Hit and Run on a Brand New 2019 Mazda 3

I want to put a dashcam in my nieces car, but she just refuse it.
And it don't matter me saying how many creeps would lie their ass off to wipe something off on a cute little 25 YO blonde, or as i just filmed last Saturday run from the scene of a accident as the guy was probably high on drugs.

TBH i do think its her boyfriend that put his foot down, but i am not going to get in between the 2 young people.

I run a 2-channel cam 24/7 in the workvan, and previously did the same with a single cam. It's driven on average a half-hour twice daily so the battery gets a healthy (but not total) charge regularly. Once or twice a year I get bored and give it a full overnight at-home charge. My experience is that running a single cam this way hardly affected battery life, at worst 10% and probably less. The 2-channel cam however does have a noticeable effect which I estimate to be around 20%-25%. When I crunch the numbers of battery life, battery cost, and the shorter lifespan percentage I come up with about $0.25 per day, which IMHO is a mere pittance for the peace of mind I get from my cams. I do use a common size and rather large battery; most car batteries will be smaller and more affected.

As to selecting an auxiliary battery to be mounted underhood, the only two types I'd feel safe with are wet-cell lead-acid or AGM. Even with the evidence I've seen which shows that LiIon is probably safe at such temperatures, such regular overheating would greatly affect the cell/battery life and could possibly cause enough cell degradation to cause an unsafe condition, especially when it's charging. Given how catastrophic a Li cell/battery failure can be, I have a healthy respect for them in that regard and am very careful in my use of them. Owning no powerbanks I won't recommend any, but several have been mentioned as being good by well-respected members here on DCT and that info isn't hard to find.

In this case I'd recommend having a large powerbank charged and ready to go in the car, then swapping the USB power cables around manually for long-term parking which exceeds the time I feel safe using the car battery. One could forget to do the swapping, but in time a habit will develop making that unlikely. Same as with motion detection not always working, the more complex something is the more failure points you create, and best reliability usually comes with the fewest failure points in the system.

Phil

I would make a better argument. Say you spend $150-200 on a battery. The battery should last 5 years. Instead you get 4 out of it or a 20% reduction in life. What would you rather have, an accident caught on camera, or the extra $30-$50 in your pocket? Battery drain is a non issue, so long as you set a voltage cutoff (ideally 12.2 =50%) and don't come out to a car that won't start.

My rear end collision was caught on video. Insurance company tried to give me flack, and I whipped out video, and they shut up very quickly. I'll gladly eat a $50 loss to know my camera offers irrefutable coverage of an event. As in the grand scheme of things, that $50 I'm losing was 1/60th of the cost to repair my car.

I want to put a dashcam in my nieces car, but she just refuse it.
And it don't matter me saying how many creeps would lie their ass off to wipe something off on a cute little 25 YO blonde, or as i just filmed last Saturday run from the scene of a accident as the guy was probably high on drugs.

TBH i do think its her boyfriend that put his foot down, but i am not going to get in between the 2 young people.

I convinced my mother to let me put one in her car. She asked what the heck did she need this for? Was it a backup camera? After my accident, she understands the purpose. Other family member stubborn as a mule.....Course, when his car got hit, he wished he had one...But now is back to the "well let me think about it" category.

Some people are hopeless.

Despite the obvious benefits if they are the unlucky victim of an accident, some people don't want to have a camera recording their own bad driving habits 24/7, or simply don't want that kind of intrusion in their life, which I can understand.

I recently tested a taxi dashcam with an interior camera. In the event of an accident it could be useful to show what I was doing behind the wheel, but having that camera pointed at me all the time was a step too far for my liking.

That might well be the problem, the haters of my videos do seem to think it is a huge violation of other peoples rights, so the same persons i assume would not violate them self with a camera.

