How does parking mode get activated?

ScottinLA

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello,

I'd like to know how parking mode get activated in A119.

Since it has GPS and g-sensor, does it automatically get activated when vehicle don't move for a certain period of time? (Like Blackvue?)
Or is it manually operated when I push a certain button?

And if I use parking mode with motion detection, does it offer pre-buffered parking mode when motion gets detected?
Please advise and thank you!

Hello,

I'd like to know how parking mode get activated in A119.

Since it has GPS and g-sensor, does it automatically get activated when vehicle don't move for a certain period of time? (Like Blackvue?)
Or is it manually operated when I push a certain button?

And if I use parking mode with motion detection, does it offer pre-buffered parking mode when motion gets detected?
Please advise and thank you!
Enable Parking Mode by finding the "Parking Mode" menu setting and making a selection other than "OFF". Your selection choices are given in terms the frames per second (fps) for the Time-lapse recording sub-mode. As long as the camera remains powered, the camera autonomously activates a Standby sub-mode (not recording) after 90 seconds of sensing no Camera movement (by the G-Sensor) and sensing no motion in the camera field of view (FOV) (by motion detection). Once in Standby mode, if motion is sensed in the camera FOV, the camera switches to Time-lapse recording. {Edited: Then, if no camera movement or motion in the camera FOV is sensed for another 90 seconds, it switches back to Standby mode.} From Standby or Time-lapse recording, if camera movement is sensed by a very sensitive G-Sensor, the camera will switch back to Normal recording, i.e., recording at the resolution/fps set in the Resolution menu setting. To re-enter Standby/Time-lapse recording, the cycle must repeat.

Parking mode does not use GPS as a sensor. But I consider GPS essential, if for no other reason, to automatically keep the Date/Time up to date.

Parking mode, once enabled, operates autonomously, i.e., without operator intervention, driving or parked, so long as the camera is powered. {Edit: There are no buttons dedicated to enable or disable Parking Mode.}

{Edit: The A119/A119S Parking Mode does not use pre-buffered video recording.}

See the reference given by @CaptureYourAction for more information and pros and cons.

Last edited:
Enable Parking Mode by finding the "Parking Mode" menu setting and making a selection other than "OFF". Your selection choices are given in terms the frames per second (fps) for the Time-lapse recording sub-mode. As long as the camera remains powered, the camera autonomously activates a Standby sub-mode (not recording) after 90 seconds of sensing no Camera movement (by the G-Sensor) and sensing no motion in the camera field of view (FOV) (by motion detection). Once in Standby mode, if motion is sensed in the camera FOV, the camera switches to Time-lapse recording. {Edited: Then, if no camera movement or motion in the camera FOV is sensed for another 90 seconds, it switches back to Standby mode.} From Standby or Time-lapse recording, if camera movement is sensed by a very sensitive G-Sensor, the camera will switch back to Normal recording, i.e., recording at the resolution/fps set in the Resolution menu setting. To re-enter Standby/Time-lapse recording, the cycle must repeat.

Parking mode does not use GPS as a sensor. But I consider GPS essential, if for no other reason, to automatically keep the Date/Time up to date.

Parking mode, once enabled, operates autonomously, i.e., without operator intervention, driving or parked, so long as the camera is powered. {Edit: There are no buttons dedicated to enable or disable Parking Mode.}

See the reference given by @CaptureYourAction for more information and pros and cons.

Thank u very much!
That answered all my questions!

I thought more about it.
Maybe not using parking mode and rather using normal mode all the time might be better?
it won't tell if there was anything happened last night.
But, if anything actually happened, then files would've been saved and locked in event folder i guess?

So just checking the event folder kinda gives u an idea for the previous parking.

Am i right or does it sound weird?

I thought more about it.
Maybe not using parking mode and rather using normal mode all the time might be better?
it won't tell if there was anything happened last night.
But, if anything actually happened, then files would've been saved and locked in event folder i guess?

So just checking the event folder kinda gives u an idea for the previous parking.

Am i right or does it sound weird?
Not weird, some folks prefer to just leave Parking Mode off and record normally all of the time. It is one of several options for recording while parked. The main purpose of Parking Mode is to conserve file storage space during quite periods without the need for operator intervention. But without pre-buffered video recording there could be instantaneous events that occur in Standby mode (not recording) that are missed even though they may trigger the camera to record the aftermath. Also there are short 2-3 second gaps in recording when the camera switches from Time-lapse to Normal recording. But if recording normally for extended periods like overnight, you have to worry about exceeding the capacity of your microSD card. In any case you have to worry about powering the camera while the car is not running.

