How critical is the positioning of the GPS antenna?

RichardX

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Dash Cam
SG9665GC
I'm running with a test setup at the moment, so I can move things if I need to. The antenna is on the dash/facia close to the windscreen and it's working well. It can't be right in the corner next to the A-pillar because there's a speaker there. It's about 200ml in from the A-pillar.

I'm keen to keep the area clean and I'm wondering about positioning on the windscreen (after a flip, of course). Which gives the better GPS signal pickup or doesn't it matter?

Top of the dash does work slightly better, only due to slightly better view of the sky, there's not a big difference though and it will still work fine flipped over and mounted to the window

OK. Thanks. I'm a function over form guy. The top of my dash is dark grey and I think the antenna will look like part of the car's security system (there are sensors and stuff in the middle) and I don't have to pull things apart. It might even be less conspicuous than stuck to the windscreen. I don't live in a high-crime area (Camberwell ... Kooyong electorate ... "leafy eastern suburbs"... ), but you never know.

Does anyone know if the green signal icon is an actual GPS signal strength meter, or is it more of just an on / off indicator? Thanks.

From another post here, I found the "first" connection to gps can take as long as 15 minutes. Apparently satellite positions are being determined. I often wondered why it took so long then later locked-in before I could check. Now I realize I noticed the long connection after changing placement or other fussing. The fast lock was during routine use.

Does anyone know if the green signal icon is an actual GPS signal strength meter, or is it more of just an on / off indicator? Thanks.

if the GPS is not connected it will say No GPS, if there's no signal the icon will be red, with signal it's green

Would there be any issues with placing the GPS a few inches from the dashcam, and on the black-dotted area of the windshield?

Would there be any issues with placing the GPS a few inches from the dashcam, and on the black-dotted area of the windshield?
the further apart the better, if putting in the window I generally do them top corner of the window

In order to keep things as discrete as possible I've mounted my cam and GPS module within that same area in my 2014 Accord. I have had no interference issues at all. Having said that, my GPS module is in the upper right hand corner of the dotted area, as far from the cam as I can get within that zone.

Here's a look at that area in my car. Obviously this was taken prior to my installing the GPS module but it does give you a look at the distance between the cam and where I did end up mouting the GPS. I've also moved my cam down a bit in order to install my cable cover since this pic was taken. This is a GREAT dash cam!

Passenger%20View_zpsg1hlszuv.jpg

Last edited:
In order to keep things as discrete as possible I've mounted my cam and GPS module within that same area in my 2014 Accord. I have had no interference issues at all. Having said that, my GPS module is in the upper right hand corner of the dotted area, as far from the cam as I can get within that zone.

Thanks @DougC71, that's exactly how I'm planning to place my cam and GPS!

that's plenty of space between them

I got my GPS in the vent, nice and stealth and fully visible to the sky.
I liked this idea when you originally posted it.

I have been working in test mode with the GPS antenna held in place on the dash using double sided adhesive tape. The cable isn't long enough to site the antenna on the dash under the windscreen and avoid the speaker grille that's in the corner near the A pillar in my car, so I was still in thinking mode about options for permanent placement.

I went to my Saab tuning place today (Swedish Prestige, Huntingdale, VIC) to have the CELL POWER CPUSB01 miniUSB BDP hard wire kit installed properly. It involves removing the A pillar air bag module, so I don't mess around in there :) The mechanic showed me that the antenna would fit under the passenger-side speaker grille and not interfere with the speaker. Job done! Totally stealth and no cables visible.

The mechanic showed me that the antenna would fit under the passenger-side speaker grille and not interfere with the speaker. Job done! Totally stealth and no cables visible.
Sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeett.

I have a similar setup that DougC71 described. I have a Honda CR-V and have placed the DashCam and GPS in that "dotted" area of the windshield. Have not had any issues with interference. Everything is working great.

CpfcVSY.jpg

Last edited:
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
D SG9665GC 2
C SG9665GC 41
Back