How does this work then?

sludgeguts

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dash Cam
Mobius x3, G1W held as spare.
If these idiots know that drivers would rather kill them & pay a token gesture fine rather than ongoing medical bills, why are they trying it on?
What about providing "some compensation to the family"? What if that compensation has to be way bigger than the medical bill?

This is a very inflammatory, anti-Chinense article that paints an entire country's drivers as evil and sub-human. While I'm sure there may be some truth to the claim, keep in mind that there is a very deliberate effort underway to steer the west's public opinion against China and Russia. This article reeks of such propaganda.

Some of the Asian countries have some procedures in stuff like this that seem pretty bizarre to western people. :)
It's a combination of payoffs, and, sometimes public acts of contrition, tfhat bypasses or influences the criminal and civil court stuff.

In Thailand, a minor actress just 'settled' with the family of a cop she ran over and killed while drunk driving. (Not legally proven, since she avoided being tested)
The whole thing has been followed in the media, including her becoming a Buddhist Nun for a few days to atone. I think the family finally settled for the equivalent of $200,000 (US)

I like China. The thing about better off killing somebody in an accident is like what we say in the US about shooting a burglar breaking into your house.
'Make sure he falls into the house, or drag the body in.'

I have lived in one of those SE Asian countries in my previous life and now I think it's a jungle rule there in transportation.
Here are two I dealt with closely.
One of my friends' brother/wife/kid were riding a motorcycle.
A local passenger bus hit them and they were knocked down on the road.
It wasn't high speed as the buses travel very sluggish in heavy traffic areas.
The bus backed up and ran over them. Kid survived as another pedestrian picked the kid before bus could run over.
Another incident, two college students riding a motorbike hit a stopped bus that was loading passengers.
The passenger of the bike fell down, not hurt and was trying to stand up but the bus backed on him and killed him. The biker (driver) ran out of the way before bus could run him over as well. College students closed the city for few days in protest but dead is dead.
In both incidents like thousands others, driver fled the scene leaving the bus there.
In few incidents, angry people burn the bus but it doesn't even belong to the driver.
Yes, it'd be murder here but here's how it works there.

Public
bus/trucks/taxis etc... have union.
They all pay the union monthly fee.
When an accident like that happens, there are two levels of compensation:
Death: Around $500 to $2000 USD (was even less before) per person.
Injured: Need to pay for treatment.
Since union pays for the dead, drivers prefer the victims to die rather than injured as treatment may take months/years and driver personally has to keep on paying certain portion to the union or to the victims.

Private drivers go by law.
Even if someone deliberately hits someone, it's still an accident.
Compensation for dead or treat injured.
Since auto insurance is still non-existent, it's all from their personal bank accounts.

So when you are in SE Asian countries and got hit, it's in your best interest to get up and run away or at least get up to the curb or something. :eek:
It's whole another world there, I guess that's why it's called third world.

I just struggle to see how any human can willfully kill another person simply to avoid the financial implications of their own error. It's one thing to shoot/kill a burglar in your home - they're there to steal things from you, hurt you, or kill you. But for a driver to logically reason away murdering someone - extinguishing their life - over what may be a benign fender bender? Seems incomprehensible - unless there's embellishment to the story, or the Chinese drivers are immoral, unconscionable beasts. If the latter, I would attribute that to nothing short of the mentality we saw in WWII Germany. That seems so unfathomable, that I prefer to consider this propaganda designed to foment distrust and hatred towards the Chinese.

I just struggle to see how any human can willfully kill another person simply to avoid the financial implications of their own error. It's one thing to shoot/kill a burglar in your home - they're there to steal things from you, hurt you, or kill you. But for a driver to logically reason away murdering someone - extinguishing their life - over what may be a benign fender bender? Seems incomprehensible - unless there's embellishment to the story, or the Chinese drivers are immoral, unconscionable beasts. If the latter, I would attribute that to nothing short of the mentality we saw in WWII Germany. That seems so unfathomable, that I prefer to consider this propaganda designed to foment distrust and hatred towards the Chinese.
It's all because of bad law.
I don't remember even a single driver charged with murder whether it's a genuine accident or deliberately ran over multiple times.
I remember few attempts to change law that has mandatory minimum 2 years to 10 years jail time for deliberate killing but all public transportation stopped as drivers protested and it never happened.
Bad politics, bad law --> people suffer.

