Hit & Run: C̵a̵n̵'̵t̵ ̵ Can make out license plate!

HonestReview

Reaction score
Country
Sweden
The thing is, you'd definitely have the scratching sound on the recording. Would take longer to decipher, but the odds are you'd notice which car was the closest when it happened. I'm ready to order more dashcams and rearrange to all 4 corners!

Stay tuned.

Unfortunately, I was pretty certain where it happened, but I scoured through my Dash Cam Video and saw nothing. Was quite pissed, since I do have front and rear with parking mode via hardwire.

Not sure if it was a car door. The thickness of the scratch is about that of a credit card. I don't think it was a key, or it'd be very jagged. It's two lines in parallel. My guess is someone's car door or a shopping car. But I saw neither on my camera. Could someone have used another object like a knife or paper clip? Possibly.

Either way, it's infuriating when you spend a great deal of money on a vehicle and some jackass decides to damage it...Volvos aren't cheap!

HonestReview

Reaction score
Country
Sweden
Lets hope the police come back. Generally people will admit to it if they think they have been found out.

Back some 15 years ago my car door was scuffed/dented in the work carpark. There was CCTV but it was mega grainy and low frame rate. I basically spent several hours with the security staff reviewing the footage and checking each car that left the carpark. We were able to discount some people that we knew and I couldn't find any damage on the other cars. Eventually we narrowed it down to a particular colour car and routhly where is was parked so I sent out an email round. Eventually one guy said he checked his car and it had damage on it, and it was the same colour and he paid me the cost of repair! I don't know how he managed to hit a car without realising :rolleyes:

It can get quite expensive! But it does increase your chances of capturing useful footage.

I didn't see or hear anyone. I scoured the video when I first noticed damage. I couldn't find a thing. And where I suspected it happened, it was night time. I saw no one or no object. Sadly, with only Front and Rear cameras, you miss the sides. I didn't hear scratching or a thunk, but that doesn't mean these didn't happen. As clearly my car has damage. I looked around in parking lot but saw no one with damage on their vehicle. So it's possible it'd happened elsewhere.

I ended up accepting it, begrudgingly, because I don't want to spend ~$1000/800E having the damn panel repainted to fix a 20Cm credit card width scratch deep in clear coat. Body shop also told me their honest recommendation was "suck it up" and leave it alone.

I've definitely been considering a Taxi Cam where it shows interior of cabin and the side views.

152bobby

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
In the UK we have a online Car Tax and MOT checker run by the UK Government, which is a easy and clever way for anyone to see if a car is being used on the roads illegally. We can put in the registration of a car, it will state make and colour and the expiry dates of Tax and MOT.

You may not have this, but if you did, you can put in the various combinations of what you think the registration number is and you already have the colour and Make until you hit the jackpot with a registration number that matches the colour and make !!

Probably does not help, but I thought I'd mention it.

derf

Reaction score
I don't know how he managed to hit a car without realising :rolleyes:

So about 6 months ago I was in an accident. This happened at night, while raining, going about a round-about. The inner lane was to continue around the circle, the middle lane could continue or exit, and the outside lane had to exit. I was in the middle lane, and a jerk who was on the inside lane tried to get around me and exit but didn't succeed and was about to miss the exit so he simply moved over into me. This was a side collision on my rear driver door and the passenger door of the other vehicle. I was pretty shaken, but the damage wasn't actually that severe. The other driver claimed that I veered into him. My dash cam didn't capture anything of the collision, but the video did show that I did not not exit my lane when the 'thump' happened. I submitted it via Youtube to my insurance and they found the other driver at fault. They also gave me a rental car while my car was in the shop to get fixed. The rental car did not come with additional insurance provided, and I turned down the extra insurance and I didn't want to pay any out-of-pocket costs.

Fast forward two days and I go over to my friend's house in the rental car. He has a small driveway so I park on the street and spend a few hours over there. When I come out at 11pm the entire side of my car is crushed in, like completely! It looks like it was t-boned. No note, no camera footage, I can't even open the rear door it is so crushed. Luckily my friend tells me the next day that his wife sees a new ding on the neighbor's jeep rear bumper. I go over to the neighbor after work and find the wife home. I show her the rental car, and point out the damage to the back of her jeep. She said it was her son's car, and that he was away at college and the car hasn't been driven. I asked if her husband might have driven it, and she said she would talk to him, but he doesn't answer his phone while he's out at work. A day later the husband calls me up and says he was running out on an E.R. call (he's a doctor) and backed out of the driveway with his son's car and didn't realize he hit something. On a Saturday night, I thought it more likely he was drunk than rushing to a hospital. But at least he admitted it and offered to pay the insurance claim. However, both incidents ended up on my record. Combined with a third accident where I was rear-ended and my insurance company dropped me after 6 months. They argued that even though none of the accidents were my fault, on paper I appeared to be more 'accident prone' than another driver who didn't have any incidents.

So the long and the short of it is, sometimes people say 'they didn't know', but I think they really do know.

HonestReview

Reaction score
Country
Sweden
So the long and the short of it is, sometimes people say 'they didn't know', but I think they really do know.

