How do multiple (2) dash cams work? How do you save the clip?

Warren Chrol

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a front facing dashcam in my car, and want a 2nd at the rear.

How do I "save clip" on the rear camera if it's 5 feet away and I cannot possibly reach it, or are the 2 connected and pressing the button on the first one saves the clip on both?

Thanks

...How do I "save clip" on the rear camera if it's 5 feet away and I cannot possibly reach it, or are the 2 connected and pressing the button on the first one saves the clip on both?...
If your rear camera is part of a dual-cam system (SG9663DC for example) saving the front clip will also save the rear, that's the advantage of having an integrated system. If your rear cam is a stand alone single camera you're pretty much out of luck unless you have really long arms. ;)

In the second case (separate front and rear cams) you could try saving the clip on the front cam to give you a reference point for finding the corresponding clip from the rear.

Some cameras have a bluetooth remote button that you fix to your dash. That would allow you to save a clip on a camera that you cannot reach.

I had a two channel camera which functioned for over two and half years. It was nice having incidents in the same MP4 file, such clips of vehicles overtaking me on the paved shoulder and then cutting me off. In the VLC viewer, I could have two windows displayed showing incidents occur concurrently from the two cameras.

The rear camera died on the two channel system. I have kept the front camera mounted, but I have since purchased higher resolution single channel cameras for the front and back, giving me two cameras at the front and one at the back. I synchronised the time and date of my cameras and use the event button of the newest front camera. I then look at the time and date on videos from that camera to pinpoint the time I should look at clips from the rear camera. This works as long as I get to the rear camera before the clips are overwritten.

Some of the times if its an event where only the rear camera is necessary, and its not a significant event, like a distracted driver on his or her phone that is visible in the rear view mirror, I just take a mental note of the time or note where I am and look for the clip in the evening.

The dual cameras I have used save the file as xxxxxA and xxxxxB for front and back. Like others have said making a mental note and going back is the only other way to go for the most part if using two separate cameras. Also make sure the time is set right and in sync on both cameras or it can get a little confusing when you go to look.

You don't, you just take the SD card out of the camera and copy the file once you get home

That's one reason I think long retention time is important. I've forgotten until a week later I was going to save some video, and the file in that case was JUST overwritten

Back