Hit and Run on a Brand New 2019 Mazda 3

When i get to do parking guard ( with SG camera ) i will just do that on the front and rear cameras, and do low bitrate constant recording and on a timer of 1 hour as that will cover all my shopping, and if i need longer i can just change that as i need.
Otherwise there are CCTV where i park at home or at my friends place, so it is only while shopping or maybe if i go see a movie which i have not done since the late 80ties, that i will need parking guard for a longer period.

As you may have noticed the K2S cameras now have engine RPM in the footage when powered thru the OBD driver gismo that i think are a extra to the kit, i would prefer if it had indicator use and brake, but as hardcore dashcammers will know you cant just plug into the OBD port and expect to get all manners of info from it, Lukas tried that and really if you have everything supported then you are lucky, otherwise it is much down to make / model / year of your car what are supported in Luaks OBD enabled cameras.

No the K2S are a dual remote system with 2 small cameras on a wire ( smaller than current SG or viofo rear cameras ) so the K2S are L & R camera in my car now.
The K2 S have not yet hit the shelves, i expected it to be by now, but something must have hung up, my test sample are performing well, but as all dashcams need some adjustments too, but in general comming on / off and record it have not missed a single beat for some months now.
K2S have its own subforum for a while in here, this is my post in it so far.

K2S camera Vs SG9663DC rear camera.
img_20190126_141410-jpg.44306

I believe SG and viofo will have smaller cameras for their up coming dual remote systems too, really it is a good thing if you are going to mount on the side.
And as you can see the K2S camera units are substantial smaller than the "old" current rear cameras.

My SG9663DC do front and rear service, and i have just removed the SGGCX2 to make room for new stuff, and in the video i made from my back seat above i have not installed my mobius maxi that i use for zoom camera with a 12 mm lens on it.
The camera to the very right on my windscreen are the Guard Trak GT63EX as i recall its named, been there for a year now and work just fine.

So do these cameras operate in park mode if plugged in to the ODB? I wonder if mounting on one's dome lights would be more beneficial for a wider view than the passenger doors? Course you'd have wire management issues with a dome light setup. How do these cameras do with opening / closing the doors?

Just uploaded a demo of parking mode from when i was shopping, and if not other it demo that the grey car next to me have no clue as to how deep a parking bay are.
The footage are pinched in height to make room for the footage from the 2 cameras, and speed up in post.
I am using motion detect, which in a place like this mean the camera have been recording all the time.

Last edited:
Just uploaded a demo of parking mode from when i was shopping, and if not other it demo that the grey car next to me have no clue as to how deep a parking bay are.
The footage are pinched in height to make room for the footage from the 2 cameras.
I am using motion detect, which in a place like this mean the camera have been recording all the time.

Do the K2s cameras support park mode via the ODB? I know these cameras aren't out to the public, but what's the expected price range? Any ideas?

Yes the OBD driver gismo act like a Hard wire kit, it have low voltage cut off too, i am using 12.2 volts
Cameras are wired thru the door ( inside ) and the rubber connector where other wires also pass thru ( wires for locking doors and speakers ) it was pretty easy to feed the USB C plug/wire thru that rubber so each door only took me 20 minutes or so to do.
I think it is best to have the cameras up high on the doors too just like on the windscreen, some may also want another angle / aim on the cameras, i have been contemplating putting mine on a wedge so they are aimed slightly forward, but for now i will just leave them as is.

Even with the cameras like this you will probably not capture the door getting dinged other on audio, but the person doing it you should be able to get.
Really for door ding a camera aimed down the side would be the best, but i don't like those kind of cameras.

Yes it have a range of parking modes with motion detect and time lapse ( no low bitrate as of now )
Trigger for parking mode can be ACC or G sensor, ATM only the G sensor are working, not sure if ACC trigger will be made to work with the OBD driver gismo, or a dedicated hard wire kit are needed.
You can also choose regular recording, but the camera more or less do that with motion detect anyway, at least in a place with a lot of action, parked in the back yard it do not record all the time as there are little action down there during the day.
Price will have to be competitive with ordinary dual channel systems and the coming dual remote systems, MEG that make them and many of the mini cameras are not know for making stonking expensive systems.
But i have not heard any price mentioned, the contact have been on honeymoon holiday ASO lately so things have been a bit idle for a while in the K2S sub forum.

Do the K2s cameras support park mode via the ODB? I know these cameras aren't out to the public, but what's the expected price range? Any ideas?

