Hotspot wifi access ?

in2ndo

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi all.
Been looking on line but haven't found something that might be reliable enough.
What are you guys using as a wifi hotspot ? I ordered the Dashcam and want to have the internet access ready when I receive it.
it would have to be wifi that stays on when I'm not in the truck. so that the camera can access the cloud service.

TIA

Do you park close enough to any hotspots at home or at work? That's the best way to do it and it's how I use it. Otherwise you'll need a wifi hotspot in your car that's also powered while you're parked. I'd imagine most of them shut off with the car to conserve battery.

Reactions: Tfp
Do you park close enough to any hotspots at home or at work? That's the best way to do it and it's how I use it. Otherwise you'll need a wifi hotspot in your car that's also powered while you're parked. I'd imagine most of them shut off with the car to conserve battery.

I think the problem with the regular consumer battery powered type wifi hotspot devices that might be considered suitable for use in the car is they go into a low power state or shutoff after a period of inactivity, they're not really designed for this type of use

I'd start with checking your local telecom provider, now I doubt they'll have any idea about dash cams (unless you get lucky) but they should be able to go over the specs of whatever models they have.
Mobile hotspot devices are commonly called MiFi by carriers, so that might help your search.

I've read of people buying them cheap online - if you're doing this make sure it's compatible with whatever your frequency bands your cellular provider uses and SIM-unlocked.

Off the top of my head, maybe check out for Novatel.
They have a MiFi with a 4000mAh battery that you can try out and see if it operates well enough.
Hook it up to a basic power bank like you'd used for your cell phone if it's not lasting long enough.

Just make sure to keep it out of the sun lol

As for auto shutoff due to inactivity, in my experience - usually, they will have something to control this with the settings.
Whether on the device settings or going into the IP settings through your browser.

Just wondering if an extra 4G module will work for this camera?

I guess not many people take advantage of the cloud service on this cams..
Just in case someone else is looking for the same as I am.. this is what I’m going with.. until AT&T gets theirs back..
https://www.t-mobile.com/offers/syncup

I guess not many people take advantage of the cloud service on this cams..
Just in case someone else is looking for the same as I am.. this is what I’m going with.. until AT&T gets theirs back..
https://www.t-mobile.com/offers/syncup

Just want to point out:
The SyncUP DRIVE device goes into sleep mode when your vehicle is not in use, which conserves battery drain. However, we recommend unplugging the device if you plan to park your vehicle for several weeks at a time to help avoid battery drain.

So I dunno if that's gonna be that ideal for long-term use.
Didn't know those had a built-in hotspot though, so that's handy to know.

Just want to point out:

I called t-mobile. And supposedly it has an always on option. Mine is in the mail. Will update when I receive it

Sounds good, I'm also curious to know how all the other features work with one of those devices.
(y)

Just want to point out:

I called t-mobile. And supposedly it has an always on option. Mine is in the mail. Will update when I receive it
We're you able to get the t-mobile sync up to stay on with the car completely off?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

A better solution would be to use a cheap 4g phone and add it to your primary phone plan.

My Verizon 5Gb plan is around $60/month (includes hotspot). I have an extra unlocked phone I could add to my plan for another $20 - $40 a month. Then, I could leave it in the car when parked (with hotspot on) and take my primary phone with me.

Clever idea, using an extra device just as a hotspot. With my Verizon plan, smart phones are $40/month but tablets are only $10/month so therefore a spare iPad device as a hotspot would be even less expensive.

I thought all additional phone lines were $20 under the new plan.

I'm using the Verizon Jetpack 4G LTE. connected to a battery pack and it works great.

I'm with att. Probably the cheapest way for a mobile hotspot would be adding another line to our shared unlimited data plan. It'd be the cost of the device plus $20 per month. Throttling would begin after 15gb.

But...the blackvue cloud feature just bit me! I installed my cams last Friday and have already hit 100 views. (total new excited user here) Now I gotta wait until next freaking month?

That sucks.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Back