How can I confirm I received a model with GPS logger + Dodgy Ebay Seller sent me fake Viofo HK3

Arese

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Hi everyone,

So I purchased my A129Pro + HK3 from an Australian reseler apparently recommended by people from this forum. I also heard that some of you think that this seller is in reality VIOFO.

Seller is a1_electric_toys

Well I don't think that this is VIOFO at all.

I ordered this VIOFO HK3 from them, as you can see, it clearly says that this is a VIOFO hardwire kit and the product page picture shows the real VIOFO HK3.

This is what I received, counterfeit HK3 manufactured by TOPGEARS. And if you look closer at the below picture you will notice that this kit doesn't have a low-voltage cut-out switch like the VIOFO has.

IMG_20191022_132052.jpg

Now that I don't trust them anymore since they tried to scam me by sending me a fake/something I didn't purchase I'm wondering if I received the correct a129pro model I purchased.

I bought the A129 Pro with the GPS module. When I unboxed the cam, I didn't find any separate module in the box and if I look at the manual it shows a separate GPS module (optional) but I don't have it in my box.

How can I know for sure if my dashcam came with a GPS module ?

Thanks for your help

GPS is built into the mount and should come already mounted onto the camera.

Wouldn’t say that is a counterfeit HK3, but it’s definitely not the Viofo 3-wire kit.

There should be a sliding switch on the side to allow for various voltage cut off. The switch allows 4 different voltages for cut off. I can not see one in the photo. It is definitely not a Viofo HK3. Looks very much like a cheap copy without all the options also the case of the real HK3 looks smaller with a notched pattern around the edges. I would return it and demand my money back that's if you can.

the one on eBay is the real one, not what they sent you though, may have been a packing mistake and they've sent you the wrong one, contact them about getting the correct one, their response should let you know what the situation is

Hey everyone, thanks everyone for your messages.

I contacted the seller and requested a refund for the HK3.
He replied to my message about the GPS module and told me what you guys said but funnily enough he didn't reply to my message regarding the HK3...

Back to the GPS module, this is the unit I received. I watched unboxing videos online and it looks like my unit got the GPS module/mount
There's a USB power port built in the mount. Does that mean this is the GPS module?

IMG_20191022_214047.jpg

It certainly looks like a GPS mount.

Plug it in, if you see speed, location, correct time and a green satellite dish icon then you have GPS, even if it says "No GPS", you have GPS - take it outside.

If there is no GPS then there will be no icon and you won't even have the GPS options in the menu.

Plug it in, if you see speed, location, correct time and a green satellite dish icon then you have GPS, even if it says "No GPS", you have GPS - take it outside.

If there is no GPS then there will be no icon and you won't even have the GPS options in the menu.

Speed and satellite dish icon are on the main screen along with GPS options in the settings.
So it settles it I have the GPS module (got worried for 1s there)

Thanks for helping me confirm this.

Now I'll have to deal with the seller to refund me or send me the real VIOFO HK3

Looks like they sent you the wrong hardwire kit. They sell both versions. One isn't a counterfeit HK3, but rather a separate product from another brand.

Topgear kit : https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/292280991507
Viofo 3 Wire kit: https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/292280991493

Very surprising as when I have ordered several times in the past from them everything has been 100% spot on and packed very well. They are after all an authorised Viofo reseller - https://www.viofo.com.au/authorised-resellers/
But then again when people are involved in any process mistakes do happen.

Yes that’s the correct Viofo GPS unit - it's the same GPS mount I have on my A129 Pro. It is preinstalled on the camera and it has the USB port on the top and it removes from the unit by sliding off to the left or right depending on how you hold the camera. It will have connection pins on the back of it that interfaces with the dashcam itself that provides the GPS signal and power. You can plug the Viofo 3 wire hardwire kit into that USB port on the GPS mount unit. Forms a 'quick release' for your dashcam.

Definitely appears they sent you the wrong power kit by mistake. The correct item number is 292280991493 for the Viofo 3 wire kit. I would stress number that to them. Regardless, if you paid by PayPal you will get your money back if it’s the wrong product.

Last edited:
Back