How do I know if it's working?

It's difficult for manufacturers to find the right brightness balance for indicator lights on dash cams. For example, I live in a rural area where driving at night is often on back country roads in pitch black conditions with no street lights whatsoever. Several cameras I've owned have had recording indicator lights that are far too bright for those conditions. For example, one camera that had either a RED or BLUE pulsating indicator (depending on the mode you were using) was the worst of the bunch as it would literally illuminate the interior of the cabin of my truck each time it blinked. It was not only annoying, it was a serious distraction. The designers had obviously not stopped to consider low light conditions when they chose a brightness level for the LED pilot lights.

I'd rather sacrifice some brightness during the day than have overly bright flashing indicators at night. Some cameras seem to have done much better at this than others.

Last edited:
Evening,
I’d have to agree that the LED on my 512GW is very faint in daylight use, but I’m much the same as Dashmellow as I spend a lot of time on unlit rural roads, so the last thing I want is a bright LED flashing away, so it actually suits me.

Suppose not everyone can be 100% happy with every product all the time and adding the function to dim the LED to suit personal preference just adds potentially unnecessary expense and menu options?

Dashmellow, with so many cameras in one vehicle (Taco, I think), could you please post pic & specs of what you're using as always-on or on-demand monitor(s)/screen(s)? I googled for your posts in threads with the relevant keywords, but didn't see any likely-looking hits.
I'd like to set-up my 4Runner with cams front &, rear (already have BlackVue DR750S 2-CH, not yet installed); and want the smallest-possible remote-lens product for sides (mounted in bottom corners of windshield for legality, and to minimize injury risk in an accident -- as mfr'd, all the other glass is too dark).
Need recording for those four, of course.
Additionally, for navigating parking etc., planning to install grille cam to get a direct view over the 4Runner's "fat-lip" bumper; and for the same reason, a remote-lens cam (without reverse-detection) under spoiler or on rear license plate, if the BlackVue rear channel can't simultaneously show distant rear view and extremely close or low backup hazards. Don't need recording for either of those two look-down cams.

I'm thinking I could get by with a single large-ish switched-input monitor mounted just over the factory double-DIN ICE/TomTom combo, maybe even something with split-screen ability. Not interested in using smart-phone as monitor, or anything with a touch-screen -- want to be able to control everything with knobs and buttons I can feel without looking away from the road. Most of the time I'd keep it tuned to the BlackVue rear-cam, and switch to the parking cams as needed.
Thx.

Dashmellow, with so many cameras in one vehicle (Taco, I think), could you please post pic & specs of what you're using as always-on or on-demand monitor(s)/screen(s)? I googled for your posts in threads with the relevant keywords, but didn't see any likely-looking hits.
I'd like to set-up my 4Runner with cams front &, rear (already have BlackVue DR750S 2-CH, not yet installed); and want the smallest-possible remote-lens product for sides (mounted in bottom corners of windshield for legality, and to minimize injury risk in an accident -- as mfr'd, all the other glass is too dark).
Need recording for those four, of course.
Additionally, for navigating parking etc., planning to install grille cam to get a direct view over the 4Runner's "fat-lip" bumper; and for the same reason, a remote-lens cam (without reverse-detection) under spoiler or on rear license plate, if the BlackVue rear channel can't simultaneously show distant rear view and extremely close or low backup hazards. Don't need recording for either of those.

I'm thinking I could get by with a single large-ish switched-input monitor mounted just over the factory double-DIN ICE/TomTom combo, maybe even something with split-screen ability. Not interested in using smart-phone as monitor, or anything with a touch-screen -- want to be able to control everything with knobs and buttons I can feel without looking away from the road. Most of the time I'd keep it tuned to the BlackVue rear-cam, and switch to the parking cams as needed.
Thx.

This is my thing.

https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threa...-dashcam-for-your-car-doors.12675/post-310270

Yes, I had seen that post. The StreetGuardian has its own screen. But how do you (or do you even) monitor the view from the Mobiuses ("Mobiuss"? "Mobii"?) while driving?

btw, re "Houses like that are quite common here. It's New England, after all. " Where I live in CT, there are very very few Victorians left. It's a damn shame. And the only ones around here which are painted like that were built just within the last 25 years.

Yes, I had seen that post. The StreetGuardian has its own screen. But how do you (or do you even) monitor the view from the Mobiuses ("Mobiuss"? "Mobii"?) while driving?

btw, re "Houses like that are quite common here. It's New England, after all. " Where I live in CT, there are very very few Victorians left. It's a damn shame. And the only ones around here which are painted like that were built just within the last 25 years.

I use a 7 inch LCD monitor with the supplied wiring harness and an external battery bank to aim the Mobi when I first set them up but otherwise have no need to monitor the view while driving. As for knowing if they are recording properly I just keep an occasional eye on their blinking rear LED pilot lights.

Last edited:
It's difficult for manufacturers to find the right brightness balance for indicator lights on dash cams. For example, I live in a rural area where driving at night is often on back country roads in pitch black conditions with no street lights whatsoever. Several cameras I've owned have had recording indicator lights that are far too bright for those conditions. For example, one camera that had either a RED or BLUE pulsating indicator (depending on the mode you were using) was the worst of the bunch as it would literally illuminate the interior of the cabin of my truck each time it blinked. It was not only annoying, it was a serious distraction. The designers had obviously not stopped to consider low light conditions when they chose a brightness level for the LED pilot lights.

I'd rather sacrifice some brightness during the day than have overly bright flashing indicators at night. Some cameras seem to have done much better at this than others.

That sounds like an acceptable compromise. Both my car and dash cam are brand new and as yet, I have had no need to drive at night. I shall have to take it for a spin one dark, moonless night to check the dash cam recording indicator light (and also my LED headlamps). In the meantime, I shall live with an indicator light that's invisible in daytime and assume the dash cam is working.

That sounds like an acceptable compromise. Both my car and dash cam are brand new and as yet, I have had no need to drive at night. I shall have to take it for a spin one dark, moonless night to check the dash cam recording indicator light (and also my LED headlamps). In the meantime, I shall live with an indicator light that's invisible in daytime and assume the dash cam is working.

One little trick you can try (which I've used occasionally with one of the cams I've owned in the past) is to simply cup your hand over the LED to shield it from bright light and see if it is blinking before you drive away. If it shows itself to reliably start up each time after a test period you can probably have confidence that it will continue to do so.

One little trick you can try (which I've used occasionally with one of the cams I've owned in the past) is to simply cup your hand over the LED to shield it from bright light and see if it is blinking before you drive away. If it shows itself to reliably start up each time after a test period you can probably have confidence that it will continue to do so.

Good idea. Thank you.

Back