As far as G-Sensor activated event recordings (locking files), Normal recording will lock files in accordance with the G-sensor menu setting (High, Middle, or Low Sensitivity) in the same manner as when driving. G-sensor activated event recordings are also active in Parking Mode in the same manner with the following exception: While Standby/Time-lapse recording sub-modes are engaged, the camera automatically switches the G-sensor menu setting to "High Sensitivity", even if the original User setting was "OFF". This may increase the chances of an event recording if the car is bumped. The camera will usually switch from Standby/Time-lapse to Normal recording if camera movement is sensed even when it's not enough to generate an event recording. The camera automatically switches back to the original User setting usually within a couple of minutes or so (not sure of exact timing) of resuming Normal recording.

not just storage space. wear on the SD card is something you should consider.

SD cards can only be written to a certain number of times before they fail. using parking mode makes it so that it isn't writing nearly as much data to the card, so it makes the card last longer.

personally i use a low framerate on my cameras (5fps i think) for parking mode - it's good enough for me.

Here is a list of several A119 and A119S options for recording while parked currently available in the current firmware, with a few pros and cons:
  1. Normal Recording. Pros: Records all in the camera field-of-view (FOV) at User set resolution/fps autonomously, driving or parked. Cons: Does not conserve file storage space perhaps requiring a high capacity microSD card and/or limiting recording time. May wear out microSD card quicker.
  2. Parking Mode (menu setting). Pros: Records autonomously, driving or parked. Uses G-sensor and motion detection sensors to determine which of three recording modes to engage - Normal recording, not recording, or Time-lapse recording to conserve file storage space. Switches G-sensor menu setting to "High Sensitivity" while in Standby/Time-lapse recording sub-modes. Cons: No pre-buffered video recording, meaning that instantaneous events occurring in Standby when not recording could be missed, although the aftermath would likely be recorded. Also there are short 2-3 second recording gaps when switching recording modes.
  3. Time-Lapse Recording (menu setting). Pros: Saves file storage space by recording Time-Lapse Recording mode continuously. Cons: Not autonomous, i.e., operator is required to turn on and off by menu setting.
  4. Motion Detection Recording (menu setting). Pros: Saves file storage space by not recording if no motion is sensed in the camera field of view (FOV) for 60 seconds, otherwise records normally. Cons: Not autonomous, and no pre-buffered recording means instantaneous events might be missed while the camera is not recording although any aftermath would be usually be recorded.
  5. Motion Detection and Time-Lapse Recording (menu settings). Pros and cons: Same as #4 Motion Detection Recording except when motion in the FOV is sensed, the camera records in Time-Lapse instead of Normal recording mode. Should conserve even more file storage space than #4.
Power must be supplied to the camera operating in any mode and consequently is of concern when the car is parked.

Last edited:
A low frame-rate or parking mode helps, but overall it's not a lot of money lost by full-time recording instead. I have one 64GB card which is over 3 years old and a couple more a year younger. All still test 100% and have never failed and all see 24/7 recording. The oldest card has gone at least twice as long as it's advertised as handling. Even with today's inflated card prices, that's around $12 a year/$1 dollar a month. So given this I think it is smarter to look only at getting what you want from your cams- it's a bargain any way you go about it :cool:

Phil

Hello
I have A119 v2 fw. 3.4 and Parking mode activated.
Can somebody confirm that after Normal Recording ,when 90seconds period will pass ,camera will not switch to Time-lapse mode if it keeps detecting Movement in FOV ?
Instead, it will keep recording in Normal mode.
In other words:
Car drives [G-sens&FOV detected] = Normal Recording ,
t=0-90s => Car parked [G-sens NOT detected,FOV detected] =Normal Recording ,then
t > 90s => Car parked [G-sens NOT detected,FOV still detected] = still Normal Recording ... [instead of expected "forced" Time-lapse recording]

Can somebody confirm that after Normal Recording ,when 90seconds period will pass ,camera will not switch to Time-lapse mode if it keeps detecting Movement in FOV ?
Instead, it will keep recording in Normal mode.
True.
Car drives [G-sens&FOV detected] = Normal Recording
True, as long as either trigger sensed within the last 90 seconds. Possible but not likely for camera to switch to Standby/Time-lapse while driving.
t=0-90s => Car parked [G-sens NOT detected,FOV detected] =Normal Recording
True.
t > 90s => Car parked [G-sens NOT detected,FOV still detected] = still Normal Recording ... [instead of expected "forced" Time-lapse recording]
True.

