How does Viofo A229-duo actually save clips?

beringtom

Reaction score
Country
Denmark
I am having some issues understanding how the "save/lock" button actually works and saves files.

I expected that once I pressed the button,it would lock a clip that starts 1min before i pressed the button, and stops 2 min after the press no matter how far the normal 5min clips have reached.
This image should show what i expected.
View attachment 1437

What i actually see is that only the ACTIVE currently recording clip is locked, and seeing that front and rear cam is recording out of sync gives some special cases where the wrong clips are saved.

This image illustrates what I'm actually seeing once i press the lock button.
In this situation the Front camera saves the "near miss" but might miss some of the situation.
The rear camera will miss the "near miss" completely and save the clip after the fact.

View attachment 1438

Can someone confirm / debunk my findings?
And also confirm if an actual accident follows this pattern?

Somehow the wrong (and not even my pictures) got inserted into the post.

Attachments

• expected_recording.drawio (1).png
    expected_recording.drawio (1).png
    12.4 KB · Views: 19
  • Actual recording pattern.png
    Actual recording pattern.png
    8.9 KB · Views: 18
That does seem odd, I can't really add anything as I have only just installed my A229 duo (complete with, now yes this is recommended, Oh, now it is not, dodgy Samsung Pro Endurance 256 Gb card)

However I wish that Viofo, and other manufacturers, would protect 3 files for each feed - the previous clip, the current one then the one after. Then you could be pretty confident that you would have all the footage you need for an incident irrespective of where the camera was in its clip cycle when you press the button.

Back