How do we remove air between 3M tape and windscreen when installing a dashcam ?

thancam

Retailer
Reaction score
Country
Viet Nam
Dash Cam
too many
Do you have any good way ? Because everytime i install, i always make some air between these.

i read in manuals of 3M tape, they wrote: 3M tape only has 95% fully firmly connection after 72 hours. So if the square of 3M is low. Does it effect to connection of 3M and windcreen ?

Just start from one side and press instead of putting all squarely.

What do you mean by square is low?
Small or thin? Small would definitely be less strong.

The air bubbles generally go once out in the Sun for a while

Yes, I've noticed that air bubbles shrink with time. It's annoying when first fitted and very difficult to avoid a bubble.

Do you have any good way ? Because everytime i install, i always make some air between these.

I've been thinking about using a very sharp (modelling) knife to make a few slits across the 3M pad to see if it helps air bubbles escape. What gave me the idea is that mounts with smaller 3M pads tend to have less chance of large bubbles, so by making some slits in a larger pad it would be like several smaller pads.

Yeah you might be able to puncture the bubble with a needle or a X-acto knife to bleed the air bubble dry.

Just start from one side and press instead of putting all squarely.

What do you mean by square is low?
Small or thin? Small would definitely be less strong.
i mean small. My mistake: it's area (acreage), not square.
Starting from one side and press is a good way but very hard to adjust position of mount.

I.. am finding the air bubble is getting larger over time (or area of contact is getting smaller). Curious as to how folk are able to pierce the bubble though.. or, apply it from the side. The tape is double sided.. on the first side (typically attached to your camera mount) yes, you could pierce it.. and, apply from the edge. BUT.. when you apply it to the window.. and where you can "see" the resulting contact (the air bubble).. it is kind of a one shot deal and you "hope" the position and alignment is correct. The only option to get to the air bubble is from the window side..

I've been thinking about using a very sharp (modelling) knife to make a few slits across the 3M pad to see if it helps air bubbles escape. What gave me the idea is that mounts with smaller 3M pads tend to have less chance of large bubbles, so by making some slits in a larger pad it would be like several smaller pads.
I don't believe that this will work, I once put a cotton thread across the middle of the pad so that air could escape through the thread, but it didn't help.

I think the size of the bubble depends on the size of the pad and the curvature of the glass that it is stuck to. If you manage to apply it with almost no bubble then the bubble will grow over time, if you apply it with a large bubble then the bubble will shrink over time, the result is the same size bubble.

The way to solve the problem is to get some sandpaper and shape the mount to the same curvature as the glass, then it will be hard to get a bubble and even if you do then it will disappear over time. If you can't do that then get a knife and reduce the size of the pad by cutting off the edges until it is small enough to mount without a bubble.

I noticed that the Gitup Git2 dashcam mount comes with a pad that is already small enough to mount on almost any windscreen without a bubble, looks a bit too small but it works very well and didn't require any skill to mount without the bubble.

Back