlight brightness like today's cars have well at all, but it works for me and my generally suburban- countryside driving. The old IMX323 isn't high-res but in the Viofo A119/S was considered to be great at night not so long ago, and is still fairly good then. The same sensor in other cams is only decent at night if that good. I only mention this old stuff to show that given the right conditions you might not need an IMX291 cam though it will be better.

Sad to say but IMHO the Apeman cams are the most highly over-rated dashcams on the market today, lacking in every quality which makes for a good dashcam. They're heavily marketed to people who generally don't know much about dashcams and their low pricing helps make the sales. But you don't get what you don't pay for, and if you want good images, especially at night, you're going to have to spend a bit more to get it.

Phil

I've already gone through it frame by frame in Premiere so I'm not sure if you'll be able to get anything from that.

-Phil, I have the Viofo you mentioned in my other vehicle but I have not tried reading license plates at night. On a somewhat related note, some of the drivers here have dark plastic covers on their license plates. I can barely make out their numbers in broad daylight. That has to illegal but it doesn't stop them.

Reactions: Mtz
There was a post recently where the advice, where possible, is to have your mic on and talk the number plate, again if possible. Even a partial plate may help identify the vehicle in a hit and run.

Reading the many night vision posts here there doesn't seem to be any that are consistently good at night.

Though I doubt very much can be done here, there have been some threads on image enhancement which might get you at least a partial plate number, and that coupled with the make and model of the car might narrow it down to a few suspects. From there a damaged or just-repaired car would seal the case.

https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threa...h-more-details-from-night-video-footage.8255/
https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threads/i-wont-to-know-this-license-plat-numbers.27856/#post-321314
https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threa...es-along-with-taking-video.36187/#post-486510

There are also professionals who do this kind of thing for a price- usually a hefty price, so probably not worth it. As many before you have also discovered, you cannot have too good when it comes to image quality and you cannot expect to capture plate numbers reliably with any dashcam, especially at night. Go for the best image quality you can afford in a dashcam because that's the only thing that really matters when things go bad for you.

Phil

OP, can you upload the original version? But as far as I checked on YT footage, you have no chance to recover the number from that recording. Not even with the coolest software on the market.

I've already gone through it frame by frame in Premiere so I'm not sure if you'll be able to get anything from that.

-Phil, I have the Viofo you mentioned in my other vehicle but I have not tried reading license plates at night. On a somewhat related note, some of the drivers here have dark plastic covers on their license plates. I can barely make out their numbers in broad daylight. That has to illegal but it doesn't stop them.

Guy definitely fled the scene! The apeman really crates a bad sunburst / crystalizing effect at night. Is this the raw future uploaded to youtube or is there a higher quality version? Claims im only able to download video off youtube at 1024p. Is there a 1080p copy?

The above is the clearest image I could find on a frame by frame. This is why you don't buy low end dash cameras.

If I were to guess the first 3 digits are NTS NFS NT5 or NF5 . Could take video to Police, ask then to run a partial plate and see if it anything comes back to a Chrysler 300

Thanks for the effort guys. I made sure that the video uploaded to Youtube suffered little compression. The driver floored it a second after the impact. I could not catch up to him to read the plates in my slow ass Corolla, and I was not going to follow him through the red light.

So the Viofo A119 v3 would fair much better in this scenario?

Thats hard to say, in low light things get quite marginal in regard to plate capture.

I think it would have got it back at the lights even if it didn't at the accident.

Thanks for the effort guys. I made sure that the video uploaded to Youtube suffered little compression. The driver floored it a second after the impact. I could not catch up to him to read the plates in my slow ass Corolla, and I was not going to follow him through the red light.

Yes. Viofo A119 or A129 use much better light sensors. The A129 offers brighter footage at night. The Apeman crystalized the hell out of the contrasting lighting conditions. I.E. Street Lights / Red lights / Car Tail Lights made anything requiring definition unreadable.

I think it would have got it back at the lights even if it didn't at the accident.

He was using an Apeman Dash Camera. Pretty sure this thing deploys inferior components and sensors based upon:

1. Video is only 1024p (Not 1080p...so some upscaling I guess)
2. Crystalizing lighted situations at night.

Last edited:

I suggest go to www.findbyplate.com and select utah. Although, if you don't want to select Utah, it will generate a plate number for states which have that plate. Bit easier than selecting Utah each time. Try to enter various combinations that look like the plate. See if any hit back to a Chrysler 300.

Good luck.

Last edited:
Next time, choose a camera that has minimum 1440 at 60fps. Anything below that won’t work for number plates. This is the best setting

Next time, choose a camera that has minimum 1440 at 60fps. Anything below that won’t work for number plates. This is the best setting

So which cam do you recommend that has that as a minimum?

So which cam do you recommend that has that as a minimum?

garmin 56/66

Nextbase latest 4K but record in 2k 60fps

these two are the affordable, non-Chinese options. Garmin is American and Nextbase is British. So I’d trust them with my data.

in the premium category, you have thinkware and blackvue. Both Korean, so trustworthy but very pricey. the entire blackvue bundle with 4K front and HD rear camera, a battery pack, and lte module for automatic cloud upload is around £900

In comparison, the latest 5k GoPro is around £300. You can get a 1-2 year old 4K GoPro for £200 or even less. So blackvue and thinkware prices cannot be justified

lastly, I am sorry, there is no way I am buying anything Chinese especially where I have to downlaod a Chinese app and store data on PLA servers. It’s not worth it.

Back