Hit & Run: C̵a̵n̵'̵t̵ ̵ Can make out license plate!

thehank

Reaction score
Country
United States
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1C3W4BzgH7-c6GO2uIERiAFQf5-eXQ880/view?usp=sharing - let me know if you cant see it!

Hoping for some assistance in making out this license plate. My guess is GPC-174 or 6PC-M74. Clearly it's a red Avalanche. If anyone has better software or wants to assist, I appreciate it.

Should I submit to insurance with this quality? Or wait to find the car and plate and submit when confirmed?

Last edited:

Sir Loin

Reaction score
Country
United States
Upload it to YouTube and put a link you the video here

SawMaster

Reaction score
Country
United States
Dash Cam
G1W-S, G1W-HC, G1W clone, B1W, K2S, B2W, (ex N2Pro & Mobius)
Upload the raw vid file to google drive, mega.nz, dropbox, or another file-sharing format. Then post a link to it in your post. Your file is probably too large to be embedded in a post directly. Absolutely get with your insurance company and the police right away- any delays there might taint your case. As they process the claim we can try to help you here and if we do get the plate, you can pass that information on afterward.

(edited to add: YouTube compresses vids, so while you can do that it is best to share the raw vids so that their quality will not be affected by compression)

Phil

Nigel

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dash Cam
Gitup F1, A129, B1W, B2W
Should I submit to insurance with this quality? Or wait to find the car and plate and submit when confirmed?
The insurance company might have some clever software for reading it from multiple frames combined, not sure anyone here is going to be successful reading it manually!

DT MI

Reaction score
Country
United States
Dash Cam
More than my wife thinks I need.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1C3W4BzgH7-c6GO2uIERiAFQf5-eXQ880/view?usp=sharing - let me know if you cant see it!

Hoping for some assistance in making out this license plate. My guess is GPC-174 or 6PC-M74. Clearly it's a red Avalanche. If anyone has better software or wants to assist, I appreciate it.

By all means submit it to the insurance company along with your claim for damages. If you have uninsured/under-insured motorists coverage the claim should be honored (subject to deductibles), and may be covered collision/comprehensive depending on how the policy is written. Unlike insurance in some European countries it's not necessary for you to identify the driver, only that you didn't cause the damage yourself and the video clearly shows that. You may have to file a police report if you haven't already because it is a criminal hit-and-run. If you don't have coverage through your insurance it becomes a civil matter between you and the driver/owner of the truck, but a police report should still be filed in that case as well.

Dashmellow

Reaction score
Country
United States
Dash Cam
umpteen
Several years back I heard the report of two loud gunshots during the night. It turned out to be a guy (and his Dad) illegally jacking deer after dark out on my rural property. I ran outside and was able to get a description of the vehicle (large white SUV) but no make or model. I also got a partial plate number as he drove past my house fleeing the scene. With that information alone the local game warden (who is technically a state police officer) was able to nail the guy. It took him a while but he apparently had some data base resources to work with.

It's always worth reporting any information you are able to obtain to the authorities because they may just be able to run with it. Of course, this will always depend on the tenacity and dedication of the particular LEO you end up dealing with.

Last edited:

egonvdv

Reaction score
Country
France
Dash Cam
Thinkware F7502CH + F7702CH (rear cams used as side cams)
tried several things (blow up, safe as picture etc...) but it's indeed difficult

i'm going with a mix of your 2 guesses : GPCM174

(though maybe that"s too many characters // i'm a bit confused by that space/dot in the middle, which the parked white car has as well)

EDIT:
i'm going with GPC174
what looks like an M, seems to be a black square in the middle, like the white car has ?

OP
T

thehank

Reaction score
Country
United States
tried several things (blow up, safe as picture etc...) but it's indeed difficult
i'm going with a mix of your 2 guesses : GPCM174
(though maybe that"s too many characters // i'm a bit confused by that space/dot in the middle, which the parked white car has as well)
EDIT:
i'm going with GPC174
what looks like an M, seems to be a black square in the middle, like the white car has ?
Thanks for the support!

That square in the middle is our registration sticker. I'm being told that all trucks in our state start with a number. In some frames, it looks to be 6, then the next it could be an 8. (But also saw a red chevy avalanche on the way home that didn't start with a number.)

Funny enough, you can look up license plates and it will tell you what vehicle it's registered to: https://findbyplate.com/US/MO/GPCM74/ - I ran it through an excel sheet and tried every combination, to no avail. Also, I posted about 3-4 frames/photos into this tool - https://platerecognizer.com/ - and it came up with possible license text combinations..... which I searched in the findbyplate as well. To no avail.

The truck has a trailer hitch, tinted rear windows (factory), and a sticker on the lower rear glass.

I filed a police report and the LEO stated he'd be on the search for him and running many queries from his side. Fingers crossed. Just glad the entire side of my Jeep wasn't sideswiped.

HonestReview

Reaction score
Country
United States
I disagree. I believe it's GPC 174 or GPC I74. Frame by Frame

1a.jpg

Last edited:
OP
T

thehank

Reaction score
Country
United States
I disagree. I believe it's GPCK174 or GPCKI74. Frame by Frame
It sucks that I paid this much for dual dashcams and neither could pick it up while it was fairly light out. I may be selling and swap for a 60fps cam. This will officially be the 3 time (not same car nor location) my car has been hit while parked.