Actually the last two items have the same result. Camera does not switch directly from Normal Recording to Time-lapse. The camera switches to Standby (not recording) after sensing no camera movement (by G-sensor) and sensing no motion in the FOV (by motion detection), for 90 seconds, i.e., "and" means both conditions must be true for 90 seconds to switch to Standby. After that, the camera can switch to Time-lapse recording whenever it senses motion in the FOV. While in Standby or Time-lapse recording, if camera movement is sensed by G-sensor, it switches back to Normal recording. To go back to Time-lapse, the Normal-Standby-Timelapse cycle must repeat.

Thank You for confirmation.
At the beginning, when it didn't switched to Time-Lapse recording and filled out
SD card "with other cars moving on busy street", i thought "it must have been wind" ...
But after some test at home and now your confirmation it's clear where lays the problem.
In places where i usually park FOV is almost never quiet. It's busy enough to not
let go into Stand-by mode even for a moment. Because of that - rest (Time-lapse) -is never achived, and camera is in permanent Normal mode.
Sometimes i'm in luck , and it eventually switches to Time-lapse , but it's lottery.

Anyway, i filled-out ticket on Viofo support site, will see if that brings anything.

Is there a way to tell by looking at the camera if it has indeed entered into parking mode? I have enabled parking mode to 5fps in the menu and have my car parked in the garage with nothing moving and even after 1 hour when i come back and look at the camera without bumping the car at all or touching it or going in its view, the red light on the "rec" button is still solid red, does this indicate that the camera is not actually entering into parking mode and just staying in normal recording mode? model is a A119 non gps v3.4 on constant power. cheers

Hi Tabs123
Is there a way to tell by looking at the camera if it has indeed entered into parking mode?
no see post#17
when i come back and look at the camera without bumping the car at all or touching it or going in its view, the red light on the "rec" button is still solid red, does this indicate that the camera is not actually entering into parking mode and just staying in normal recording mode?
Solid Rec just means that camera records but you can't tell is it Normal Record or Time lapse (Parking mode). Best way to check, is to look what was actually recorded on SD-card. Files with letter "P" before ".MP4" indicates Parking mode.
You need to be very careful with FOV(motion detection). Damn thing can sens change in view just from a shadow.. (Maybe you switched lights on just before look at a camera or moved yourself between source of light and place where camera looks)

Last edited:
I got this camera on table. By definition provided here in this thread i can tell that when Parking mode is set in menu, following LED states can be observed:
1)Normal record: only REC is solid
2)Stand-by : only Power (green) is solid
3)Time lapse : only REC is solid ("P.mp4" records)
so just by looking at camera it's hard to tell if it records because of "1)" or "3)".
It's possible to "estimate" in what state it works with ~95% probability by observing in "quiet"(forcing certain bahaviour) all states 1-2-3 for a period of couple of minutes.But in what sub-mode camera actually was - only SD-card can tell later.

It is possible to tell what recording mode (Normal, Standby, or Time-lapse) the camera is in while Parking Mode is enabled by turning screensaver OFF and observing the LCD screen. This is OK for testing the Parking Mode function, but not too useful for practical application because folks don't want to leave the screen on all the time while parked. Otherwise, with screensaver ON (LCD OFF), the actions of getting into the car and using buttons to activate the screen to check the status are usually sufficient to cause a camera in Standby or Time-lapse recording to switch to Normal recording before the status can be reviewed.

Here is what you should see with screensaver OFF (LCD ON):
  • Normal Recording................................REC button red light ON steady, LCD ON with the Parking Mode "Car" icon displayed below-left of the LCD blinking red record dot.
  • Standby Mode (not recording).......REC button red light OFF, Power button green light ON steady, LCD OFF.
  • Time-lapse Recording........................REC button red light ON steady, LCD ON with xFPS replacing the Parking Mode "Car" icon below-left of the LCD blinking red record dot, where xFPS is the time-lapse fps setting selected in the Parking Mode menu setting.

Last edited:
it's working ,thx , completely forgot about screensaver :)

Does this mean we should leave it in normal recording all the time to get pre-buffered recording? I had no idea 119 V2 did not have pre-buffered parking mode.

Back