Home CCTV

DashcamDPR

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dash Cam
A119 Pro, Mio Mivue 508 for the work van
I apologise if this is not the place, but I figured maybe given the nature of this site, many of its users may still be able to help me, or at least point me to a more dedicated forum?

I'm looking for a very simple CCTV camera, only one (possibly 2) that is basically standalone, plugged into a wall socket and will record onto a large enough memory card (128gb) and doesn't have/need wifi/internet connection

is this for inside or outside of the building?

most home security cameras these days are networked for mobile access. there are plenty of inexpensive cameras that start around $40 that are networked and record to SD memory. you don't need them to be online to work, though...especially if you have privacy concerns using them inside.

Thanks for your reply :)

inside.... Privacy is exactly the reason I don't want it internet connected. they're too easy to hack here

I actually considered buying a small dashcam to have slightly hidden where I want it positioned, with either a 128gb card in, or motion detection active, having it running off a phone charger in the wall outlet

although it does freak me out a little bit, i do love that my netgear arlo cameras record to the cloud. in my opinion, recordings should be located off-site or if it is on-site it should be sitting in a secured box that's weatherproof, fireproof and theft-proof.

but if you're not concerned with any of those potential scenarios, you can go with whatever cameras fit your needs. if it was me, i'd probably get a networked camera anyway and just don't connect it to the web. that way, you'll have that option in the future if you want it. and you can always have it on when you're away and unplugged when you're at home anyway.

None of my cameras can film me, or rather one can if i stand right up against the rear door in my apartment.
I have never liked CCTV cameras on myself in my own place, out on the street i dont care, but on the streets i dont run butt naked around as i some times do in my apartment.

All my cameras do have their default PW replaced but it bother me i cant delete or at least rename the admin UN account, to me that's already the other part being half way in my camera.
Same goes for my NVR.
Same goes for my phone and tablet, i am pretty aware where their cameras are pointing, and on my tablet i have even destroyed the front camera though it is of such bad quality it was hardly worth the trouble.
I also wish i could get a phone without any cameras, or at least with some mechanical slider to cover the lens when not in use.

And dont get me stated on those digital aid thingies and televisions with cameras in them so you can wave at the TV to change channel, i dont get that stupid as i think the remotes we had for ages do just fine controlling a TV.

And the IOT fab with computers and network in anything, i really cant see any sane persons coming up with that, so it must be clandestine agencies that promote that stuff.

If i ever meet a person with a internet connected refrigerator or thermostats / whatever i will at once tell the person he/she is a idiot, and then leave.

it's strange how we are such luddites on certain things, huh? :)

I have my home cameras geo-fenced so that they do not record the interior when I'm home...at least I hope they don't. :p

I do have a few wifi switches and power outlets to automate things like water heaters / lights / cameras, etc. all with my mobile device. and I'm also a big fan of my amazon echo that for all I know could be listening to every conversation that I have.

It is now pretty common for thieves here and the ones that travel here, to find their targets of facetwitt and so where people flaunt their wealth.
You really do not want to use geo-tag on the pictures in your home, or be stupid enough to use your real name on facetwitt, if you do and have things of interest, well then you might as well say goodbye to them now.

Some people thing i am a tin foil hat kind of guy, but that's far from the truth, its just some thing i have opted out of and other things i am just careful about.
As it is now i dont care if some one hack my wifi router and go thru it to my NVR as i am only in the footage getting into my car.

I would kill ( manner of speaking ) to be able to build myself a new computer now, but it will cost me 15000 Dkkr / 2350 USD.
And off course i build my own computers i always have, that's how much geek / nerd / techie i am.

i get your point. i had a facebook account for all of two months a few years ago. i honestly got tired of certain acquaintances over-sharing and really it was just another time-waster i didn't want to maintain. but i understand it has some pretty good uses for some folks.

i'm generally a fan of technology and like some of the conveniences that it can afford me, especially if it's low-maintenance. but i also understand that it can be compromised and i try to educate myself on what can go wrong before i jump in to whatever the "new" thing is.

Thanks for your reply :)

inside.... Privacy is exactly the reason I don't want it internet connected. they're too easy to hack here

I actually considered buying a small dashcam to have slightly hidden where I want it positioned, with either a 128gb card in, or motion detection active, having it running off a phone charger in the wall outlet

I did see what appeared to be a dashcam, housed in a normal, outdoor security cam body, on Amazon. The specs were vague, so wasn't worth pursuing. Powered by USB cord, and if you wanted to view the files you accessed it by a very long cable to your computer. :)

I was looking for a very simple camera for the back of my friends house, preferably one she could easily view the live image via a smartphone or laptop from within the house. (she wants to see what is going on in the back yard when the dogs are barking....without going out there.) It wouldn't need internet capability, and she uses internet via tethering to her smartphone.

I'think' it's possible to set up an internal wifi system for her house that is not connected to the internet, solely for the sake of using one or two of the wifi enabled security cameras?

(Not really messed with that kind of stuff.)

I assume you can set up a wifi router to do that?