I don't mind the B2W aimed at me when i drive, but i must admit i don't personally feel the need to have that kind of proof against some claim against me, cuz as it would just be a claim from the other part i can fight that with a claim of my own.
But no doubt a lot of people will probably pull the "he was on the phone" card in this day and age as so many people actually do that, and most likely it was the other part that did that but try to get out of it, in which case my regular cameras can prove that,,, maybe not phone use but prove he / she changed lane and hit me, or just plain old rammed me.

And while i do see my cameras as proof of what i do with my car mainly, then that don't have to entail me personally behind the steering wheel.
But i totally get the taxi or uber drivers that want to be able to document what transpired in their car, but i do not pick up hitch hikers and its illegal to make money via Uber or similar services here as you need a taxi permit, and even then i don't think its legal.
Airbnb have also been forced to work with Danish tax authorities or get the hell out of Denmark,,,,, so i do think the number of airbnb opportunities in Denmark must have dropped some lately.
And the electric scooter rental companies that have been allowed to operate in 5 test towns, well they should not feel too safe, and neither should the users as Danish police just held a raid on those, and Danes are too stupid to know its a vehicle and so you can not operate it under the influence of legal or illegal drugs, so 26 people was busted for just that.

That might well be the problem, the haters of my videos do seem to think it is a huge violation of other peoples rights, so the same persons i assume would not violate them self with a camera.

I don't mind the B2W aimed at me when i drive, but i must admit i don't personally feel the need to have that kind of proof against some claim against me, cuz as it would just be a claim from the other part i can fight that with a claim of my own.
But no doubt a lot of people will probably pull the "he was on the phone" card in this day and age as so many people actually do that, and most likely it was the other part that did that but try to get out of it, in which case my regular cameras can prove that,,, maybe not phone use but prove he / she changed lane and hit me, or just plain old rammed me.

And while i do see my cameras as proof of what i do with my car mainly, then that don't have to entail me personally behind the steering wheel.
But i totally get the taxi or uber drivers that want to be able to document what transpired in their car, but i do not pick up hitch hikers and its illegal to make money via Uber or similar services here as you need a taxi permit, and even then i don't think its legal.
Airbnb have also been forced to work with Danish tax authorities or get the hell out of Denmark,,,,, so i do think the number of airbnb opportunities in Denmark must have dropped some lately.
And the electric scooter rental companies that have been allowed to operate in 5 test towns, well they should not feel too safe, and neither should the users as Danish police just held a raid on those, and Danes are too stupid to know its a vehicle and so you can not operate it under the influence of legal or illegal drugs, so 26 people was busted for just that.

Remember, the camera is there for your protection...No one says you're obligated to turn over video if you're at fault....Not saying it's ethical, but there's no way to prove it was recording.

As far as an interior cam, I'd probably not be fond of one unless I was an uber or taxi driver needing to capture passengers. Though they do serve use if someone clips your car on the side. As it gives you the coverage you lack with a front and rear camera. If someone sideswipes your car while parked, keyed it, etc, you couldn't see it happen. Interior cam would give that vantage point.

Last edited:
Indeed most people forget that, and the fact most people don't even see the dashcam, when i pointed out the 4 cameras on my windscreen ( thru open door window ) the 2 cops looking in dident even comment that there are no mirror in my car now.
Also it seem some places it seem like if you turn in evidence, well you bloody well better turn in your whole memory card, here the cops got 3 minute files and half of those 3 minutes was from before the crash.
They did ask if there was more, i told how dashcams work and no nothing of interest in this case, and that was it, and they downloaded the few files from my USB stick,,,,,, without scanning for viruses or anything first.
I was like WTF :eek: so its this easy to sneak a Trojan into one of the central systems in Denmark :unsure:

I'm not a fan of being on video or audio myself as I drive, but as I do understand the "double-edged-sword" aspect of dashcams it's not a huge concern to me. I'll take myself being on my own video as a slight cost versus the great benefit of whatever else my cams can do for me. If I do err in traffic it will be very small and my cams will clearly show me as the best and most law-abiding driver in whatever part of the video they want to look at. Hard to argue against that even if I'm not perfect.

