How about CPL filter for SG9665GC

HunkyWunky

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have just checked some footage of my test run yesterday. I am surprised with the video and also audio quality.

Just default setting:
Sharp and well-focused lens.....

White balance was not bad....

Exposure worked pretty well, even when i was driving toward the sun at the late afternoon. (And also night driving)

Audio recording was beyond my expectation.

But the only one thing I would like to share my experience is... I got quite annoying reflection on windshield.... I know it is not the camera fault..... Just to share some comments.

Do you think we will have cpl filter in the future?

Last edited:
Having the lens so close to the windscreen dont seem to do much for the reflections of the dashbord, but for installing and stealthiness it is a godsent.

Having the lens so close to the windscreen dont seem to do much for the reflections of the dashbord, but for installing and stealthiness it is a godsent.

how much reflection you get has more to do with vehicle design, windscreen angle, dashboard material and colour etc, can be anywhere from non existent to extreme depending on the vehicle

That too :D and how much the individual user is willing to tolerate.
I have been wondering if it was possible to provide a black cloth with the cameras, but then again just cloth might bee too thin and flimsy for most to have on ther dashbords.
Or a clear but not reflective pice of material to put on the windscreen for the camera to film thru, sort of the opposite to the pice of plastic provided for some aftermarked HUD systems.
But the latter might allso be hard as current systems will still need a huge pice of that plastic in front of our wide lenses.

how much reflection you get has more to do with vehicle design, windscreen angle, dashboard material and colour etc, can be anywhere from non existent to extreme depending on the vehicle
This is absolutely the case.

With my G1W-H I was seeing reflections in the video that I did not see while driving. Running the 'GC' it got even worse as the camera was both higher and closer to the glass. Has to do with the angle of reflection of whatever is on the dash.

To confirm to myself that it was not the 'GC' I took a video camera out and found a location (parking lot, car park, whatever you want to call it depending on where you are) and shot some test videos. This confirmed that the higher up and the closer to the glass the worse the reflections became.

The SG9665xx, A118, B40 wedge design is good for stealth but not so much so in this regard. It's a serious trade off between stealthiness and video quality under some circumstances.

I find that windshield reflections in dash cam footage can be annoying and have tried various remedies such as polarizers. A problem with using polarizers is the constantly changing angle of reflection as you drive around with the sun coming from different directions and the fact that it is usually best to remove the polarizer at night, which I never could seem to remember to do. Remember, a polarizer will cut down on the amount of light reaching your camera's sensor requiring an EV compensation of 1.5 to as much as 2.5.

After much experimentation I finally concluded that polarizers are not worth the trouble and that reflections are more of an annoyance than a serious problem. I cannot think of an instance where a reflection of my dashboard has ever actually prevented me from capturing on video what really needed to be captured even if it doesn't makes for the prettiest imagery. My Toyota happens to have a textured dark charcoal gray dashboard that does a great job of reducing reflections and I know some vehicles are not so good in this regard. If reflections are a real problem the very best thing to do is invest in a DashMat. This will often work much better than a polarlizer, will not require an EV compensation and in the long run will be much more convenient.

cars that reflect a lot can be seen to do that with the naked eye, we subconsciously ignore that when looking through the window, the same doesn't happen when watching the video though

Have to say I get pretty bad reflection too.

I wouldn't be surprised if all other dashcams would give you similar reflection for that scene, unless they come with a filter.

A CPL filter is great for reflections, but will cause motion blur when trying to read plate numbers off to the sides while in motion. It's a trade off.

Same car, similar time of day... with a C1W... Has some reflection sure but I wouldn't say as much.

A CPL filter is great for reflections, but will cause motion blur when trying to read plate numbers off to the sides while in motion. It's a trade off.

Yes, that's the unfortunate downside result of the EV (exposure value) compensation I was talking about.

As unpleasant as this bad reflection may be, I believe it is a good example of what I talked about in my previous post. In the event of a traffic incident in this situation all of the critical information in the video is quite visible, including plate numbers.

For convenience, I'll quote myself: "I cannot think of an instance where a reflection of my dashboard has ever actually prevented me from capturing on video what really needed to be captured even if it doesn't makes for the prettiest imagery".

Last edited:
Same car, similar time of day... with a C1W... Has some reflection sure but I wouldn't say as much.

Your C1W's screen cap definitely has less reflection, but the only real way to test it is to put both C1W and SG9665GC side-by-side and record them at the same time.

As I stated in a prior thread, this was my big annoyance, but I guess one we'll have to learn to live with. I think the angle and length of the windshield plays a big role in how much of a reflection you get along with time of day and direction youre traveling. It also doesn't help if you've used Armor All on your dash either.

Attachments

• dash.jpg
    dash.jpg
    309.9 KB · Views: 25
As many use a tinted strip to hide or disguise the camera on a plain windscreen would a polarising film in a strip across the top of the screen not work.

Back