I did see what appeared to be a dashcam, housed in a normal, outdoor security cam body, on Amazon. The specs were vague, so wasn't worth pursuing. Powered by USB cord, and if you wanted to view the files you accessed it by a very long cable to your computer. :)

I was looking for a very simple camera for the back of my friends house, preferably one she could easily view the live image via a smartphone or laptop from within the house. (she wants to see what is going on in the back yard when the dogs are barking....without going out there.) It wouldn't need internet capability, and she uses internet via tethering to her smartphone.

I'think' it's possible to set up an internal wifi system for her house that is not connected to the internet, solely for the sake of using one or two of the wifi enabled security cameras?

(Not really messed with that kind of stuff.)

I assume you can set up a wifi router to do that?

here's a setup from motorola for just that purpose. it comes with its own screen so she won't be using her own mobile device. it's basically an outdoor baby monitor.

Two way communication with the dogs? She does that by bellowing. :) They answer by running toward her, or away. (depending on what they've been up to)
That motorola setup says it has 'indoor cameras'.

Her property backs up to some farmland. One of the other goals is motion detection, to see who is snooping around while she is at work. She has some fruit trees I know the neighbor kids raid, but recently they've been stripped clean. The kids just take a few to eat. Occasionally other minor stuff goes missing.

there's plenty of discreet cameras on amazon. they can look like books, USB wall plugs, photo frames, etc. and some of those have wifi as well and can alert you when movement is sensed.

Someone in here even tested / have a camera that is build into a light bulb ( a larger one off-course )

But you can get spy cameras in all manner of shapes, from clock radios to stuffed animals. some might call then nanny cams too.

2002.jpg

61MsAD3UpsL._SY355_.jpg

m5lkcDX4dJ2hQAMyAYlmtMg.jpg

PFH640__67698.1424562547.jpg

6sh1332080470.jpg

mini-charger-spy-camera-socket-home-security.jpg

st-ms450-wf.jpg

SecureGuardSonyAlarmClockSpyCamera_WEB.jpg

hidden%20nanny%20cam.jpg

desk-lamp-dvr-nanny-camera-500x500.jpg

In general what you want you can get, just make sure that with things like this its like dashcams, there are good worthwhile ones and there are ones that is a waster of what ever they are made off.

that's where the problem lies, some of these can cost upwards of £50 and have a camera in that's only worth £5 :D

Here's the one I saw that is basically a dash cam in a weatherproof housing.

Last week I bit the bullet and bought a budget CCTV system (4 channel, came with 2 720p cameras, only £56 without HDD) off amazon, it works great and gives great picture but to get the most of it I had to get the necessary DIY tools to fit/install it properly.... this is where the fun started, and the stuff I wanted to avoid (because I'm rubbish at DIY)!!!

Due to the nature of where I live I can't have a camera at the front without it encroaching any neighbour's boundaries (and a public walkway). Even if I had their permission I'm breaching the data protection act. BUT the cam I have at the rear actually covers everywhere I need it to from one fixed position.

I installed a 500gb 2.5" hard drive I had lying around (I can do that but can't do DIY?!), because I only had an 80gb 3.5" spare which probably wouldn't give me more than a day's worth of continuous recording before overwrite. If the 2.5" fails I'll get the "correct" hard drive (with big enough memory) to replace it (some are made specifically for surveillance systems as they tolerate 24/7 use).

I had to go buy a drill because I didn't have one, I then had to buy a masonry bit because I didn't have one, then I had to learn how to use a drill! The bit was officially too big for the drill because drills have a specific "maximum drill capacity" for different materials (I literally know nothing!)... However, I still successfully managed to use this bit in the drill (the drill was £23 and would have been £50 if I'd bought the correct one :D).

THEN I hit a problem, I tried to get the hole as far out of the way as possible in the top corner of the room as close to the ceiling where the wire would be fed because it was a large hole (20mm bit, hole ended up about 25+mm), but half way through I still hit the steel lintel above the window (I was sure I could have cleared it but it must go right to the end of the room).... And obviously the masonry bit wouldn't go through it and I couldn't find a HSS bit long or wide enough anywhere. I had to abandon that hole for cable feeding, and I'll fill it in tomorrow with mortar and instead I've had to run the wire down the outside of the house and into the old hole at the bottom (near the skirting board) where there used to be a security light cable fed through.... Had to drill that one out wider because it was too narrow!

As a result, due to the wire now being external, I've had to go buy a weatherproof box to cover the connectors of the camera. DIY made me so angry at the little things that didn't go as smoothly as they logically should have. Is that what happens to everyone who does DIY?!

On the bright side, I have an app that lets me view live footage on my phone from anywhere (I imagine it uses a LOT of data if away from wifi) and I can review recorded footage too, and I can record short clips with my phone from the live stream AND take phone-recorded samples from the original recordings. Because the camera is a fixed external one, I'm not concerned about privacy, there's nothing to be gained by someone who may manage to hack into the video feed, other than a poorly kept rear yard and a completely empty shed that'll fall down if the wind hits hard enough :D

And it has motion detection. All in all it appears to do literally everything I need from it, and it wasn't expensive. Hopefully it'll last a couple of years at least!

Any questions?

Back