How big of a file can be saved on Mobius with super capacitor on loop immediate power off?

tacojerk

Reaction score
Country
United States
I've been reading that a super capacitor might only provide a few seconds to save the last file. For a 5 minute file on loop setting, that's about 500 mb. It could take about 10 seconds to save that file to the micro sd card. Can the super capacitor even allow this file to be saved? I was hoping to be able to save an hour long video - but that could take 2 minutes to save onto the sd card.

Anything clarification/insight would be helpful. Thanks!

I'm planning to use the mobius as a dash cam, auto power on record loop connected via usb with super capacitor.

the file gets written to memory continuously, when you power off it can end the file, save everything and shutdown in well under one second, it is typically held on for longer than needed to handle any power glitches but the capacitors are more than capable of doing what is needed

Thank you for the info. I am excited to test it out. I'm using a 128gb card in fat32. I want to be able to utilize max file size (so I could have a 5 minute drive and a 1 hour drive) saved. I've also read that loop recording might only work with 3 or 5 minute file length's......but the settings seem to allow max file with loop recording.

All I want is:

1. To record as soon as the vehicle turns on and to automatically save the recording once the vehicle is turned off, whether that is a 2 minute drive or a 1 hour drive
2. To re-write over the oldest files.

I believe loop recording, max file length, power off immediate with super capacitor on a 128gb should allow me to accomplish this - no?

that will work, personally I wouldn't use the maximum loop length as a smaller setting makes things easier from a file handling perspective if you need to share or save something on the go, the files can easily be stitched together into one file without re-encoding if you want to archive or re-edit footage later

Awesome - thank you very much for the info. I think I will try with the max file size first. I wasn't sure how easy it was to splice files.

I would rather prefer less files to hundreds of smaller files - but I will see which suites me best!

The first two or so years I used my cap-equipped Mobius with 5 minute files, never any problem. I now prefer 3 minute files as it makes it easier to find a particular incident among the normal files. You should be OK with any setting.

Phil

Well....no videos are saving on the card for me. I also have the settings set to not show the red recording light on the back but it is solid red. The yellow light is solid on the front. I have it plugged into my truck's factory USB port in the front of the dash (connected by approx. 20 feet of usb cable).

Last edited:
Explain why you came here for advice because you don't really know what to do, but refuse the advise of experts that have told you what to do for the best setup,because you think you know better, interesting!

I have tried using the settings given.
Explain why you came here for advice because you don't really know what to do, but refuse the advise of experts that have told you what to do for the best setup,because you think you know better, interesting!

I have tried using the settings given from posters here.

Any information would be appreciated - yours, however, is not.

I originally formatted my 128gb ultra Sandisk class 10 card with a 3rd party formatter to fat32. I have installed the capacitor. Settings set per jokiin. Red light on back solid, yellow light on front solid - no videos recording.

I am now using the settings explained by jokiin after using the in-camera format tool, but it doesn't seem to format. I now have my card formatted via my OS system in exFat32. Still no recording.

I will try formatting with SD Card Formatter 4.0 with a full format on the card to see if that fixes issues.

use SDformatter to format the card back to default exFAT settings, after that format it FAT32 in the camera using Msetup, don't use third party formatting tools when they're not needed, if you set the parameters incorrectly it won't work

I read on another thread that if the red light on the back is solid and yellow solid light, it's in PC mode/standby mode. Is it possible when it's plugged into my factory usb port in the vehicle it's defaulting to that setting?

I'm not sure the max file size will get you up to 1 hour. The max file size is just under 4GB, which is about enough for half an hour of 1080p video on a Mobius 1.

Well, it was definitely the vehicle's built in usb port. Using the 12v usb connector works well. Using 5 minute video length. I'm pleasantly surprised with the night-time video quality. Excited to see it during the day.

Thanks for the assistance!

Back