There are few incidents where people beat the crap out of driver or even kill and in some cases, even the passenger of the vehicle causing accident get beaten. That's why drivers immediately flee after accident.
I know of one incident where the driver was almost killed.
A 13 year old boy riding a bicycle got hit and bus driver backed and then drove forward to kill him even though their relatives were screaming not to.
The relatives grabbed the driver immediately and beat him till he was dead (or they thought so).
Nothing will change until the law is strong.

Well, if anything, it goes to show that even without 'evil' guns, people still find ways to kill each other over stupid things.

You cannot judge another culture until you understand it- all you can do is compare parts of it to what you know where you are (or have been to). It is only when all people are held to be directly responsible for their actions that we will solve the problem.

Phil

This is a very inflammatory, anti-Chinense article that paints an entire country's drivers as evil and sub-human. While I'm sure there may be some truth to the claim, keep in mind that there is a very deliberate effort underway to steer the west's public opinion against China and Russia. This article reeks of such propaganda.

I think someone has found one or two instances maybe where this was assumed to be the reason behind what happened and have turned it into a story, I spend a lot of time in China and don't believe this to be true, the website it came from is not exactly a credible news source

Money talks in countries that "Sunny" refers to. Corruption in all levels is normal. Police at accident scene can report who's at fault by how much the each party offers. It's a different world from us here.

Maybe it's because I have a 2.5 year old and a 9mo old, but watching that little girl flop around like that for what seemed like eternity, while NO ONE even stopped to render aid, breaks my heart. I can't imagine what I would go through knowing my boy was hurt lying in the street an no one helps. Ugh. I'm going to have nightmares tonight.

BTW, read some of the comments at the YT video for the girl that was killed.

Chinese are immoral. Their government is the same. Just consider the student uprising in 1989 and now in Hong Kong. they have no respect for life!

THIS is what I'm talking about with media (social or mainstream) having such a strong influence on how we (westerners) view others in the world. Enough videos like this, and most Americans start thinking of the Chinese as sub-human monsters without souls. Exactly how our government wants us to think. It makes it easier to justify aggression against China. It's so predictable.

Sorry, that incident, and I think it was in Guangzhou, raised a pretty big stink when it happened. :(

The horrific stuff like this in China is probably pretty isolated, and maybe exaggerated, but there is a nasty thread of truth the gory stories stem from.

what the heck? A lot of asians think all Americans are all on drugs, rich, and walk around with guns. :)

...A lot of asians think all Americans are all on drugs, rich, and walk around with guns. :)

And that's my point. That doesn't happen by accident. There is a constant battle for the minds of the governed. US needs to attack Syria to get rid of that evil-doer Assad. But the Americans have grown tired of endless wars. Suddenly we have 'proof' that Assad is using chemical weapons on his own people. Americans fail to stir. Then 'presto' ISIS comes out of no where, destroying priceless historical artifacts, murdering 'Christians', and beheading children... Suddenly, no cost is too great to stop ISIS. Bingo, populace is ready for more war. Like I said, predictable. It's videos like this (and the YT proof of chemical attacks by Assad which turned out to be fake) that are not some simple random event. These are coordinated efforts to control our emotions against would-be enemies of our government.

"He who controls the media controls the minds of the public."
Noam Chomsky

We're witnessing it first hand... again.

Here's a very interesting comment made by someone at the link provided by the OP:

I don't know who wrote this report and why,but you can see that in the whole paper,no data or strong deep survey supported. I am Chinese,there only one or two deliberately killing traffic victims years ago,and then this report malicous enlarged it.Chinese are not monsters,and we are moral,just because we have a large population so there are different things happens,we need time to grow.I wish the editor can have some evidence and respect.And for those who comments,I want to say,what you believed,may be the things someones want you to do so.Please make your opinon really valuable.

Propaganda - and this girl calls it out. Unfortunately, most will not realize they're being manipulated.

Never forget there has been years of censorship and 'reality shaping' in China, even today. No, not to the level of North Korea. :)

(since propaganda was mentioned)

Back