As I understand things, you must use the OBD2 adapter to get the parking modes. My old bus is OBD1 but almost nobody drives cars as old as mine so that shouldn't be a problem for anyone else.

Phil

I tried to pick up my son's Mazda 3 from the body shop yesterday and there were a couple of things that really pissed me off.
  1. When I arrived the car wasn't clean. I mean come on. My insurance company just spent $2,000 with your company and you couldn't even wash the car prior to my arrival?
  2. I was told that they were going to try to do an in panel color blend, which is why I opted to repair the trunk versus replace it. When I arrived, I discovered that wasn't the case. They actually blended the paint into the rear quarter panels, which means they had to rough up perfectly good factory paint to do the blend. I have to admit that the color match looks pretty good, but they should have notified me. But, perhaps I'm being too picky.
  3. The repaired trunk lid had a few paint splatters. Plus, the trunk and part of the rear quarter panels have swirl marks on them. To me, both of those are rookie mistakes. I mean if you were repairing a brand new car with 1,600 miles on it, wouldn't you put your best guy on it?
I spoke with the owner and he said he could buff out the paint splatters and remove the swirl marks and have it ready for me by the end of the day. But, to be honest, this wasn't the customer experience I was hoping to have. Plus, I've lost confidence in this body shop and I'm a little worried about the stuff I can't see. However, I am trying to be reasonable.

Should I be concerned about any of this? How would you handle this situation?

if it's a metallic they would have trouble matching edge to edge which is why they blend into adjacent panels
Yeah, I get that. But I specifically told them I wanted to avoid disturbing new paint. Plus, if I had of known that ahead of time I would have preferred that they replace the trunk lid instead of fixing it. I just feel like I was misled.

if they replaced it they would likely have blended it even further
Ok, that's good to know. I really don't have much experience with auto bodywork, but I am trying to be reasonable. When I pick it up later today what kind of things should I be on the lookout for?

if the panels have been off make sure they're aligned correctly, gaps should be even all round, check the colour outside, if it's inside or undercover it can be harder to pick the difference, natural light is better, also look for matching finish, factory paintwork generally has a small amount of orange peel, look along the panels not straight at them to check the finish

if the panels have been off make sure they're aligned correctly, gaps should be even all round, check the colour outside, if it's inside or undercover it can be harder to pick the difference, natural light is better, also look for matching finish, factory paintwork generally has a small amount of orange peel, look along the panels not straight at them to check the finish
This is good information. Thanks, @jokiin. By the way, when it comes down to it I'm probably more upset with this whole situation than the autobody shop that repaired the damage. It's just really frustrating to have a brand new car damaged and worse when the damage was done intentionally. This is one instance in which I really wish I had that Cellink Neo hooked up. :(

I tried to pick up my son's Mazda 3 from the body shop yesterday and there were a couple of things that really pissed me off.
  1. When I arrived the car wasn't clean. I mean come on. My insurance company just spent $2,000 with your company and you couldn't even wash the car prior to my arrival?
  2. I was told that they were going to try to do an in panel color blend, which is why I opted to repair the trunk versus replace it. When I arrived, I discovered that wasn't the case. They actually blended the paint into the rear quarter panels, which means they had to rough up perfectly good factory paint to do the blend. I have to admit that the color match looks pretty good, but they should have notified me. But, perhaps I'm being too picky.
  3. The repaired trunk lid had a few paint splatters. Plus, the trunk and part of the rear quarter panels have swirl marks on them. To me, both of those are rookie mistakes. I mean if you were repairing a brand new car with 1,600 miles on it, wouldn't you put your best guy on it?
I spoke with the owner and he said he could buff out the paint splatters and remove the swirl marks and have it ready for me by the end of the day. But, to be honest, this wasn't the customer experience I was hoping to have. Plus, I've lost confidence in this body shop and I'm a little worried about the stuff I can't see. However, I am trying to be reasonable.

Should I be concerned about any of this? How would you handle this situation?

I thought Bumper was only damage? So did trunk need replaced too? Confused a bit here.

Anyway, there's a pre painted bumper available from the manufacturer, then you're in luck. Instead of screwing around, I would have this part replaced with a factory painted part. If Mazda doesn't offer pre painted parts, then it's up to the dealer to match the color and paint. Dealers can get pretty darn close on color match, but body shop paint is NEVER equal to factory. Factory paint is cooked on there at higher temperatures where a repaint can peel down the road.