Also, there's a sticker in the middle of the license plate and should start with a number because it's a truck.

HonestReview

Reaction score
Country
United States
It sucks that I paid this much for dual dashcams and neither could pick it up while it was fairly light out. I may be selling and swap for a 60fps cam. This will officially be the 3 time (not same car nor location) my car has been hit while parked.

Also, there's a sticker in the middle of the license plate and should start with a number because it's a truck.
I've got a couple possibilities for you....Not sure the Vehicle Model... It's a Chevy... So anyway I'll paste a few Possibilities. First Number is a 6 FYI. Not sure if these links correspond to the proper color of actual vehicle.

1. https://findbyplate.com/US/MO/6PCL74/ - 2005 CHEVROLET Silverado
2. https://findbyplate.com/US/MO/6PCL78/ 2011 CHEVROLET Silverado

Last edited:

kamkar1

Reaction score
Country
Denmark
Dash Cam
10 years, many dashcams
You have found out that plate capture,,,,, well its just icing on the cake, and you are often in circumstances where that's simply not possible. but changing to any other camera will probably just do the same for you.
But it really do suck when you need it but the camera have not gotten it, but that's sadly a limitation of all hardware in use at the moment.
Only on a sunny day do you stand a chance, mind you a sunny day where you are not driving in between trees lining the road or the shade of a tall building.
It don't have to be anything near after sunset dark before dashcams start to struggle with little details.

OP
T

thehank

Reaction score
Country
United States
I've got a couple possibilities for you....Not sure the Vehicle Model... It's a Chevy... So anyway I'll paste a few Possibilities. First Number is a 6 FYI. Not sure if these links correspond to the proper color of actual vehicle.

1. https://findbyplate.com/US/MO/6PCL74/ - 2005 CHEVROLET Silverado
2. https://findbyplate.com/US/MO/6PCL78/ 2011 CHEVROLET Silverado
The truck in the video is definitely an Avalanche. I came across some Silverados and was wondering if it's registered the same way as the chassis. But I also ran into another Avalanche on there. Who knows. Maybe it's a stolen plate too!

HonestReview

Reaction score
Country
United States
You have found out that plate capture,,,,, well its just icing on the cake, and you are often in circumstances where that's simply not possible. but changing to any other camera will probably just do the same for you.
But it really do suck when you need it but the camera have not gotten it, but that's sadly a limitation of all hardware in use at the moment.
Only on a sunny day do you stand a chance, mind you a sunny day where you are not driving in between trees lining the road or the shade of a tall building.
It don't have to be anything near after sunset dark before dashcams start to struggle with little details.
Sadly, I've tried frame by frame on his image and there seems to be no way to make it more clear than above. Best thing to do is run it through the above plate generator until some possible matches come up

HonestReview

Reaction score
Country
United States
The truck in the video is definitely an Avalanche. I came across some Silverados and was wondering if it's registered the same way as the chassis. But I also ran into another Avalanche on there. Who knows. Maybe it's a stolen plate too!
You're right. It is an avalanche. Hmmm... Ya Ive tried a million ways to make the image more visible. I can't seem to read the plate any better. Maybe stolen plate? Or you'll just have to keep playing with the website and see if you can find a match.

HonestReview

Reaction score
Country
United States
FYI: I'd suggest 6PC (Beginning Numbers) and Red Chevy Avalanche to Police. They probably can do partial plates and make / model look up. See if any hits.

image2.jpg

Last edited:

kamkar1

Reaction score
Country
Denmark
Dash Cam
10 years, many dashcams
Had it seen a nice sunny winter day, that guy would have been so busted, but as the pic tell it is cloudy and grey just like most Danish days this time of the year.
As i recall the US police do have the option to do a search on a partial plate + vehicle make / model and color.
And as OP pay taxes and so police wages they should work for him and crank up their computers.

Dashmellow

Reaction score
Country
United States
Dash Cam
umpteen
@thehank, one option, if you feel like taking the time and spending the effort would be to use forensic imaging software. There are many applications on the market and some of them are free.

One free program that has been discussed here on DCT from time to time is called VideoCleaner. It has many sophisticated features and capabilities for a free app.

videocleaner.jpg

Many of these enhancement tools might be useful for extracting the plate number beyond the one I've highlighted.
suggestions.jpg

Another approach is called image stacking. People use image stacking enhancement for a variety of reasons. It is very popular for astrophotography for example. It is also useful for extracting license plate numbers from video images.

AutoStakkert!2 may be worth checking out.

autostack.jpg

Last edited:

HonestReview

Reaction score
Country
United States
Had it seen a nice sunny winter day, that guy would have been so busted, but as the pic tell it is cloudy and grey just like most Danish days this time of the year.
As i recall the US police do have the option to do a search on a partial plate + vehicle make / model and color.
And as OP pay taxes and so police wages they should work for him and crank up their computers.
Like any city, really depends on where you live and how motivated the police officer is to solve the crime. I hate to be a pessimist, but my gut tells me he'll be stuck going through his own insurance company if OP has comprehensive. OP will provide video to insurance company, and if they can locate the guy, they'll go after him/her. If not, OP has a claim on his insurance.

I doubt the cops will exert a lot of effort, since we're talking property damage and no injuries. Likely, this ends up being an insurance issue.

HonestReview

Reaction score
Country
United States