If you don't want to be filmed for privacy reasons I can understand that. If you don't want the truth about your actions clearly shown on video then the problem is you and you need to be filmed at least until you've fixed the problem.

Phil

Wow, that sucks just curious did they ever find out who it was? I got a dash cam due to the fact I heard of many stories of people being in crashes and the trouble they went through to get everything fixed. I later got a camera for parking mode since my friend got hit in the lot and had to pay for the damage. Since then I can't drive without a camera lol. I always feel if I don't have a camera that's when something will happen.

Indeed most people forget that, and the fact most people don't even see the dashcam, when i pointed out the 4 cameras on my windscreen ( thru open door window ) the 2 cops looking in dident even comment that there are no mirror in my car now.
Also it seem some places it seem like if you turn in evidence, well you bloody well better turn in your whole memory card, here the cops got 3 minute files and half of those 3 minutes was from before the crash.
They did ask if there was more, i told how dashcams work and no nothing of interest in this case, and that was it, and they downloaded the few files from my USB stick,,,,,, without scanning for viruses or anything first.
I was like WTF :eek: so its this easy to sneak a Trojan into one of the central systems in Denmark :unsure:

So do you have Front + Rear viofo and then an Interior Cam to capture the sides of your vehicle? I have a ~18-20CM scratch on my door from either someone's door, a shopping cart, or who knows. I tried seeing if it was key marks and seems to thin, but again, I didn't see it happen. Either way, I have a nice long scratch and my front + rear cameras were completely useless in showing me what happened. Still only have front + rear. As that's where 99% happens.

But yes interior or a camera facing out the sides would be great, but 4 cameras on the windshield just takes up too much real state. I find it funny the cops didn't even scan the card for viruses. And I doubt 99% of cops would have a clue how your dash cam works. Could easily tell them it was broken, take out memory card and say it wasn't recording, etc. No way to prove what you say isn't true. So for those that worry about being at fault, don't share you had the incident recorded.

And if you are the victim in the crash, share what needs shared. Kamkar said it perfectly. No sense in giving them your entire journey. Just the footage preceding and proceeding the accident.

If everyone had a camera, insurance rates would go down.

1. Cut down on fraud.

2. If someone cuts you off and causes an accident, the presumption remains you didn't have enough following space. Making you at fault. A Dash Cam can show the person cut you off, leaving no room to stop, and/or requiring evasive action. So if the guy was rear ended for sliding into a tight space, you'd be guilty. With a dash camera, you'd be the innocent part.

3. No dispute over what took place.

List goes on and on. I believe Tesla has now allowed their onboard camera to be turned into a Dash Cam. More manufactures should follow.

Wow, that sucks just curious did they ever find out who it was? I got a dash cam due to the fact I heard of many stories of people being in crashes and the trouble they went through to get everything fixed. I later got a camera for parking mode since my friend got hit in the lot and had to pay for the damage. Since then I can't drive without a camera lol. I always feel if I don't have a camera that's when something will happen.

It's like an insurance policy. You hope to never need it, but when you do, you're glad it exists.

I have up to 5 cameras on my windscreen, 2 side cameras, and at least 1 rear camera, cabin camera are a new thing for me, but got the B2W to test on and it do quite fine.
But none of them viofo, i have never gotten the chance to play with those.

But i have just made changes so only have 3 cameras on the windscreen, and the 2 side cameras have been removes in favor of a dual system ( K2S ) and so only 1 rear camera now.

I have up to 5 cameras on my windscreen, 2 side cameras, and at least 1 rear camera, cabin camera are a new thing for me, but got the B2W to test on and it do quite fine.
But none of them viofo, i have never gotten the chance to play with those.

