How does IR camera of a dash cam be used to see surroundings in the night?

alexsoll

Retailer
Reaction score
Country
Belarus
Dash Cam
Street Guardian, BlackVue, Thinkware

How does IR camera of a dash cam be used to see surroundings in the night?​

20211015103937_EFdyvdgET901tlu23WJiDNmyocANb5.png

In concurrent era, technologies are everywhere and there is some technology that people already know yet so little about. Infrared light is an example. Many have already seen infrared light being applied, such as CCTV camera that glows around the lens is Infrared LEDs. but CCTV isn’t the only one but also “dash cam”. Let’s dig in deeper on how it works in dash cam, how they are applied in dash cam and what types of products GNET offers.
Google defines infrared lights as electromagnetic radiation (EMR) with wavelengths longer than those of visible light. Let’s simplify this. Where there is heat there is infrared. But we just can’t see them. So, how IR cameras’ night vision work? IR camera has red LED bulbs that can transmit infrared. Therefore, it shows brighter and clearer images in the night.
Some dash cam provides interior/rear camera with IR LED. Especially, interior camera IR is very practical as it shows inner view of a car. Providing important evidence when something happens. For Taxies and buses, interior cameras are important as it records actions inside of the car.

1.png

2.png
3.png

IR illumination at the cam inside of a car will reflect off the glass, almost eliminating the outside view. It does help with the view inside the car. This is something to be aware of if you are using parking mode at night and wanting the interior cam to 'see' outside the car.

Phil

As IR illumination is invisible, to the naked eye, is it dangerous at all? I presume that wavelength, power rating, exposure time, and distance from the source all have an impact. If an IR source/camera is mounted next to the rearview mirror of your car (i.e. a few inches from the driver's face would that be a problem?

I ask this question from a dashcam point of view as well as I've been thinking of adding a used GoPro to my collection, which I can modify by changing the standard lens with an IR full spectrum lens and adding an external IR illuminator.

Regards,

Just like any power source, if it is strong you do not want to look into it for long, the problem with IR is you dont know it is there or how strong it is.

Removing the IR filter on any camera will just give you magenta colored footage, which you could then turn B&W in post ( if the camera dont have that option )
CCTV cameras at night dont just turn on the IR light and disengage the IR cur filter, they also change to B&W mode

This is a dashcam without the IR filter aided by IR light.

argh could be it is private and not unlisted i did that in the old days,,,,, will have al ook

Changed to unlisted, might need a wile for googles old shi,,,,, stuff to catch up

Hi Kamkar,

Many thanks for that YouTube video. From a dashcam point of view, I guess that you'd position the IR illuminator at the driver/passengers BUT not so that it's directly pointing at the eyes so you rely on a spread of illumination.

As for the GoPro, magenta coloured footage is acceptable but as you say in the post you can tun it to B&W or even green. Interesting to see that the street lights come across as coloured so I presume that the dashcam had an IR full spectrum lens. Until I get to modify a GoPro I won't know but I'm hoping that (at least in post) I can film in daylight and with the use of an IR illuminator film in darkness, for use in dark houses or tunnels or even say roller coasters where it moves from light (illuminated) and dark areas.

Regards,

Yes the IR light was a rather powerful 7W one too.
You can still make stuff out in the video of course, but not something you would like to watch for long.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
S GNET 2
Back