how do these cellink neo's work??

wozzzzza

Reaction score
Country
Australia
questions i have but cant find:
1. when hard wired, does it have a constant drain on the car battery all the time to charge itself or only when the ignition is on??
2. when you have dashcam connected to it, when ignition is turned off, does 100% of the dashcam power come from the cellink neo??
3. when the celllink neo battery starts going flat, is that it? wont drain the car battery and it just shuts off what ever it is powering until the ignition is turned on and starts charging itself again??

im thinking about getting one of these finally.

Grab one of these from eBay while you can with the 10% off sitewide code for those using ebay AU.
Recently Linelink had a 20% off code and didn't price jack - great price at $280.

I have this hardwired with my Thinkware F800 Pro - works great! Very small form factor, fits under the passenger seat just fine
Getting about 30 hours rated on parking mode so far, yet to see it fall less than 60% though as I'm usually not away from my car for more than 8 hours :)
Though the manual suggests a 20AMP fuse to plug into, I've had to resolve to using a 10AMP because all the 20's were always live.. and even on high input (9 amp) so far, no issues..

questions i have but cant find:
1. when hard wired, does it have a constant drain on the car battery all the time to charge itself or only when the ignition is on??
2. when you have dashcam connected to it, when ignition is turned off, does 100% of the dashcam power come from the cellink neo??
3. when the celllink neo battery starts going flat, is that it? wont drain the car battery and it just shuts off what ever it is powering until the ignition is turned on and starts charging itself again??

The Neo must NOT be hardwired to a fuse with "continuous" NOR "constant" power supply.
The Cellink Neo must be hardwired to a "switched" fuse, that only has power when the engine is on.
In this way, the Neo will only be recharged when the engine is on, and when the Neo is flat, it cannot discharge the motor vehicle's main PbSO4 battery.

Last edited:
Using 15 amp fuse blue, hardwired, the battery current draw has been 9 A, note the BV manual states max 13 Amp draw so far not noticed it drawing that current.
Black Vue B-124 and Neo made by Egen

The Neo must NOT be hardwired to a fuse with "continuous" NOR "constant" power supply.
The Cellink Neo must be hardwired to a "switched" fuse, that only has power when the engine is on.
In this way, the Neo will only be recharged when the engine is on, and when the Neo is flat, it cannot discharge the motor vehicle's main PbSO4 battery.
Is it the same for Neo9? The Cellink Neo9 manual, I got, says to connect neo's battery+ to the car's battery+. There is a note saying that this should really be connected to the constant power and not to ACC.1547023746194926.jpg

Is it the same for Neo9? The Cellink Neo9 manual, I got, says to connect neo's battery+ to the car's battery+. There is a note saying that this should really be connected to the constant power and not to ACC.

It seems that the Neo9 has slightly different electrical connections.
Notice how the Neo9's input comes directly from the constant/continuous battery power supply?
The input gets the ground from the fuse box screw.

Notice how the Neo9's output has a special Acc In Switched power supply?

The Neo9 probably has a more advanced electronics which theoretically could directly power the dashcam from the vehicle's 12V battery when the engine is on, and only use the LiFePO4 Neo9 when the engine is off?
Because the Neo9 is a new model, there is very little information regarding the Neo9...

neo9-show.jpg

I have sucessfully installed the celling neo9 into my car.

I connected the neo's battery+ to the fusebox to the always on socket. Then I connected the neo's ACC input to the fusebox to socket which is on only when I start my car. And finally the neo's ground to car ground. So I did it exactly as the manual says.

IMG_20190119_114710350.jpg

Then I used the 3-wire neo's output (battery+, acc out and ground) to connect the hard wired kit. It works perfectly. When the car is started, the neo is being charged. When I switch the car off, the neo is not being charged. The camera is supplied all the time and it is not draining the car battery. Exactly as I want :) The bluetooth is awesome. I know what happens whenever I want. I just connect to the battery using my smartphone. I can see the voltage of the car battery, the voltage of neo, the electric current used to charge the neo from the car battery, the electric current used to supply the camera from neo. Some estimated times (remaining time to neo's fully charged state and remaining time to fully discharged state).

The most challenging for me was the installation. The neo is quite huge and lots of people install it under the seat. I thing it is not very safe to install it under driver's seat and there is not much space under the second seat in my car. So I installed it to the trunk.

IMG_20190112_170244356.jpg

All the cables are hidden under the platic trims. The whole installation tooks me almost 1 day but I am happy with the result.

Last edited:
Using 15 amp fuse blue, hardwired, the battery current draw has been 9 A, note the BV manual states max 13 Amp draw so far not noticed it drawing that current.
Black Vue B-124 and Neo made by Egen
If I connected to a 5a fuse is that ok?

If I connected to a 5a fuse is that ok?
If the wires or circuitry supplying the fuse is only capable of handling 2x it's rating so 10a, things would get warm if it is constantly ran at 9A plus whatever is on that circuit right. That is how I currently have mine connected but there is nothing using the fuse fortunately and it is rated to 15A.

The absolute safest way would be to have that fuse piggy back connected to a relay which would then connect the charger to somewhere safer like the battery via 15A inline fuse. I believe that is how the neo 9 does it as it has such a high current draw.

TLDR; I wouldn't connect it to a switched 5A rated fuse but there is a chance that it could be fine.

I bought one of these (A Neo9) and the instructions included were not as good as those posted above. I have not installed mine yet as it is going in a new car which is not here yet..
I was a bit unsure about the wiring to the fusebox - it states that 9A charging from the fuseboard takes 70 minutes. There is no mention of the fuseboard when quoting the 12A Charging time at 40 minutes.

My instructions say that if the constant power is going to be wired direct to the battery, it should use a 20 Amp fuse, but the fuse they supplied was a 40 Amp. The instructions above (thanks for the picture- didn't get one of them) state a 40 Amp fuse should be used. Elsewhere in the paper I got they recommend a 20 to 30 Amp fuse be used.

Given the specs state Input Power as 12 - 17v 15Amp MAX, I would have thought that a 40 Amp fuse would be a bit too high?

I definitely think they could do a better job of their installation guide, but maybe they have given the pictures above.

Would folks think a constant live 20 Amp circuit would be acceptable to tap this into? I will normally draw 12 Amps.

Thanks

Last edited:
I have sucessfully installed the celling neo9 into my car.

I connected the neo's battery+ to the fusebox to the always on socket. Then I connected the neo's ACC input to the fusebox to socket which is on only when I start my car. And finally the neo's ground to car ground. So I did it exactly as the manual says.

View attachment 44172

Then I used the 3-wire neo's output (battery+, acc out and ground) to connect the hard wired kit. It works perfectly. When the car is started, the neo is being charged. When I switch the car off, the neo is not being charged. The camera is supplied all the time and it is not draining the car battery. Exactly as I want :) The bluetooth is awesome. I know what happens whenever I want. I just connect to the battery using my smartphone. I can see the voltage of the car battery, the voltage of neo, the electric current used to charge the neo from the car battery, the electric current used to supply the camera from neo. Some estimated times (remaining time to neo's fully charged state and remaining time to fully discharged state).

The most challenging for me was the installation. The neo is quite huge and lots of people install it under the seat. I thing it is not very safe to install it under driver's seat and there is not much space under the second seat in my car. So I installed it to the trunk.

View attachment 44173

All the cables are hidden under the platic trims. The whole installation tooks me almost 1 day but I am happy with the result.
So much clearer than the included instructions - thank you very much for the share!

Back