Google how insurance works in New York. Says New York is a No fault state... So I guess your insurance company got tired of paying out claims on your behalf. Wonder why they didn't chase down the other insurance company for reimbursement. Either way, I was hit about 15 months ago (rear ended) and was caught on my camera. At fault admitted to it, but his insurance company played games. I whipped out video and within 15 minutes of sending the video, they had whiplash and stuttered out a response somewhere between dumbfounded and flabbergasted.. Was Hilarious.

derf

Reaction score
Google how insurance works in New York. Says New York is a No fault state... So I guess your insurance company got tired of paying out claims on your behalf. Wonder why they didn't chase down the other insurance company for reimbursement. Either way, I was hit about 15 months ago (rear ended) and was caught on my camera. At fault admitted to it, but his insurance company played games. I whipped out video and within 15 minutes of sending the video, they had whiplash and stuttered out a response somewhere between dumbfounded and flabbergasted.. Was Hilarious.

I know how NY insurance works. No fault does not mean what most people think it means. And no, my insurance company did not have to pay out any claims on my behalf, all accidents were shown to be other driver's faults. The only one I didn't have a camera to prove was the rental, and the car was parked when it happened, I wasn't even driving and I also got the actual driver to fess up and pay the enterprise insurance claim. Still, they have a computer algorithm that says I have more 'interactions' with other drivers, and they view that as high risk.

Cameras can help make your argument, but I'd rather live out west or down south where people aren't in such a rush, than in NY where the mentality is go-go-go-me-first-outta-my-way-hurry-up-beep-beep-the-light-turned-green-0.5-seconds-ago-idiot-move-already-not-fast-enough-so-i'll-tailgate-you-to-go-faster-don't-use-blinkers-i'm-moving-over-slamming-on-my-brakes-cutting-you-off-asshole-turning-from-a-no-turn-lane-whoops accident.

HonestReview

Reaction score
Country
Sweden
I know how NY insurance works. No fault does not mean what most people think it means. And no, my insurance company did not have to pay out any claims on my behalf, all accidents were shown to be other driver's faults. The only one I didn't have a camera to prove was the rental, and the car was parked when it happened, I wasn't even driving and I also got the actual driver to fess up and pay the enterprise insurance claim. Still, they have a computer algorithm that says I have more 'interactions' with other drivers, and they view that as high risk.

Cameras can help make your argument, but I'd rather live out west or down south where people aren't in such a rush, than in NY where the mentality is go-go-go-me-first-outta-my-way-hurry-up-beep-beep-the-light-turned-green-0.5-seconds-ago-idiot-move-already-not-fast-enough-so-i'll-tailgate-you-to-go-faster-don't-use-blinkers-i'm-moving-over-slamming-on-my-brakes-cutting-you-off-asshole-turning-from-a-no-turn-lane-whoops accident.

Sorry I meant I googled.. Not you to google. And I guess you are just a magnet for every A-Hole driver. Park mode on Dash Cameras is quite useful.

kamkar

Reaction score
Country
Denmark
Dash Cam
10 years, many dashcams
if i was able to go and see America, even staying there for 6 months or so, well places like NYC i dont think i would visit.
It is just i dont think NYC have anything i want to see, outside of Americans, and plenty of those in more open areas of the Country.
And if you are in NYC, well i have been 6 hours in LA back in 1990, and i have no plan to return there either if i got to do my great American walkabout.

jokiin

Manufacturer
Reaction score
Country
Australia
Dash Cam
Too many ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
if i was able to go and see America, even staying there for 6 months or so, well places like NYC i dont think i would visit.
wasn't really on my bucket list but I did visit NY about 12 years ago and really enjoyed it, a lot better than I anticipated

SawMaster

Reaction score
Country
United States
Dash Cam
G1W-S, G1W-HC, G1W clone, B1W, K2S, B2W, (ex N2Pro & Mobius)
Gotta love how insurance works :mad: With builders insurance they pay two claims total; when the second claim is filed they dump you and you've got to find someone else before you can go back to work. The claims can be because of faulty materials but that doesn't matter, you bear the brunt. Folks don't drive any smarter anywhere else I've been, but the idiocy is slower and less frequent here in SC. And always buy the extra insurance on rentals; losses are expensive on a new or nearly new car. Always do a 'walk-around' vid before taking it and after dropping it off; more than a few people have paid for a rental employee's mistakes because they couldn't prove they turned in an undamaged car ;)

Yes, dashcams can help a lot, but in the end it's your insurance that does the work when things go wrong.

Phil

HonestReview

Reaction score
Country
Sweden
Gotta love how insurance works :mad: With builders insurance they pay two claims total; when the second claim is filed they dump you and you've got to find someone else before you can go back to work. The claims can be because of faulty materials but that doesn't matter, you bear the brunt. Folks don't drive any smarter anywhere else I've been, but the idiocy is slower and less frequent here in SC. And always buy the extra insurance on rentals; losses are expensive on a new or nearly new car. Always do a 'walk-around' vid before taking it and after dropping it off; more than a few people have paid for a rental employee's mistakes because they couldn't prove they turned in an undamaged car ;)

Yes, dashcams can help a lot, but in the end it's your insurance that does the work when things go wrong.

Phil

Rental Companies are notorious scam artists. Whenever I get a car, I tell them to mark down every scratch, ding, tear, etc. You'll usually get "this is not a big deal" from the agent. Don't believe them! Take pictures and DEMAND they get marked on the paperwork. Rental companies are well known for taking cars back and blaming the person for issues that were already present, because you failed to notate the damage. It's a money maker. Not only do they get the car fixed at your expense, they also charge for loss of use for the vehicle being out of service. Never ever put yourself in that situation!

My mother got a rental one time where she drove it a few kms from the rental agency to her house. Then, the car was parked. The next day she went to drive the car, didn't make it far before the transmission went out! They tried hitting her with a huge ass bill saying it was "her fault". I contacted the executive office and can't remembered if I contacted media or threatened, but it worked. The claim was dropped because they knew it wasn't going to work on her.