Hit & Run: C̵a̵n̵'̵t̵ ̵ Can make out license plate!

OP
T

thehank

Reaction score
Country
United States
Here are possible matches for a Chevy Avalanche: Not sure if photos are actual images of vehicles (black in photos) or stock photos.

Oh wow, thank you for the replies and everything. How on earth did you decipher this? What picture did you focus on the most, and what imaging software assisted? Did you write a script to try a bunch of combinations?

When I do the cars that I know, it's more of stock photos.

HonestReview

Reaction score
Country
Sweden
Oh wow, thank you for the replies and everything. How on earth did you decipher this? What picture did you focus on the most, and what imaging software assisted? Did you write a script to try a bunch of combinations?

When I do the cars that I know, it's more of stock photos.

I just did it by hand. There'd be no way to use a script on these sites. I just looked at the photos I tried to enhance and guessed. GPC can't be right. Doesn't exist in a truck so it has to be a 6PC or that's my best guess. And the last digits look like 74 - Not 100% but best guess. But I played around entering various combinations. This site tells you if there's even a plate or it rejects the combination.

So I did 6PC (0-9)74 and 6PC(A-Z)74 by hand...Took a bit. You can try any combination here: https://www.autocheck.com/vehiclehistory/search-by-license-plate

It will tell you if a plate even exists...so it's pretty helpful when you enter them.

I would suggest you do this and see what you come up with. Might take an hour or two.

Assume first number is a 6xCx74 - 2nd and 4th digit are guesses in my opinion. So try 6ac074, 6Bc074, all the way to Z.

Then move on to 6(A)C(1)74 6(B)c(1)74 (until z on 2nd digit). Then try 6(0)C(1)74 changing second digit until number 9.

etc etc.. It might take a while but I guess it depends on how determined you want to catch the guy.

Last edited:

Dashmellow

Reaction score
Country
United States
Dash Cam
Umpteen
Basic license plate extraction using Video Cleaner. (and some other capabilities)

plates.jpg

Video Cleaner is open source software that has been around for some time but apparently it received a major update with new features in October, 2019 - v 5.8.

Last edited:
OP
T

thehank

Reaction score
Country
United States
Basic license plate extraction using Video Cleaner. (and some other capabilities)

View attachment 50417

Video Cleaner is open source software that has been around for some time but apparently it received a major update with new features in October, 2019 - v 5.8.

I installed it but it's throwing a bunch of errors. Do you have it installed on your side / can I send you a few still photos?

Dashmellow

Reaction score
Country
United States
Dash Cam
Umpteen
I installed it but it's throwing a bunch of errors. Do you have it installed on your side / can I send you a few still photos?

I don't currently have it installed although I've experimented and dabbled with it with some success. I primarily use Mac computers (with two monitors) and often run Windows under a VM on the second screen when I need capabilities I don't have on the Mac side.

All in all, I found that running this video intensive software on a virtual machine in the background while simultaneously running the Mac OS was problematic. The program ran fine but there could be some stuttering and delays. I believe the bottleneck is with my graphics card simultaneously running two OSs on two monitors. One of these days when I upgrade my machine to one with more power and a faster graphics card I will reinstall Video Cleaner. I haven't needed it lately.

I never experienced errors so I don't know what to advise. You might benefit from checking out the free support link on the Video Cleaner web site as well as checking out the tutorials on YouTube. Also, if you haven't already done so you may benefit from reading the Video Cleaner manual.

http://videocleaner.com/support.html

http://www.linkedin.com/groups?gid=246163 (support)

https://www.youtube.com/user/ForensicProtection/videos

Last edited:
OP
T

thehank

Reaction score
Country
United States
Does anyone have access to run this VIN on CarFax or paid site? I ran the plate on a few sites of course and this pulled back a specific VIN. But curious if it pulls back as red.

3GNEC12J37G321455

How long would you all wait before following up to the police report from Monday?

joe384

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dash Cam
2 x DR590W-2CH, Cellink B
Some manufacturers have the color listed for a particular VIN (I know ford does)

No colour but it's a 2007 Avalanche according to chevy.

HonestReview

Reaction score
Country
Sweden
Some manufacturers have the color listed for a particular VIN (I know ford does)

No colour but it's a 2007 Avalanche according to chevy.

Playing with plates, I came across this one I posted before...but I assume that this isn't correct as picture looks like Black. Unless it's not the actual vehicle.

HonestReview

Reaction score
Country
Sweden

I tried playing with the VideoCleaner app. I'm no expert and can't seem to get a clearer image. Maybe someone else has better technical skills in this area. I sure don't!

HonestReview

Reaction score
Country
Sweden
I think the picture is a stock one...Look at the picture URL:

I'm betting all 2007 avalanches will show up with that photo.

Well I'd hope that's the proper plate. I played with combinations similar to one in my screenshot. Anyway, I can't seem to make image any clearer than I originally did. Guess the buck is passed onto the next person to step up and see if they can do better.

My honest guess is the plate is 6PCU74

Last edited:

Nigel

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dash Cam
Gitup F1, A129, B1W, B2W
I tried playing with the VideoCleaner app. I'm no expert and can't seem to get a clearer image. Maybe someone else has better technical skills in this area. I sure don't!
I don't think it does anything useful for motion blur, and I don't think the required data is in the image anyway so it could only be guessing even if it did produce something. Only useful thing I can get it to do is average a number of frames, which can create a very nice image out of a noisy image, but only if you are parked and the thing you are interested in is also parked.

