Home cameras?

Limeybastard

Reaction score
Country
United States
Dash Cam
Front A119 , Rear A119S v1
Was wondering if anyone can recommend any home cams . I used to have 4 ip2m-841 hd 1080p cameras but found them somewhat lackluster on the software front.

Sent from my SM-T819Y using Tapatalk

I run 4 China IP cameras, all 1080p on a 4 channel qvia NVR ( rabadged Dahua NVR )
Works well for the little prize i have paid for them, main camera are the PTZ one on my balcony door that's aimed at my car parked in the back year behind the apartment building ( i live on the 2 floor )

Latest camera are a core camera ( just PCB board no casing ) it have the awesome IMX 185 sensor, so it have plenty of light from the one street light down below to give my color footage day or night.

I would go for Sony IMX 291 or IMX 185 cameras if i was to go shopping now, i really really want a little PTZ camera with one of those sensors for the living room window, but i can not afford it as things are now.

I run 4 China IP cameras, all 1080p on a 4 channel qvia NVR ( rabadged Dahua NVR )
Works well for the little prize i have paid for them, main camera are the PTZ one on my balcony door that's aimed at my car parked in the back year behind the apartment building ( i live on the 2 floor )

Latest camera are a core camera ( just PCB board no casing ) it have the awesome IMX 185 sensor, so it have plenty of light from the one street light down below to give my color footage day or night.

I would go for Sony IMX 291 or IMX 185 cameras if i was to go shopping now, i really really want a little PTZ camera with one of those sensors for the living room window, but i can not afford it as things are now.
Hi , sounded a little complex for me lol. Do you have any links showing setup of such system please?

I'm assuming you have a few cameras connected to a recording dvr nvr device?
Any of those cam sensors available for wireless indoors application?

Yeah NVR are short for Network Video Recorder, simple put it is just a network switch you can but a hdd inside to record the footage of the cameras on.
I have each of the 4 cameras wired to that box and then the box wired to a wifi router, this way i can see footage on my living room TV ( connected with HDMI to NVR ) and i can see footage on my computer as it is also connected to the router, and finally via the wifi in the router i can also see camera footage on my 7" laptop that's on my bedside table when i sleep.

NVR have motion detect and alarm and i am zoomed in on my car where it is parked, so if anything human sized come within 1 M of the car the alarm goes off and wake me up.

Some captures i have made.
Kitchen fire ( stove ) down on the first floor at the senile old lady that use to live there, this camera are replaced with IMX 185 camera now.
Demoing programmable tour on the PTZ camera, i would prefer a new model with track and zoom option.

This are the updated version of my NVR, now much better than the 4 year old model i have.
http://www1.dahuasecurity.com/products/nvr410441084116-4ks2-8211.html

There are some ways to do it, you can connect your cameras to a switch and then that to your computer, and so you can acess each camera like a web page, and if your computer are on all the time you can record on it.

Other cameras can offload their footage to a NAS ( Network Attached Storage ) box, and i assume being controlled via your computer also on same network.
This option let you turn off your computer as the cameras are offloading onto the hard drives in the NAS.

The NVR i have are i believe the more true CCTV solution, you can get them with as many channels as you like or can afford, my little one just support one harddrive up to 4Tb in size, the larger units support more hard drives and RAID configurations for data safety.

You control the cameras via the NVR using the standard languages like onvif and a range of other formats, but onvif seem to be the most used by now.

So i can turn and zoom my PTZ camera ( Pan Tilt Zoom ) using the software on my computer, the app on my tablet, or the wireless mouse i have connected to the NVR so i can control the mouse cursor on my TV screen.

ATM i dont have the computer connected to the system as i changed over to win 10 and have not bothered with setting up the software on the computer ( PC software came with the NVR )

I've been using Hikvision with Synology as NVR. They are available with various lenses (I have 4mm and 12mm) depending on what you want to cover. 3MP ones go for about $150.

kamkar, I want a PTZ camera just like yours. if only to point it at my vehicle when I can't park directly in front of the house.

Currently I have the netgear arlo system. It’s been super reliable. I love the ease of installation since the cameras are fully wireless. The cloud storage is free for 7-days unlike the nest cameras which require a paid subscription. The recordings are easily downloadable for permanent storage with the arlo app. I have the base station, wireless router and cable modem plugged into an uninterruptable power supply so that monitoring doesn’t stop when the power goes out. It is so easy to get the system online and accessible by mobile app anywhere you have data signal. It has a geo-fencing feature that activates which recording mode you want when you’re in or when you’re out. For example, when I’m home, I have the interior cameras disabled so that they don’t record any private moments. When I leave home with my phone, it automatically activates all cameras to record when motion is detected.

