"hot in start" fuses, help needed please .

bullseye000

Reaction score
Country
United States
hello everyone , my regards to all , l am only a rookie here in need of your help please, just bought the kdlinksx1 and l am ready to hardwire it, and here is my problem>>>>>>> l checked all the fuses and found the two fuses that are hot in start but the problem is both legs on both fuses tested hot when the power is on !! first hot in start fuse l tested was for delayed acc. rated 10A , and the second fuse was for heated steering wheel which l don't have and was rated 20A.........my add-0n- fuse is 5A...............would it be safe to use any of those two fuses since the line and the load sides both tested hot? please let me know if you need more info , thank you in advance..........................alex

Are they hot both sides even with the fuse removed?

Probably both are safe to use, best to use the 20A one if it is on at the correct times.

Are they hot both sides even with the fuse removed?

Probably both are safe to use, best to use the 20A one if it is on at the correct times.
hi Nigel................sorry, l honestly did not test the ports without the fuses, should l do it just for safety.....l really wanted the cold side to tap in , anyway , l will do that as soon to get the chance, it was a hassel just to get access the the fuse box in ford fusion................correct times!!! sorry Nigel , did not understand , my receptors are not working fully today.

hi Nigel................sorry, l honestly did not test the ports without the fuses, should l do it just for safety.....l really wanted the cold side to tap in , anyway , l will do that as soon to get the chance, it was a hassel just to get access the the fuse box in ford fusion................correct times!!! sorry Nigel , did not understand , my receptors are not working fully today.
If the fuse is fitted then the two sides are connected together, if one is hot then both will be hot.
If the fuse is not fitted then the two sides are not connected, normally only one side will then be hot.
If you pull the fuse out then it is easier to test!

ok , then l 'll be going that route for sure, l will not be able to test it again until tomorrow since l don't have the car tonight, will keep you informed later...........in the meanwhile , l thank you for responding , really appreciated, signing off from s.w fl. 7:18 pm

Curious how you could test both legs of an installed fuse and not expect both sides to be hot.. If.. one leg was not hot it would mean the fuse was blown.

Curious how you could test both legs of an installed fuse and not expect both sides to be hot.. If.. one leg was not hot it would mean the fuse was blown.
hi Ralph2...........Nigel and you are absolutely right , l"ll have to retest without the fuse in the holder, its my goof, thank you both for the help.

If you're referring to Nigel's post above he mentioned with the fuse removed
hi Jokiin................l certainly realize that now , my mistake , thank you all to clarify.......sometimes making mistakes paves the way to awareness, a learning process.

hi Ralph2...........Nigel and you are absolutely right , l"ll have to retest without the fuse in the holder, its my goof, thank you both for the help.
You did say: "l am only a rookie here in need of your help", don't worry, we all have to start learning sometime and the forum is here to help. Many people expect everyone to know how a fuse works, but I guess in the USA you don't need to have experience in basic electrics to pass your driving test.

You did say: "l am only a rookie here in need of your help", don't worry, we all have to start learning sometime and the forum is here to help. Many people expect everyone to know how a fuse works, but I guess in the USA you don't need to have experience in basic electrics to pass your driving test.
hello Nigel.................all worked well!! thanks to you , also to Ralph2 and Jokiin for their support and encouragments...........Please know also that in the U.S. you don't have to know how to drive just to pass your car electrical cicuitries test .

Back