Hit & Run difficult time reading out plates

xRYD3Rx

Reaction score
Country
United States
I was involved in a hit and run my blackvue 750-2ch dash cam caught it, however, I'm having a difficult time reading out the full plates.
The car that hit me was following me to exit the freeway as we were about to exit the driver immediately changed their lane back onto the freeway and sped away was too late for me to get back on the freeway.

Need some help, is there any way we can read out the plates, i got few of the #s.

California license plates... first # is 6 and last 3 are 425 ... having a hard time figuring out the middle 3 letters

Car was a black Honda Civic 06-11

Link to video:

Sorry to hear of your problems :( Here are some threads in which you might find some help:
https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threa...h-more-details-from-night-video-footage.8255/
https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threads/i-wont-to-know-this-license-plat-numbers.27856/

If you can get a little bit more, there's a chance CHP will work with you and nab the culprit. Hoping this helps!

Phil

Thank you for providing some valuable resources. I tried my best seems like Im only able to identify last 3 #s of the plates im not sure if the CHP can do much with only 3 numbers of the plates.
If anyone can help me out if they have the software to edit and view blur videos, I can send the raw video. Thanks in advanced.

If you go frame-by-frame through the entire time where the numbers might be visible looking only for the missing ones, you might get some guidance even if only through eliminating numbers like 1 and 7 which have only a single vertical component in the middle. It's going to take a lot of effort to do this- the crazy things they portray on TV and movies where one keystroke solves everything just doesn't happen yet even at professional level.

Phil

Best of luck with that! If you're close they should be able to find it easily even with a digit wrong.

Phil

Here in Denmark we can look up license plates in a open database, but if there are no debt in the car it will not give you the owner name.
But its a okay means to check if that i think cameras i test say the plate is, and then what it actually are, most cases it have been fine and one time i am pretty sure the car was driving with a stolen plate cuz i was like 98% sure of the plate on that car.

Here in Denmark we can look up license plates in a open database, but if there are no debt in the car it will not give you the owner name.
But its a okay means to check if that i think cameras i test say the plate is, and then what it actually are, most cases it have been fine and one time i am pretty sure the car was driving with a stolen plate cuz i was like 98% sure of the plate on that car.

Here in California only law enforcement are able to access that database.
I can only try to obtain basic information about the cars make, model, accident, service history, recalls but not the owner name or address.

40 years ago I had a drunk run over me while I was riding my bicycle to work. I wasn't badly hurt but my glasses were knocked off, and freaked out, so when he backed up to cuss me out for being in his way, I didn't get all of the license plate numbers right. I think I was one letter off. The trooper who 'investigated' did nothing, except lose the evidence. (pieces of plastic radiator grill and such) In that state you could pay a few dollars and look up ANY license number. I was one number off, but had the color and model of the car. The sympathetic clerk checked a few possibilities, and came up with the right car.

(the trooper had already screwed up, or blown off the investigation, anyway. Nothing happened, except i was out maybe 3 weeks income for a trashed bike and slid through clothing)

I think I figured out the license plate.
Fingers crossed.
Did you figure it out purely from the video you linked above, or also from other information such as memory?

Curious since nobody else has given any suggestions from watching the video so it's clearly not easy to read anything...

Did you figure it out purely from the video you linked above, or also from other information such as memory?

Curious since nobody else has given any suggestions from watching the video so it's clearly not easy to read anything...

There's an online website that allows you to search up license plates I already knew 4 of the numbers after a few trial and errors I was able to find a license plate that matches the car that hit me, HOWEVER! That doesn't mean its 100% that car. I gave the number to the police they need to run the license plates in their system and see if it was the same color because I cant seem to find that information. I think once the police figure out the color of the car it will make sense that they can pursue with that plate number and maybe go to that persons address and see if the car is there. I will update this thread if anything new occurs but at this moment we are just waiting.

This thread is interesting, I do hope something good comes out of it from your deduction and effort.

A dashcam are not the end all solution unfortunately, but in many cases it will be much better than no camera at all.
The main challenge is how the cameras perform in low light conditions, if it was high noon and sunshine all the time, dashcams would catch just about anything.

A dashcam are not the end all solution unfortunately, but in many cases it will be much better than no camera at all.
The main challenge is how the cameras perform in low light conditions, if it was high noon and sunshine all the time, dashcams would catch just about anything.

I agree with you during the day time the camera catches everything perfectly like today I was able to catch someone hit and run a parked vehicle during day time and the camera caught everything nicely.

This thread is interesting, I do hope something good comes out of it from your deduction and effort.

Everything is going smoothly so far. I do have full insurance so my car is being fixed. The police/insurance has the other partys license # and vehicle info I hope they catch the person. I will keep you guys updated.

That's awesome. Hopefully you can recover your cost to repair your car.

Great news! Please keeps us posted over the next few weeks or months as this is sorted out. My guess is the police will refuse to get involved, but at least your insurance will do their job.

Back