How do I update the Firmware

Corasman

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Sorry if this is "old" but now I have my "x" working again I want to play around with different firmwares, but I cannot remember how to upload new firmware to the "x".
I have a fair collection of firmwares and want to try uploading different ones ,just to "play".
Please someone remind me how to do it.

Firmwares come in a "name".bin format, so all you have to do is to put the correct firmware on the memory card, put it in the camera and then turn it on.
Most times a LED will flash fast while the upgrade go on and then after that the camera will reboot.

As the camera is on the ambrealla chipsets you have to be careful, if the update go wrong you have to do a rescue update with the camera connected to a computer, using a program called direct USB and then another firmware file type called "name".elf

I dont know where you would get firmware files, i have surprising few of them considering i was one of the testers for the Joovuu Xcam

I have tried putting a "firmware.bin" file on the root of the SD card and putting that in the "x" and pressing the M button while powering on, it then goes to a rapid blue flashing light but even after 10 minutes nothing updates,that's why I wondered if I was doing it wrong.

Got my bin files here

Last edited:
I dont recall you having to press any button just power it on, if you have to update with direct USB then you do need to press a button before the computer see the camera.

I think the joovuu youtube channel are stil there.

I have tried putting a "firmware.bin" file on the root of the SD card and putting that in the "x" and pressing the M button while powering on, it then goes to a rapid blue flashing light but even after 10 minutes nothing updates,that's why I wondered if I was doing it wrong.

Got my bin files here
Mine 'bricked' just like that when new doing the first FW update. Neither me or a computer-savvy friend could get any further even with the .elf file :( Mine is still around here somewhere so if you find a solution please let me know.

Phil

No matter what I do the phone app says the Camera FW is jv-x 160906, even though the camera goes through the motions of updating the firmware.
And I have tried three different firmwares.

I'm now trying to get direct usb to work,but what a pain, one computer I have on windows 7 will not find the ambarella drivers and one on windows 10 will not work because a .net version 2 is missing and I cannot find that on Microsoft site.
Starting to think just use the "x" and forget about other firmware's other than what is already installed.

I cannot leave this alone, but finally got my computer and the x talking together(connect usb lead to computer and x and press the front button not the M button on the x then power on)then load directusb and I am in.
The only problem is I cannot find any elf files after 2016, but at least I am getting somewhere.

Last edited:
Hi All

Has anyone by any chance got the PC software of Joovuu-x or ambarella driver please? Trying to fix my green fixed light but I can't connect with my computer :(

It would be of so much help
Thanks

Back