How do I hardwire this cam?

lapisia

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Hi guys,

Looking to pick up this camera for rear setup due to its attractive pricing. Just want to know how do I hardwire this camera up for always on parking mode? I notice it doesnt offer a UPC or something similar like my Itronics did. Any help would be appreciated.

thanks,

You don't need an extra UPC. The cam has already built in one. It'll turn off when the voltage drops below 11.8V ±0.3V. You can also set the shut down timer to 2/4/8/12/24/36/48 hours. In fact, I just hardwired it to my car today. I connected a car cigarette lighter female adapter to the fuse box, and plug in the cam to that adapter. Volia. Done.

So as long as it is connected to the Cigarette socket it will always be in parking mode? So I don't have to hardwire anything. It will remain "READY" to capture anything as soon as a bump happens?

I hardwired a car cigarette lighter female adapter to my car's fuse box, and plug in the cam's male cigarette lighter to that adapter.

Just make sure your cig receptacle is powered all the time. I know some newer cars the lighter plug is wired as an accessory and only on when the key is on.

I just received this camera, but have not installed it.

My cars cigarette lighter shuts off when the power shuts off. Is there a way to bypass this? I would like to use the Parking feature.

I dont know much about messing with the fuse box so detailed instructions or photos would be appreciated. :)

Beet23 said:
I just received this camera, but have not installed it.

My cars cigarette lighter shuts off when the power shuts off. Is there a way to bypass this? I would like to use the Parking feature.

I dont know much about messing with the fuse box so detailed instructions or photos would be appreciated. :)

either rewire your cigarette lighter socket to permanent power (easy job for an auto electrician) or better yet buy a female lighter socket from an auto parts store and wire that in behind the dash so you can hide all the cables away, again use an auto electrician if it's not something you're comfortable doing yourself, a guide here on a similar project that might help if you want to have a look at what's involved http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=16300

Last edited by a moderator:
That looks complicated...i thought it would be a bit easier to install. bummer :oops:

I thought it would be complicated as well, but it's not. It's about a 1 hour job using an add a circuit.
As long as you can remove some trim pieces as needed, find the right fuse to use and have the right tools it's not a big deal.
I had never done anything like it before, but it worked out great. The instructions in that link are overly complex and make it seem much harder that it really is IMHO.

lapisia said:
Hi guys,

Looking to pick up this camera for rear setup due to its attractive pricing. Just want to know how do I hardwire this camera up for always on parking mode? I notice it doesnt offer a UPC or something similar like my Itronics did. Any help would be appreciated.

thanks,

Hi.

I hope this guide can help you to connect hardwire it. You may only refer to front camera installation from this guide.

http://astrobile.com/tips_vehicle

There's listing for hardwire connection.
Dashboard Cameras (Dashcams) Installation Guide (Constant Power Cable Hardwire connection)

If you have any more question, please email me cs@astrobile.com

Regards,
Jeremy

Last edited by a moderator:
Back