How do I lighten videos taken at night?

simpy

Reaction score
Country
United States
Kdlinks R100 dash cam. Someone keyed my car the first night that I had this on my car. The video is way took dark to see who it is. I can see their image walking up to my car and I can hear the key going the whole way around my car! Please help!

In Windows movie maker, there is a brightness option (slider bar)

Oooo :rolleyes::mad:

I cant help you with this software, but i do hope you get it to work for you and nail the bastard.
I had the same happen before the dashcam days, all along one side and a few days before i sold the car, in this case with a additional loss.

Sadly dashcams are limited in their low light performance, and why i have a IP camera with IR light aimed at my car where its parked as the back year are pitch black at night.

Kdlinks R100 dash cam. Someone keyed my car the first night that I had this on my car. The video is way took dark to see who it is. I can see their image walking up to my car and I can hear the key going the whole way around my car! Please help!

I recommend that you try the free and excellent VLC Media Player. Open the file and use the Video Effects tool that you will find in the menu options. There you can adjust the brightness, contrast, sharpness, gamma etc. You want to decrease the gamma curve by moving the slider to the right. This will be your primary tool to bring out the details hidden in the shadows. You can experiment with the brightness and contrast and they will help you as well, but again, gamma adjustment is your friend here.

VLC will not let you export the adjusted video but taking screen shots can be very helpful.

default.jpg

light.jpg

dark.jpg

Last edited:
Back