How big capacity is the SD card you use for your dash cam?

32 gigs is enough to give me four hours of video. That’s enough for me

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

32gb in the rear, and 128gb in the front.. Rear is capped at 1080p.[emoji1303]

Single channel - 64GB, dual channel - 128GB will give you roughly 8 hours with 1080p.

As big as I can. Currently that's 512GB in my SGGCX2Pro+ and SG9663DC, both with front and rear cams. Gives me close to 40 hours of dual channel recording. I can take off on a road trip (well, before the CoVid thing) and pretty much not concern myself about overwriting anything on the card until I get back. If it's a really long road trip I always have spare cards available (and most likely on a long trip a laptop for offloading as well if necessary).

And, before you ask "Why?" the answer will be "Because I can.". :D I love taking things 'to the max'. (y)

I have a 128Gb in my a119v3 think it will give me around 9 hours of recording before it overwrites.

You want 64GB for a 1080p camera ( or for each 1080p channel in a dual system )
So for a dual 1080p camera you want at least 128GB card

And note this is at least, and also note there is limit on what size memory cards some cameras can work with.
But some actually work with 512 GB cards if you want to go that big

I still use 64GB cards for testing 1 channel cameras, and it is also cheaper to buy so my suite of different brand / model of cards to test with dont get too expensive to maintain.
BUT ! for the cameras i use and rely on for day to day use i have 128 GB cards or 256GB cards

Today you can get a nice 256GB card for less than what i paid for a good 64Gb card a few years back, today endurance cards that have warranty for use in dashcams ) have also come down a lot in price.
If your camera can work good with a endurance card ( if its fast enough / compatible ) i recommend you get a endurance card. WD purple or Sandisk high endurance are just a few of endurance cards on the market.

It is also okay to look for a cheap memory card, but always buy from a know reputable seller, there are lots of people out there selling fake cards so dont go for the dude selling the absolutely cheapest card.
Personal i use local stores, or one of the EU Amazon stores ( sold by the memory card brand there or sold by and fulfilled by Amazon )

Memory cards have a finite number of cycles it can be filled up, so simple math say a larger memory card take longer to reach that number, so in theory a larger memory card should also last longer VS a smaller card in the same camera.

Because I can

Go big or go home :)
While i do not run that big cards, i do embrace the motion of overkill in many aspects of my life.
My computer have at least 2 X the computer power i actually need, and it have 2 X more RAM than i actually need.
I also have more cameras in my car than you actually need.

I also wish i could be friends with everyone, but i just have one friend, CUZ the way i do it, the level of commitment i put into a friendship is the same i would put into a relationship or marriage with a girl.
But i am very bad at dealing with let downs on that high a level of commitment, so thats why i am still a bachelor and only have 1 friend, CUZ i am very careful with attaching that tag to anyone.
And the " all in" way i do it,,,,,, well it is damn hard to be a friend.

In other aspects i am quite modest with no need to go big at all.

I buy the largest cards I can afford :) Having many cams and not a lot of money it's a self-regulating process :ROFLMAO:

I do recommend that everyone have a spare card of some kind, and that you have a usable 32GB card on hand to do firmware updates with on fat32 only systems. Cma be the same card to do both of these.

Phil

i do embrace the motion of overkill in many aspects of my life.
If life experience has ever taught me anything it's that it's better to have something you don't need, versus needing something you don't have.

Last edited:
I bought the largest high endurance cards I could find. At the time, it was 128 GB. This gives me 9.5 hours at 4K on a A129 Pro.
All else being equal, a larger card will last longer because each cell is re-written less often. It also means I don't need to worry about pressing the "Save" button while driving.

Back