Need something that can do magic, like the professional insurers etc use:

Thinkware seem particularly good at compressing useful information out of video!

OP
T

thehank

Reaction score
Country
United States
Update: had a buddy run the VIN on the BMW forums. Confirmed the Avalanche is Red AND had it serviced last in my town, walking distance from my house. I don't know what else I can do. I mean, narrowing down to name and address. And sending him the quote to have it fixed. But that seems like a much larger stretch.

HonestReview

Reaction score
Country
Sweden
Update: had a buddy run the VIN on the BMW forums. Confirmed the Avalanche is Red AND had it serviced last in my town, walking distance from my house. I don't know what else I can do. I mean, narrowing down to name and address. And sending him the quote to have it fixed. But that seems like a much larger stretch.

If you know it was serviced locally, do you know what shop serviced the vehicle? The shop would have Vin and/or Plate number!

DO you think plate I gave you 6PCU74 is the proper vehicle?

Nigel

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dash Cam
Gitup F1, A129, B1W, B2W
Since you know where it lives, go around and have a look at it, see if there is anything unusual about that particular vehicle that ties it to your video image, and if there is any mirror damage, if there is then let your friendly police officer know that you have seen it again and now have the correct plate number. Don't need to say why you happened to see it again! If the police get a confession out of the owner then you can get somewhere, otherwise you have no evidence that it was him, only a probability, and that isn't enough.

OP
T

thehank

Reaction score
Country
United States
If you know it was serviced locally, do you know what shop serviced the vehicle? The shop would have Vin and/or Plate number!

DO you think plate I gave you 6PCU74 is the proper vehicle?

The thing is business won't release that info. I'm just googling everything. Yes it's too much of a coincidence. And those trucks are super rare anymore. That thing has almost 200k miles on it. Same color. Same hometown. Service right up the street. That was the number I gave to the police.

I'm just impatient that's all. And would rather not show accident on my car either in case I decide to resell it.

HonestReview

Reaction score
Country
Sweden
I don't think it does anything useful for motion blur, and I don't think the required data is in the image anyway so it could only be guessing even if it did produce something. Only useful thing I can get it to do is average a number of frames, which can create a very nice image out of a noisy image, but only if you are parked and the thing you are interested in is also parked.

Need something that can do magic, like the professional insurers etc use:

Thinkware seem particularly good at compressing useful information out of video!

Ya, I don't think the image has the data needed. There's just way to much motion blur. What do you mean by professional insurers? Is that a program?

HonestReview

Reaction score
Country
Sweden
The thing is business won't release that info. I'm just googling everything. Yes it's too much of a coincidence. And those trucks are super rare anymore. That thing has almost 200k miles on it. Same color. Same hometown. Service right up the street. That was the number I gave to the police.

I'm just impatient that's all. And would rather not show accident on my car either in case I decide to resell it.

Couple things about an Accident:

1. If you filed a police report, then the chances of the accident being reported are already very high. That's how CarFax / Autocheck draw a lot of their information.

2. Secondary sources are body shops that report to CarFax / Autocheck.

3. When your buddy looked up the car, how did he look it up? Using Plate I gave you? If you tell police information about Plate and Service History, they should be able to go to the shop and get the complete information. And then go out and see if that vehicle has any damage to it.

Honestly, if you've filed a police report / accident report, I'd guess it's been reported. You have the video showing what happened. Rimming off a mirror is cosmetic and shouldn't impact the car's value what so ever. Below are some zoomed images.

Plate.jpg Plate.jpg

FYI: This type of thing angers me... I have an 8 inch / 20cm deep clear coat scratch on my car door where someone got mine! No camera with parking mode at the time. Though not sure it would have helped. Reason I should really buy a "Taxi Cam" to catch the side views.

Attachments

• plate1.jpg
    plate1.jpg
    10.8 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
OP
T

thehank

Reaction score
Country
United States
FYI: This type of thing angers me... I have an 8 inch / 20cm deep clear coat scratch on my car door where someone got mine! No camera with parking mode at the time. Though not sure it would have helped. Reason I should really buy a "Taxi Cam" to catch the side views.

The thing is, you'd definitely have the scratching sound on the recording. Would take longer to decipher, but the odds are you'd notice which car was the closest when it happened. I'm ready to order more dashcams and rearrange to all 4 corners!

Stay tuned.

joe384

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dash Cam
2 x DR590W-2CH, Cellink B
Lets hope the police come back. Generally people will admit to it if they think they have been found out.

Back some 15 years ago my car door was scuffed/dented in the work carpark. There was CCTV but it was mega grainy and low frame rate. I basically spent several hours with the security staff reviewing the footage and checking each car that left the carpark. We were able to discount some people that we knew and I couldn't find any damage on the other cars. Eventually we narrowed it down to a particular colour car and routhly where is was parked so I sent out an email round. Eventually one guy said he checked his car and it had damage on it, and it was the same colour and he paid me the cost of repair! I don't know how he managed to hit a car without realising :rolleyes:

The thing is, you'd definitely have the scratching sound on the recording. Would take longer to decipher, but the odds are you'd notice which car was the closest when it happened. I'm ready to order more dashcams and rearrange to all 4 corners!

Stay tuned.

It can get quite expensive! But it does increase your chances of capturing useful footage.