How do you save videos?

Zammo76

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
So I wanted to save a video today and went into Virb and used the share function to send the video to my phone. I selected 2 minutes at the end of a 27 minute video and transferred it to my phone. When I checked it, the first 2 minutes of the video had been transferred, I tired again and again it did the same thing. I then tried to transfer the whole video but gave up as it would have taken over 70 minutes. I then thought I'd transfer it on my PC when I got home and was contemplating switching off the dashcam for the drive home in case it overwrote the footage, but decided against this in case anything happened on the drive home. Then once I went to transfer the footage the dashcam had predictably overwrote the incident. Not exactly very helpful!

My question is how can I save a video to stop the dashcam doing this?

Also how can I update the firmware on my cam as hopefully its added a few more features in the latest firmware.

Thanks.

You can say OK Garmin Save Video during the drive and you don't want to lose what just happened. Will be saved in the Saved Videos folder. Haven't played with the Virb app , will have a look at it. Have a spare SD card in the car if you're worried about overwriting. My use is currently normal commuting, so I have enough time to manually copy video if I need to

Update firmware by installing Garmin Express and connecting the camera or SD card (via an SD card adapter if your PC doesn't have a slot) . Also have a look at this thread

/Update : Virb app seems to treat all the recording from switch on to swith off as a single video, so that won't work for you. Should you copy it to PC , use something like RegistratorViewer (make sure it's version 6.0.0.22c) to work with it

Last edited:
You can say OK Garmin Save Video during the drive and you don't want to lose what just happened. Will be saved in the Saved Videos folder. Haven't played with the Virb app , will have a look at it. Have a spare SD card in the car if you're worried about overwriting. My use is currently normal commuting, so I have enough time to manually copy video if I need to

Update firmware by installing Garmin Express and connecting the camera or SD card (via an SD card adapter if your PC doesn't have a slot) . Also have a look at this thread
You can also depress the lower button on the camera for a few seconds (until it bleeps) after the event and that saves the video clip and puts it in the saved video folder.

You can also depress the lower button on the camera for a few seconds (until it bleeps) after the event and that saves the video clip and puts it in the saved video folder.
True... but I like to keep my hands on the wheel while driving :) Pressing buttons also have the risk of moving the camera

Hi thanks for the suggestions.

Funnily enough I did the pressing of the lower button a while a go when some guy breaked really harshly in front of me (think he was trying to get me to hit him for an insurance scam) but luckily my quick reactions and possibly my car's auto breaking kicked it. Anyhow I pressed the bottom button and when I got to work checked the footage. It had saved just after the incident then very bizarrely all of the unsaved footage was of my commute several minutes after the incident. So the actual incident and the start of my journey had been wiped out. So basically another Garmin fail. Usually the whole of my commute is recorded so I've no idea why it did this?

I like the idea of having a second SD card though as that way you can be sure the temperamental software won't overwrite what you want to keep. Btw I tweeted Garmin my question and they didn't bother responding, not exactly good customer service!

I'll give the firmware update a try thanks!

Hi thanks for the suggestions.

Funnily enough I did the pressing of the lower button a while a go when some guy breaked really harshly in front of me (think he was trying to get me to hit him for an insurance scam) but luckily my quick reactions and possibly my car's auto breaking kicked it. Anyhow I pressed the bottom button and when I got to work checked the footage. It had saved just after the incident then very bizarrely all of the unsaved footage was of my commute several minutes after the incident. So the actual incident and the start of my journey had been wiped out. So basically another Garmin fail. Usually the whole of my commute is recorded so I've no idea why it did this?

I like the idea of having a second SD card though as that way you can be sure the temperamental software won't overwrite what you want to keep. Btw I tweeted Garmin my question and they didn't bother responding, not exactly good customer service!

I'll give the firmware update a try thanks!
Remember the clips are recorded in 1 minute intervals. Maybe a timing issue ? Will play a bit with both the voice command and the manual button to see if there is a difference. It also moves the saved clips to the saved folder, which is maybe why you missed it ?

Could be but I wouldn't have expected pressing the lower button to wipe everything that had been recorded since the saved portion of the journey. It was almost as if pressing it gave a message to the Garmin that the footage before hand was now no longer needed and so it wiped it.

But I'm running probably very early firmware so hopefully once I update it'll be more stable.

BTW the Virb app is meant to allow you to select a portion of the video and then download this to your phone, but for some reason when I was selecting a 2 minute portion it'd select the beginning two minutes of the video rather than the bit I wanted.

Last edited:
Just updated the firmware and tried selecting a 30 second portion of a video with the Virb app and downloading it to my phone. This time it actually selected and downloaded the right section! So looks like the firmware update fixed it!

Back