How do you know when your SD Card is failing

Diamond Dog

Reaction score
Country
United States
How do you know when your SD Card is failing?

Do you have to constantly randomly check files and play back? I hope not

I don't review my files that often and would hate to have them fail when I really need them

If it's the same as the 550 and 750, it will keep telling you to "Check the SD card" about once every three seconds until you unplug the power.

It's the same, so expect that for the DR900S as well.

However, there have been some cases where the SD card failed but the unit did not give any prompts. Checking footage every so often would be the best indicator of your microSD card/dash cam functioning correctly or not.

any error message is only telling you once it has failed, none will tell you it's about to happen, regular inspection is a must, replacing the card before it does is also a good idea

Do you have to constantly randomly check files and play back? I hope not
Yes!

I keep all front dashcam footage. I copy from micro SD card to an external hard drive. I then use Dashcam Viewer software to check the footage on the hard drive as this ensures that not only is the footage OK but that there was no problem with the copying process. Dashcam Viewer lets you jump 1 or 10 vies and you only need to see a few seconds of each file to ensure that it's OK. I don't watch all of my footage in realtime! ;)

I check for the following:

1. Video quality
2. Audio quality
3. GPS accuracy (on the map)
4. All of the above three are synchronised

I have found in the past that if you don't regularly fully format your SD card then you can lose audio and video synch, this might indicate a problem card.

Regards,

When my DR900S is rebooting by itself while driving without any apparent reason, its usually an indication that memory card should be formatted or replaced. Formatting usually works until it starts rebooting again in few months time, however I've recently swapped Samsung Evo Plus to Pro Endurance model.

Wysłane z mojego GM1903 przy użyciu Tapatalka

Back