How does 1-ch dashcam's parking mode work?

ScottinLA

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello, first time to being here and to have dashcam setup.

I first thought buying F770 front&rear dashcams and install it via cellink, which would cost me fortune.
Then, I have heard here that you could actually install two 1-ch dashcams via portable powerbank.
It would be much cheaper, actual images would be better and installation seemed much easier as well.

I'm thinking buying 2 portable powerbanks (Poweradd 30,000mAh ones or RAVPower 22,000mAh ones) and switching them out everyday.
So, one can be connected to two 1-ch dashcams in the vehicle while the other one is getting recharged.

Candidates are so far Viofo A119, Goluk T3, Blackvue DR450-1ch, Thinkware F100-1ch, etc.

My questions are...

1. I belive all the candidates offer pakring mode feature, but do they automatically turn on when the vehicle is off?

I thought parking mode requires dashcams to be hardwired to either fusebox or battery pack, or in this case "powerbank."
If the dashcams are directly connected to fusebox, or indirectly connected to battery pack, I would assume they would recognize the vehicle is off and automatically turn on the parking mode.
But, if I decided to use powerbank as a power-supplier, how would they recognize when to turn on the parking mode or when to turn on the regular mode?

2. Do all the candidates above alert you in the very next morning if something happens during the nighttime?

3. I believe A119 and T3 comes with USB cable, but DR450 and F100 comes with 12v cigarette adapter.
For the latter two, do I need some kind of adapter to use powerbank?

Please advise and thank you in advance.

most people that use power banks are not using parking mode as such, they're just running the cameras while parked without relying on the vehicle battery so effectively most cameras could be run this way

for the Blackvue and Thinkware you'd need power banks with a 12v output option, aside from that being more expensive the cameras themselves are not ideally suited for this type of usage scenario, if one of your reasons for wanting single cameras was better quality video then you'd likely be disappointed with either of these cameras so you might want to look into that also before spending money

most people that use power banks are not using parking mode as such, they're just running the cameras while parked without relying on the vehicle battery so effectively most cameras could be run this way

for the Blackvue and Thinkware you'd need power banks with a 12v output option, aside from that being more expensive the cameras themselves are not ideally suited for this type of usage scenario, if one of your reasons for wanting single cameras was better quality video then you'd likely be disappointed with either of these cameras so you might want to look into that also before spending money

Thank you for the reply.

I saw some posts saying that they just leave their camera on even though the vehicle is parked.
If this is the case, then how would they know if something happend to their car while parked during the night?
Do they manually check dash cams every day to see if there were any accident or motion detection last night?

Do they manually check dash cams every day to see if there were any accident or motion detection last night?

I think rather than trying to look through hours of video you'd be more likely to just look at the car, if you don't see anything wrong with the car then there's no point looking through video

I think rather than trying to look through hours of video you'd be more likely to just look at the car, if you don't see anything wrong with the car then there's no point looking through video

Never thought of that.
Not as fancy as I thought, but that would work :D

Yeah the manual always record while parked have a drawback, and that is you better spot something is wrong with your car before that recording get overwritten, and i dont know about you guys but its not often i see the passenger side of my car.
And if you do catch on, then you have to sit and watch in 1:1 speed thru god know how many hours your car was parked, but off course if the bill to fix it is high enough that might still be time well spent.

I think bar testing obligations just record is what i would do if i felt a need to have "parking guard" on at a place where i park, but it is rare though i had my car since it was new and i paid a unholy prize for that little Suzuki due to our high taxes, then when it all come down to it, what i care most about is that it go wroooom when i turn the key, how it look and if it have a dent or 8 in the side are less of a problem for me personally.

But as jokiin point out, no need going over footage with nothing in it, just like no need to save all your data cuz really the most of it are just uneventful driving so no need to save it.

Back