But i have just made changes so only have 3 cameras on the windscreen, and the 2 side cameras have been removes in favor of a dual system ( K2S ) and so only 1 rear camera now.

1. So are you using off brand "Go Pros" for your recording setup?

2. Are these cameras hardwired or running off a battery pack / 12v?

3. Viofo A129 Duo is a good product. You should install these for front + rear coverage. Park mode works stellar.

4. So how do you mount / run the 2 x K2s Cameras for Side Coverage? Are these hardwired?

Care to share picture of setup, you've peaked my interest.

No the bulk of my cameras are Street Guardian, my side cameras was mobius 1 B lens, and the Innovv C3 now replaced by the K2S test camera which are " hard wired" off the OBD port in my car, first camera i have tried to use parking mode on.
Otherwise my cameras are just coming on with the car as i have CCTV in my apartment aimed at my parked car in the back yard., i have 2 X 3 12 V ports in my glove box and 6 X +2 A USB ports and also around 6 other lesser AMP USB ports.

img_20190709_214021-jpg.47290

No the bulk of my cameras are Street Guardian, my side cameras was mobius 1 B lens, and the Innovv C3 now replaced by the K2S test camera which are " hard wired" off the OBD port in my car, first camera i have tried to use parking mode on.
Otherwise my cameras are just coming on with the car as i have CCTV in my apartment aimed at my parked car in the back yard., i have 2 X 3 12 V ports in my glove box and 6 X +2 A USB ports and also around 6 other lesser AMP USB ports.

img_20190709_214021-jpg.47290

So if I understand correctly, you have the main units mounted on the Front + Rear. And the "Back Cameras" for each united mounted on the passenger door?

Your setup is very intriguing. If you hardwired it, you'd have 360 degree 24/7 monitoring. Which is good if you park somewhere and some idiot hits your door. As I said, my car has a nice 15-20cm scratch on the door. Doesn't look jagged enough to be a key, but the pattern is odd. Someone's car door? Shopping car? Again, who knows.

With my current setup, I can't see if some idiot bangs his door against mine. With your setup, you're covered! Any reason you won't tap both cameras into fuse box?

No, they didn't. Quite frankly, the police didn't seem to care. It's a university town so I imagine there are a lot of these kinds of incidents because kids, alcohol, and cars are just not a good combination.

My only concern for side-mounted cameras is how well the wiring would hold up with repeated door opening and closings.

The clarity of the side camera is pretty good. Do you have a link to that model?

Probably would be pretty easy to get two A129 Duos and install one on front, the other on back, then run the little rear cameras to each side. Won't need multiple units mounted to the windshield, just one.

You don't have to mount the side cameras to the door glass, mount them to the inside trim, or even near the center dome light and aimed out the side glass.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Last edited:
No the K2S are a dual remote system with 2 small cameras on a wire ( smaller than current SG or viofo rear cameras ) so the K2S are L & R camera in my car now.
The K2 S have not yet hit the shelves, i expected it to be by now, but something must have hung up, my test sample are performing well, but as all dashcams need some adjustments too, but in general comming on / off and record it have not missed a single beat for some months now.
K2S have its own subforum for a while in here, this is my post in it so far.

K2S camera Vs SG9663DC rear camera.
img_20190126_141410-jpg.44306

I believe SG and viofo will have smaller cameras for their up coming dual remote systems too, really it is a good thing if you are going to mount on the side.
And as you can see the K2S camera units are substantial smaller than the "old" current rear cameras.

My SG9663DC do front and rear service, and i have just removed the SGGCX2 to make room for new stuff, and in the video i made from my back seat above i have not installed my mobius maxi that i use for zoom camera with a 12 mm lens on it.
The camera to the very right on my windscreen are the Guard Trak GT63EX as i recall its named, been there for a year now and work just fine.

Last edited:
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Z A129 / 129 Duo 2
RavenManiac A129 / 129 Duo 39
J A129 / 129 Duo 8
Back