I believe the paint swirls can be buffed out, but what do you mean by defects? Are there bubbles in the trunk? Dirt under paint?

Sounds like they did a good job blending the panels. They're trying to "hide" the fact that the best color matches in the world aren't perfect. Even a pre painted trunk from manufacturer might be a shade too light or dark. But generally, the manufacturer pre painted parts are the best available.

Ultimately, the thing with accidents is the car is never 100% the same after. Back to the top question, what all was damaged on your car? Was there a police report filed?

If the Trunk + Bumper did need replaced, repainted, and other aspects of car needed repairs, you should try to fight for something called diminished value. If a police report was generated, there's a high probability the accident now appears on autocheck / carfax. So the car's value just dropped. Unfortunately, insurance companies will resist the hell out of you on a diminished value claim. Because they will argue the car was repaired and should now be the "same".

In truth, if you go to sell your car alongside a car never in an accident, we all know that argument is crap. Since a buyer looking at two identical cars WILL NOT pay the same for one having been involved in an accident.

Unfortunately, it was hit a second time: https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threads/hit-and-run-on-a-brand-new-2019-mazda-3.39122/post-469086

I believe the paint swirls can be buffed out, but what do you mean by defects? Are there bubbles in the trunk? Dirt under paint?
Not dirt per se. More like paint splatters.

Sounds like they did a good job blending the panels. They're trying to "hide" the fact that the best color matches in the world aren't perfect. Even a pre painted trunk from manufacturer might be a shade too light or dark. But generally, the manufacturer pre painted parts are the best available.
I agree. I just don't like surprises. :)

Ultimately, the thing with accidents is the car is never 100% the same after. Back to the top question, what all was damaged on your car? Was there a police report filed?
The bumper was damaged first, then the trunk 10 days later. Yes, a police report was filed in both cases. Unfortunately, both instances were hit and runs. I'm not sure I can get my own insurance company to pay for diminished value, but I certainly would have asked for this had I caught the person(s) who did this.

Unfortunately, it was hit a second time: https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threads/hit-and-run-on-a-brand-new-2019-mazda-3.39122/post-469086

Not dirt per se. More like paint splatters.

I agree. I just don't like surprises. :)

New car will never be perfect again. My car was hit, as I mentioned in an earlier thread. It's irritating to say the least.

The bumper was damaged first, then the trunk 10 days later. Yes, a police report was filed in both cases. Unfortunately, both instances were hit and runs. I'm not sure I can get my own insurance company to pay for diminished value, but I certainly would have asked for this had I caught the person(s) who did this.

Does Mazda offer pre painted Bumpers? Trunk? I know Volvo offers manufacturer prepainted bumpers, why I ask.

Please read about Diminished Value claims in the state of Virginia.. If your claim has NOT been settled fully with insurance company, you are entitled to pursue it against your own company:

https://www.allenandallen.com/diminution-of-value/

No, Mazda doesn't offer pre-painted bumpers. Besides, the car has already been painted. I can't with good conscious go after my own insurance company that's helping me out of this mess, so I'm going to have to take the hit on the diminished value and hope the Cell Link Neo/A129 catches the next a-hole who does something like this. :(

No, Mazda doesn't offer pre-painted bumpers. Besides, the car has already been painted. I can't with good conscious go after my own insurance company that's helping me out of this mess, so I'm going to have to take the hit on the diminished value and hope the Cell Link Neo/A129 catches the next a-hole who does something like this. :(

Understood. Just wanted to make sure you were aware of the option. Bummer on no pre painted bumpers. The old adage nothing stays new forever happened a bit more prematurely than you'd like. However, as time goes on, it'll become less and less of a concern.

But it would have been nice to enjoy the car in all its pristine beauty for a lot longer than you did before something happened!

I can't with good conscious go after my own insurance company that's helping me out of this mess

I can understand this completely, but it shouldn't excuse the body shop from doing anything less than the best possible work. In my own business of home repairs, I've had to advocate for the homeowners a few times when the insurance company wanted to do a partial replacement of pre-finished siding, shutters, and what-not where it would leave a clearly visible difference in appearance. They generally accede to me doing things in the least noticeable way by replacing the whole area or all parts since it doesn't increase costs much. The whole idea of insurance is to cover you as much as is reasonably possible, and less-than-best work is never a reasonable option IMHO.

But do as you will with me hoping you don't have to go through this again ;)

Phil

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Z A129 / 129 Duo 2
RavenManiac A129 / 129 Duo 39
J A129 / 129 Duo 8
Back