How does the VIOFO hardwire kit communicate that the car is parked?

mentadent

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dash Cam
VIOFO A229
How does the VIOFO hardwire kit communicate that the car is parked?

not sure what bit you don't understand, hardwire kit is connected to B+, ACC and ground, the USB output has two power feeds and ground, when ACC is switched off when you turn the car off one of the power feeds on the USB output is switched off, that power feed is used as a signal to indicate if the camera should be in parking mode or driving mode

It is not a "smart" bit of kit thats for sure, but it dont have to be, at least not unless you want to pile on more things for the dashcam to do.

Lame OK thanks
I don't understand what's lame about it, it's logical to pass the ACC on/off state from the car to the camera to indicate car is running and camera should be on, or car is off and it should go into parking mode

The hardwire kit has 3 wires.

One goes to earth
One goes to permanent power

Now the bit you need to understand ......... the third wire goes to a terminal that is live when you turn on the ignition and dead when you turn it off.

Just like a light switch, turn it on, turn it off, but in this case it's your ignition key.

I don't understand what's lame about it, it's logical to pass the ACC on/off state from the car to the camera to indicate car is running and camera should be on, or car is off and it should go into parking mode
It is a little more complicated, since it has timers to cover loss of acc while cranking etc., but always best to keep things as simple as possible, which is what it does, so a good design :)

It is a little more complicated, since it has timers to cover loss of acc while cranking etc., but always best to keep things as simple as possible, which is what it does, so a good design :)
Yeah it's not just a pass through, was just describing the basics of what's happening, to say it's lame is a great misunderstanding of what's involved

I was lame 10 minutes ago, when i tried to get up from the office chair, having had one leg folded up under me, so that leg did not work before some blood got back into it.
Worked like a charm, managed to get 2.5 floors down to put over the first of several machines full of clothe to be washed, and get back up to my apartment & computer, and here i am, sitting on my left leg again

I'm more interested in how the power is communicated over the USB part. I guess using a USB power bank, the parking mode will never get detected, boo.

I'm more interested in how the power is communicated over the USB part. I guess using a USB power bank, the parking mode will never get detected, boo.
If you are using a standard USB powerbank then the camera will instead use the GPS to detect when parked, means it doesn't react instantly to you starting the engine, but it still works OK on most Viofo cameras.

Back