Hit while parked and A129 didn't catch it.

Ramacher

Reaction score
Country
United States
I'm really frustrated right now.

I have parking mode set to Auto Event Detection and Motion Detection to On.

I first noticed it this morning walking to my car to go to work. Front left corner is hit/scratched. I pulled the SD Card and nothing saved in the RO folder. Copied all the videos to my laptop and watched them all and nothing. It's got about 2 days of video (from the afternoon on 12/4 to the morning of 12/6). What's frustrating is some videos seem to cut short (are not the full 1 minute I have it set to) and even more frustrating is it just skips hours at a time when there's clearly motion it should be picking up on and recording. In my office parking garage (which is where I suspect the hit happened) it records all day up to around 3:30, then jumps to 5:30 which is when I'm leaving my office... And from that last video at 3:30, there are cars parked in front of me, then the next clip at 5:30 pm, they're gone. It should have picked up the motion and recorded that!

IMG_20181206_091757.jpg

From my understanding you cant use parking mode and motion detection at the same time. If you switch to auto detect event and leave motion detection off that acts as a parking motion detection. Anyone can correct me if I am wrong, but that's what I experienced.

From my understanding you cant use parking mode and motion detection at the same time. If you switch to auto detect event and leave motion detection off that acts as a parking motion detection. Anyone can correct me if I am wrong, but that's what I experienced.

Yeah I'm just realizing that now, but if I enabled motion detection after Auto event parking, it should still record on motion detection.

Yeah I'm just realizing that now, but if I enabled motion detection after Auto event parking, it should still record on motion detection.
Not if the car is off then the camera will switch off if your using the 3 wire kit if no parking mode is detected.

Set it to time lapse 2-5fps, that way it records everything in Parking mode.

I would definitely goo have a look at the other cars in the parking garage on Monday, the offending car got to have some marks too.
Look like a black or dark colored car

Not if the car is off then the camera will switch off if your using the 3 wire kit if no parking mode is detected.

While I do have the hardwire kit installed, I have it plugged into the GPS Mount, not directly to the cam, so it doesn't sense if car is on ACC or IGN. It acts as if it's always plugged in. I work in the field and sit/work in my car a lot, like I'm doing right now. Currently there is no motion in front of the camera and it's not recording (red light is blinking). But whenever it detects motion, it starts recording. For example 4 guys just walked in front of my vehicle and it started recording.

Set it to time lapse 2-5fps, that way it records everything in Parking mode.

That's how I had it before but since I work in the field, my car is basically my office, I noticed it wasn't always detecting when the car was off and when it was on. I ended up having 1+ hour drives in timelapse and that's when I changed it to what it is now.

I would definitely goo have a look at the other cars in the parking garage on Monday, the offending car got to have some marks too.
Look like a black or dark colored car

That's what I plan on doing, I'm out in the field now but go into the office tomorrow morning. I'm also going to check my apt building's garage as well. The black is the black plastic of my bumper, that's how deep/bad the scratches are. The car that hit me is either white or silver. Going through the videos, I saw that I parked next to a silver Camaro the night of the 4th when I got home at 1856. It records a few clips after I leave the vehicle, then it jumps to 2040 when I'm parking in the grocery store next to my building. WHY did it skip from 1900hrs to 2040hrs? I can't find the pattern of when it wants to record and when it doesn't record...

You need to go tactical on the punk, if you are pretty sure identifying him try to point out your camera and say he better come clean " or else"

You need to go tactical on the punk, if you are pretty sure identifying him try to point out your camera and say he better come clean " or else"

If that car does have damage that's in line to the damage on my car I think I will leave a note that says "my dashcam recorded you hitting my vehicle, please contact me at ########. I haven't reached out to my insurance or filled a police report yet." Or something like that in hopes they'll call me and try to get it sorted out. If not then I'll just call the police and file a report then get my insurance to contact their insurance and have them pay for the repairs.

While I do have the hardwire kit installed, I have it plugged into the GPS Mount, not directly to the cam, so it doesn't sense if car is on ACC or IGN. It acts as if it's always plugged in. I work in the field and sit/work in my car a lot, like I'm doing right now. Currently there is no motion in front of the camera and it's not recording (red light is blinking). But whenever it detects motion, it starts recording. For example 4 guys just walked in front of my vehicle and it started recording.

That's how I had it before but since I work in the field, my car is basically my office, I noticed it wasn't always detecting when the car was off and when it was on. I ended up having 1+ hour drives in timelapse and that's when I changed it to what it is now.

That's what I plan on doing, I'm out in the field now but go into the office tomorrow morning. I'm also going to check my apt building's garage as well. The black is the black plastic of my bumper, that's how deep/bad the scratches are. The car that hit me is either white or silver. Going through the videos, I saw that I parked next to a silver Camaro the night of the 4th when I got home at 1856. It records a few clips after I leave the vehicle, then it jumps to 2040 when I'm parking in the grocery store next to my building. WHY did it skip from 1900hrs to 2040hrs? I can't find the pattern of when it wants to record and when it doesn't record...
Depending on angle of other car that hit your corner bumper its possible the visual motion detection wasn't triggered which needs more center area overlap unless it was continuous 2-5fps time-lapse. With Parking Mode enabled it should have recorded a G-sensor event in RO folder, in many test clips I've noticed - slow gentle rocking doesn't trigger G-sensor event, so if its a slow rub and not a sharp hit it could be missed, Thats a sensitivity adjustment VIOFO must make.

The Parking Mode advantage A129Duo has over A119/Pro/S is the additional selectable options. Plan to test them all again shortly, maybe one option isn't configured correctly or sensitivity is still too low.

Update: turns out my car battery was dying and on the way out and that's why the dashcam was cutting out. I just installed an AGM Battery so shouldn't be having this issue anymore.

Back