How can I get video signals from multiple dashcams?

Noonamee

Retailer
Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi everyone. I'm planning to add one more extra dash cam with other cameras to my car but I wonder if it works. I know many members in the forum use more than one dash cam in their cars but not many use AV out to connect to the screen.

My head unit in the car can receive one video input and I wonder what happens if there're many input video signals at one time. Is there a software or device that splits the view when receiving multiple signals for Android head unit? Does RCA hub works since I only need the yellow wire?

Thanks. I appreciate that. Is it possible to view more than one camera at one time?

you'd need a multiplexer if you want to split the screen up and view multiple feeds at the same time, can't see the benefit in doing that to be honest

No its IMO a futile exercise, i had access to 4 cameras in my car with the mobile DVR connected to my 2 DIN head-unit, and it was nothing but a gimmick though the optical zoom on the front camera could be used for surveillance at a distance.
Also the wiring / amount of it additional would be a nightmare.
A reversing camera i do get, but it have to be a true reversing camera wit the features they must have, and not least location they must be installed to work optimal.

But a man goota do what a man gotta do, and as jokiin said to view several feeds at once you will need a multiplexer, but you could also get a analog DVR like i had, it can do the same as a multiplexer in regard to the visual output, and you can record those analog signals too.

Several ( 4 ) feeds on my 2 din headunit ( 7" screen ) as hard to make out what was what so i mist often just flipped thru the individual cameras.

Danish speech, but visual speak international.

No its IMO a futile exercise, i had access to 4 cameras in my car with the mobile DVR connected to my 2 DIN head-unit, and it was nothing but a gimmick though the optical zoom on the front camera could be used for surveillance at a distance.
Also the wiring / amount of it additional would be a nightmare.
A reversing camera i do get, but it have to be a true reversing camera wit the features they must have, and not least location they must be installed to work optimal.

But a man goota do what a man gotta do, and as jokiin said to view several feeds at once you will need a multiplexer, but you could also get a analog DVR like i had, it can do the same as a multiplexer in regard to the visual output, and you can record those analog signals too.

Several ( 4 ) feeds on my 2 din headunit ( 7" screen ) as hard to make out what was what so i mist often just flipped thru the individual cameras.

Danish speech, but visual speak international.

This is what I need. Thanks for your info

The DVR i used had a IR remote, that you will need to change between the cameras, and do whatever, so i had to drive with my glove box open.
Maybe newer models have a BT remote or something, but its a thing worth taking into consideration, you cant do anything from the headunit, thats basically just a monitor.
In my setup the headunit changed to the DVR AV signal as soon as it powered up, so to do anything with the headunit i manually had to change to SD card ( MP3 ) or radio / CD )

So if you want to go this route you need to google for mobile Analog DVR, there are several options or there use to be at least, mine was in the cheap and of things and it also died after 6 months in my car and 6 months or so in 24 / 7 use at home in my apartment when my DVR for my CCTV cameras died.

I've been playing with a cctv system at home, the kind that inputs up to 8 video inputs or 16 ip camera inputs. There are a couple of features it has that would be great in a dash cam system. Firstly the 1080p image quality is great, even over insanely long - yet thin - cables (30m or more.) This is using AHD, though there are 3 other input types including standard composite. Being able to use a multi terabyte hard disk is a huge bonus. Video output can be a single input, a mosaic of inputs, or cycling between inputs. Control is via USB mouse.

The base unit runs on 12V 1A so it would be feasible to run it in a car. Might need a regulator to smooth the voltage though. The only big downside is mine is a cheap one that only records at 15fps at 1080p for analogue video.

It seems strange there isn't something similar sold for cars, with discrete but decent quality cameras. Maybe the trucker systems are exactly that, but they are very expensive in comparison.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

Back