But there are some drawbacks compared to traditional NVR systems. With a traditional NVR system, you don’t have to replace or recharge batteries since they’re hard-wired. You can install a huge hard drive and not worry about storage. The arlo system does not have pre-buffered motion recording so it may miss a second or two before it starts recording. It also does not have a programmable motion detect grid. But that’s mostly OK since it will not record leaves in the wind, it will record only when it detects a heat signature. My previous NVR system was made by zmodo and it was reliable but the networking on it was very challenging to get it to connect to my phone. I’m sure current systems are better in that regard.

I mostly don't have to redirect my camera, but i have just had a couple of days where someone took my spot, so i had to park on his side.
And that's the reason i have the PTZ camera, when zoomed in so close ( and you need that to be able to identify a person ) then it don't take much before your car are not in frame.

You should go for a newer model supporting automatic track and zoom, this way you can be zoomed all the way out, and then when something enter the frame the camera track it and zoom in on it.

Newer cameras can also detect changes in the frame, say the mailman left a parcel on your front porch the camera will then notice that and notify you there are something new in the frame.
Sort of a advanced motion detect or rather new object detection, used for say a terrorist leave a bomb somewhere, when it have been sitting there in frame for a few minutes a alarm will sound off notifying officials to take action on the matter.

these high end features are now mainstream in many cameras and controlling systems, that's pretty neat and for a geek like me unbearable to watch as i can not afford to buy it.

The technology can also do missing object detection, so if something that's normally in the frame suddenly disappear, then the alarm also go off.

you can also put in a virtual fence line, when crossed alarm also go off, and can prompt cameras to do something like track and zoom

I haven't checked it out yet, but a member on a builder's forum recommended seeking advice here for these kinds of cams:
http://www.cctvforum.com/
I still need to get something going here but the money just ain't available :(

Phil

Hikvision cams have huge number of settings that can be controlled via web browser or published REST API. My favorite feature is "Intrusion Detection" where you draw line around area that you want to protect and camera does the rest:
hik.png

Yeah NVR are short for Network Video Recorder, simple put it is just a network switch you can but a hdd inside to record the footage of the cameras on.
I have each of the 4 cameras wired to that box and then the box wired to a wifi router, this way i can see footage on my living room TV ( connected with HDMI to NVR ) and i can see footage on my computer as it is also connected to the router, and finally via the wifi in the router i can also see camera footage on my 7" laptop that's on my bedside table when i sleep.

NVR have motion detect and alarm and i am zoomed in on my car where it is parked, so if anything human sized come within 1 M of the car the alarm goes off and wake me up.

Some captures i have made.
Kitchen fire ( stove ) down on the first floor at the senile old lady that use to live there, this camera are replaced with IMX 185 camera now.
Demoing programmable tour on the PTZ camera, i would prefer a new model with track and zoom option.

This are the updated version of my NVR, now much better than the 4 year old model i have.
http://www1.dahuasecurity.com/products/nvr410441084116-4ks2-8211.html

There are some ways to do it, you can connect your cameras to a switch and then that to your computer, and so you can acess each camera like a web page, and if your computer are on all the time you can record on it.

Other cameras can offload their footage to a NAS ( Network Attached Storage ) box, and i assume being controlled via your computer also on same network.
This option let you turn off your computer as the cameras are offloading onto the hard drives in the NAS.

The NVR i have are i believe the more true CCTV solution, you can get them with as many channels as you like or can afford, my little one just support one harddrive up to 4Tb in size, the larger units support more hard drives and RAID configurations for data safety.

You control the cameras via the NVR using the standard languages like onvif and a range of other formats, but onvif seem to be the most used by now.

So i can turn and zoom my PTZ camera ( Pan Tilt Zoom ) using the software on my computer, the app on my tablet, or the wireless mouse i have connected to the NVR so i can control the mouse cursor on my TV screen.

ATM i dont have the computer connected to the system as i changed over to win 10 and have not bothered with setting up the software on the computer ( PC software came with the NVR )
Quick question the camera for the parked cars and guy pissing behind it. Is that optical zoom for sure?, what model spec? You mentioned current camera is equivalent with better night sensors, any models names ? Thanks

Are these all POE types?

Those videos with asian folks looked very grainy, the night mono mode of your parked car lookes sharp.

So moral of the story, buy the parts seperate . Select cam types , nvr etc..

Last edited:
Yes that camera have 20 X optical zoom. 3 of my 4 cameras are POE but i don't use that for powering them, just the little 12 V PSU that come with the cameras.
But my NVR do support POE, have a separate PSU for that you have to plug in the back of it if you want to use that.
POE are nice so you only have to run the one wire to the camera, but only my PTZ camera are on the outside of my balcony door, the rest are on the inside so no problem threading the extra wire to power the cameras.

I suppose there are kits with the whole package from major brands as Hikvision - Dahua and so on, but most likely they will be with x number of fixed cameras and not have a PTZ camera in the bundle.

My PTZ camera are the large 7" football ( American ) sized and sort of shaped type, looks like this.
IMG_20170406_170821[1].jpg

https://www.ebay.com/itm/122409018337
Today you can get the same but in a more discreet 4" dome

Back